From: Doum on
"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> �crivait

> On Tue, 25 May 2010 19:30:02 -0700, Doum <me(a)domain.net> wrote:
>

>> > You said this was a laptop. Laptops only have one hard drive.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> My laptop has two internal hard drives
>

> I don't want to say you're wrong for sure, since there may be some
> that do have two hard drives, but I've never seen one with two drives.
>
> How do you know yours has two drives? It's much more likely that you
> have one hard drive with two partitions on it.

I know it has two physical drives because I've installed the second one
myself.
From: Doum on
Doum <me(a)domain.net> �crivait news:XnF9D84C157ACF1Ddoumdomainnet@
207.46.248.16:

> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> �crivait

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> My laptop has two internal hard drives
>>

>> I don't want to say you're wrong for sure, since there may be some
>> that do have two hard drives, but I've never seen one with two drives.
>>
>> How do you know yours has two drives? It's much more likely that you
>> have one hard drive with two partitions on it.
>>

> I know it has two physical drives because I've installed the second one
> myself.

See that picture:

http://img256.imageshack.us/i/photo026k.jpg/

I am holding the drive support in my hand and you can see where it goes.

On the lower right corner of the pic, you can see part of the system drive.

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 16:00:10 -0700, Doum <me(a)domain.net> wrote:

> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> ?crivait

> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> My laptop has two internal hard drives
> >

> > I don't want to say you're wrong for sure, since there may be some
> > that do have two hard drives, but I've never seen one with two drives.
> >
> > How do you know yours has two drives? It's much more likely that you
> > have one hard drive with two partitions on it.
> >

> I know it has two physical drives because I've installed the second one
> myself.

OK, then I withdraw the implication of what I said. But it is very
unusual.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Mark Adams on

"Twayne" wrote:

> In news:FB3A0D66-8006-4018-B87E-CD66EFDDDAA0(a)microsoft.com,
> Mark Adams <MarkAdams(a)discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> > "bk3000" wrote:
> >
> >> I've got a Dell laptop running XP, and after running a
> >> diagnostic test, got error code 0146 that hard drive was
> >> corrupted. Dell is sending me a new one, which I'll have
> >> to self-install.
> >>
> >> I can't remember backing up my entire system ever, so my
> >> question is, how should I go about saving all my settings
> >> and programs on the current hard drive? I've got a backup
> >> drive of 20gb, so I'm guessing I should put it all there,
> >> and also a few flash drives, but what method should I use?
> >> Should I go to the C:/ drive system properties and select
> >> the backup option or do stuff manually?
> >
> > If the machine still runs, Go out and buy Acronis True
> > Image and a 1 TB USB hard drive. Boot the machine to the
> > Acronis disk and make an image of your computer to the USB
> > drive. When the new drive arrives from Dell, restore that
> > image to the new drive. It might cost a little more to do
> > it this way, but it is so much easier than reinstalling
> > everything, it's worth it.
>
> Why not use the drive mfr's clone program? Much faster & easier.

I see your point. Why pay for the fully featured version, when you can get
the watered down one for free? Why buy Windows when you can get Linnux for
free? You set me straight, Twayne. I'll be damned if I'll pay for any
software again.
From: spamlet on

"Newman" <cloakedrun2001(a)yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> First things first...
> >
> Once your clean install is up and running, buy one of these:
>
> http://www.a-power.com/product-9403-817-1
>
> or something similar.

Hi Newman,

I've been following this thread as I need to replace drives on both a laptop
and a desktop pc.
The usb-sata etc adaptor seems a very useful device, but after 'googling'
for them here in the UK I am a bit unsure what to buy. There are many
different ones on offer and a wide range of prices. Also there are warnings
from some users about some of them containing faulty chips that can corrupt
data. The last thing anyone wants in such a device is that kind of
unreliability! Some of the advertisers do specify which chip set is used,
but others do not, so 'buying something similar' is not proving to be as
straight forward as expected.

Does anyone have advice of which models/suppliers are fully reliable and
safe, and available in the UK at a reasonable price?

Thanks,