From: Twayne on
In news:4F1681BB-8C1A-4F73-B71E-A20ED021EB1B(a)microsoft.com,
bk3000 <bk3000(a)discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> I've got a Dell laptop running XP, and after running a
> diagnostic test, got error code 0146 that hard drive was
> corrupted. Dell is sending me a new one, which I'll have to
> self-install.
>
> I can't remember backing up my entire system ever, so my
> question is, how should I go about saving all my settings
> and programs on the current hard drive? I've got a backup
> drive of 20gb, so I'm guessing I should put it all there,
> and also a few flash drives, but what method should I use?
> Should I go to the C:/ drive system properties and select
> the backup option or do stuff manually?

Use the backup option. Back up the boot drive letter.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: Twayne on
In news:FB3A0D66-8006-4018-B87E-CD66EFDDDAA0(a)microsoft.com,
Mark Adams <MarkAdams(a)discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> "bk3000" wrote:
>
>> I've got a Dell laptop running XP, and after running a
>> diagnostic test, got error code 0146 that hard drive was
>> corrupted. Dell is sending me a new one, which I'll have
>> to self-install.
>>
>> I can't remember backing up my entire system ever, so my
>> question is, how should I go about saving all my settings
>> and programs on the current hard drive? I've got a backup
>> drive of 20gb, so I'm guessing I should put it all there,
>> and also a few flash drives, but what method should I use?
>> Should I go to the C:/ drive system properties and select
>> the backup option or do stuff manually?
>
> If the machine still runs, Go out and buy Acronis True
> Image and a 1 TB USB hard drive. Boot the machine to the
> Acronis disk and make an image of your computer to the USB
> drive. When the new drive arrives from Dell, restore that
> image to the new drive. It might cost a little more to do
> it this way, but it is so much easier than reinstalling
> everything, it's worth it.

Why not use the drive mfr's clone program? Much faster & easier.

From: Twayne on
In news:67AEA172-67ED-480C-AEFA-669632864B23(a)microsoft.com,
Mark Adams <MarkAdams(a)discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> "Alias" wrote:
>
>> Mark Adams wrote:

>>> If the machine still runs, Go out and buy Acronis True
>>> Image and a 1 TB USB hard drive. Boot the machine to the
>>> Acronis disk and make an image of your computer to the
>>> USB drive. When the new drive arrives from Dell, restore
>>> that image to the new drive. It might cost a little more
>>> to do it this way, but it is so much easier than
>>> reinstalling everything, it's worth it.
>>
>> You can also do the same thing for free with the CD you
>> can download from Seagate, Western Digital, etc.
>>
>> --
>> Alias
>> .
>>

> Alias, Bob.
>
> It's been awhile since I've used these utilities. Since
> I've gotten Acronis I've not had to use them. I know they
> can clone drives, but can they make an image? The OP has a
> laptop and since two hard drives cannot be installed at the
> same time, a USB enclosure would be needed to clone to the
> new drive. This would also eliminate the necessity of
> purchasing the external hard drive. But, by buying Acronis
> and the USB drive, the OP could replace the failing drive
> and also have a reliable backup system. Costs more, but now
> he can backup everything all in one shot.

Exactly as can be done with XP's backup program.
Why not use the drive mfr's clone program? Much faster & easier.

From: Doum on
"Bob" <bob(a)nowhere.net> �crivait news:htjb4f$1cb$1(a)news.eternal-
september.org:

Hard drives, I replaced the original 160GB Hitachi by a 320 GB WD and added
a second 320 GB WD in the provided space. I wanted 7200 rpm drives and 320
GB were the biggest 7200 rpm available 2.5" drives at that time.

http://img256.imageshack.us/i/photo026k.jpg/

Unfortunatly, the cable for hooking it up was very hard to get by (and
quite expensive), the online store having it were in Europe and wouldn't
ship to North America. I managed to get it when my niece did a trip to
Portugal. I think it should have been supplied with the laptop.

http://img31.imageshack.us/i/50tl701009.jpg/

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Tue, 25 May 2010 19:30:02 -0700, Doum <me(a)domain.net> wrote:

> > You said this was a laptop. Laptops only have one hard drive.
>
> <snip>
>
> My laptop has two internal hard drives

I don't want to say you're wrong for sure, since there may be some
that do have two hard drives, but I've never seen one with two drives.

How do you know yours has two drives? It's much more likely that you
have one hard drive with two partitions on it.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup