From: Sharon on
I'm running VPC 7 and after no problems or new installs yesterday, but today
I get this message when I start it up:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I can't seem to get it to boot from cd or in safe-mode any suggestions?
From: jg on

boot.ini problem ?
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)part(1)\windows=boot string like Microsoft
windows...?

more certain way to troubleshooting follows
Step 1: Run chkdsk /r from recovery console
==============================
1. Boot from CD and type in "R" to get into recovery console and press "1"
2. Type chkdsk /r and press "enter"
3. Please type exit after the chkdsk /r has completed and take out the CD
from the CD drive, restart the computer and see if the computer boot fine.

Step 2: Run bootcfg /rebuild from recovery console
==============================
1. Boot from CD and typed in "R" to get into recovery console and press "1"
2. Type bootcfg /rebuild and press "enter"
3. Please type exit after the bootcfg /rebuild has completed and take out
the CD from the CD drive, restart the computer and see if the computer boot
fine.

Step 3: Run fixboot and fixmbr from recovery console
==============================
1. Boot from CD and type in "R" to get into recovery console and press "1"
2. Type fixboot and press "enter"
3. Type fixmbr and press "enter"
4. Please type exit and take out the CD from the CD drive, restart the
computer and see if the computer boot fine.

In order to narrow down this problem, would you please also let me know the
following information:
1. Is there only one OS installed on your computer?
2. What action did you perform before this error appeared?

More Information
-------------------
320252 Error Message: Windows could not start because the following file
is missing or corrupt
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;320252

quoted from a private newgroup in response to hal.dll mising or corrupt.

From: Sharon on
ok , thanks for the suggestions but I'm still having problems-
Step 1 did not give me an optin to select 1 after entering the recovery
console but did run chkdsk /r and fixed one or more item but still has the
hal.dll error.
Step 2 after running bootcfg /rebuild gave the following error: Failed to
successfully scan disks for Windows installations. This error may be caused
by a corrupt file system, which would prevent Bootcfg from successfuly
scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors. I reran chkdsk and it
finished checking the volume fine. Computer still has hal.dll error.
Step 3 - Did fixboot and fixmbr and still have the hal.dll error.
VPC & only has Xp-Pro installed and I was working on Vb.net before shutting
down the previous evening, before I got the error starting up my computer.

Any other ideas?
Sharon

From: Ken Schaefer on
Boot to the Recovery Console.

Extract (using the extract command) the appropriate hal.dll file from your
Window XP Pro CD. Copy it to c:\windows\system32 on your VPC image. On your
Windows XP Pro CD, there are a few HAL files (hal.dl_ halAACPI.dl_
HALAPIC.dl_). I'm not sure which one you need though.

Cheers
Ken

[...]
:
: Any other ideas?
: Sharon
:
: "jg" wrote:
:
: >
: > ==============================
[...]
: > >

From: Sharon on
Ken -
When I try the copy command, I get a message access denied? Any ideas?
thanks
Sharon

Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Direct Convert .GHO to .VHD