From: William M. Klein on

"Robert" <no(a)e.mail> wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:26:34 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:
>
>>In article <gfl2q319rd84spnb10q3f9huuvjq2254f9(a)4ax.com>,
>>Robert <no(a)e.mail> wrote:

<snip>

>>Now think of expanding your experience, Mr Wagner... and imagine that the
>>TEST TEAM (caps original) makes a copy of their documentation... and
>>returns it (in exchange for a signature, of course), to the programmer...
>
> Tests plans and results, along with all other project documentation, reside in
> a framework
> repository that's accessible to everyone. There is no reason to print them
> out.
>
>>who brings this stack o' foolscap along when he sits down with other folks
>>at a Prod Implementation meeting.
>
> Our meetings are held in cyberspace using NetMeeting or similar. Participants
> are all over
> the world; they are not sitting in a room.
>
> Moreover, the development team is often disbanded before the project goes to
> production.
> There is no reason for a programmer to be the project's advocate; that's the
> job of
> project managers.

Let me get this stratight, you are saying the development team gets disbanded
BEFORE the application has made it thru testing (by the testing team).

No wonder that shop uses contractors, their management is REALLY screwed up. <G>

--
Bill Klein
wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

From: Robert on
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:25:13 GMT, "William M. Klein" <wmklein(a)nospam.netcom.com> wrote:

>"Robert" <no(a)e.mail> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:26:34 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:

><snip>
>>>
>>>Now think of expanding your experience, Mr Wagner... and imagine that the
>>>TEST TEAM (caps original) makes a copy of their documentation... and
>>>returns it (in exchange for a signature, of course), to the programmer...
>>
>> Tests plans and results, along with all other project documentation, reside in
>> a framework
>> repository that's accessible to everyone. There is no reason to print them
>> out.
>>
>>>who brings this stack o' foolscap along when he sits down with other folks
>>>at a Prod Implementation meeting.
>>
>> Our meetings are held in cyberspace using NetMeeting or similar. Participants
>> are all over
>> the world; they are not sitting in a room.
>>
>> Moreover, the development team is often disbanded before the project goes to
>> production.
>> There is no reason for a programmer to be the project's advocate; that's the
>> job of
>> project managers.
>>
>Let me get this stratight, you are saying the development team gets disbanded
>BEFORE the application has made it thru testing (by the testing team).

It's normal practice in ALL big companies where I've worked. There's no reason to keep a
team of developers who have nothing to do for two months. They do keep one or two, called
'fix it team', to fix defects found during testing.

By the same principle, they don't convene a test team until a week before testing begins.

>No wonder that shop uses contractors, their management is REALLY screwed up. <G>

Contractors and employees both charge their time to project and activity codes. Each code
has a staffing budget.

The reason companies use contractors is not necessarily screwed up management, the reason
is bureaucracy. The bigger the company, the more time employees spend in nonproductive
meetings. It gets to the point where they don't have time to do their jobs. They can
handle routine maintenance, but not maintenance PLUS significant change. Meetings cannot
be cancelled because no single person is responsible for calling nor approving them. Most
meeting time gets charged to ongoing maintenance. When time spent on 'maintenance' becomes
excessive, the application becomes a candidate for outsourcing. Last week, my system and a
dozen others was outsourced for $100M/yr, a 20% saving to the company. The outsource
company deducts 20% profit, does the same work with (a) 60% of the people or (b) the same
number of people earning 60% as much. How? Mostly by eliminating time-wasting meetings,
including Team Building events. The losers are (a) 40% of former employees or (b) 90% of
former employees with a corresponding win for programmers in India.
From: Robert on
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:42:31 -0700, "Frank Swarbrick" <Frank.Swarbrick(a)efirstbank.com>
wrote:

><med2q3hfb6vi8gbtvf436o07sr4k1jg0n5(a)4ax.com>, Robert<no(a)e.mail> wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:55:18 +0000, Frederico Fonseca
>> <real-email-in-msg-spam(a)email.com>
>> wrote:

>>> PROCEDURE....
>>> exec sql
>>> FETCH NEXT CURSOR-X
>>> into :T2-NAME, :T2-DEPT
>>> for 100 rows
>>> end-exec
>>>
>>>It seems that Windows/Unix versions do not allow multiple fetch/insert
>>>rows. Pitty.
>>
>> Hard to believe. I think the non-singleton select caused the error.
>
>You're welcome to try it yourself, or at least provide an example that you
>think would work and I could try it.

Change the select to:
EXEC SQL
DECLARE C1 CURSOR FOR
select name, dept
from table2
where name in (select distinct name from test.table1)
END-EXEC.
EXEC SQL OPEN C1 END-EXEC.
EXEC SQL
FETCH FIRST C1 INTO :TABLE2-ENTRY FOR 100 ROWS
END-EXEC.
EXEC SQL CLOSE C1 END-EXEC.

From: Robert on
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:56:10 -0700, "Frank Swarbrick" <Frank.Swarbrick(a)efirstbank.com>
wrote:

> SQL0060W The "COBOL" precompiler is in progress.
> 19 SQL0008N The token "occurs" found in a host variable
> declaration is not valid.
> 51 SQL0306N The host variable "TABLE2-ENTRY" is undefined.
> SQL0095N No bind file was created because of previous
> errors.
> SQL0091W Precompilation or binding was ended with "3"
> errors and "0" warnings.
>
>I also tried this and got the same error
> 05 table2-entry occurs 100.
>
>Now of course you can remove the occurs, but then you're stuck with fetching
>one row at a time.
>
>I see no way to do a multi row (at once) fetch using DB2/LUW.
>
>More thoughts would be welcome.

I believe this will work for sure:

05 table2-entry.
10 t2-name pic x(30) occurs 100.
10 t2-dept pic x(04) occurs 100.

fetch t2_curs
into :t2-name, :t2-dept
From: Frank Swarbrick on
<c3p4q3tji85k6tegudomp2k4f4bmtk744o(a)4ax.com>, Robert<no(a)e.mail> wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:56:10 -0700, "Frank Swarbrick"
> <Frank.Swarbrick(a)efirstbank.com>
> wrote:
>
>> SQL0060W The "COBOL" precompiler is in progress.
>> 19 SQL0008N The token "occurs" found in a host variable
>> declaration is not valid.
>> 51 SQL0306N The host variable "TABLE2-ENTRY" is undefined.
>> SQL0095N No bind file was created because of previous
>> errors.
>> SQL0091W Precompilation or binding was ended with "3"
>> errors and "0" warnings.
>>
>>I also tried this and got the same error
>> 05 table2-entry occurs 100.
>>
>>Now of course you can remove the occurs, but then you're stuck with
> fetching
>>one row at a time.
>>
>>I see no way to do a multi row (at once) fetch using DB2/LUW.
>>
>>More thoughts would be welcome.
>
> I believe this will work for sure:
>
> 05 table2-entry.
> 10 t2-name pic x(30) occurs 100.
> 10 t2-dept pic x(04) occurs 100.
>
> fetch t2_curs
> into :t2-name, :t2-dept

Nope. I tried that one too.

LINE MESSAGES FOR tabtest.sqb
------
SQL0060W The "COBOL" precompiler is in progress.
21 SQL0314N The host variable "t2-name" is incorrectly
declared.
22 SQL0314N The host variable "t2-dept" is incorrectly
declared.
20 SQL4007N The host structure "table2-entry" has no fields.
18 SQL4007N The host structure "table2-area" has no fields.
51 SQL0104N An unexpected token "t2_curs" was found following
"<identifier>". Expected tokens may include: "INTO".
SQL0095N No bind file was created because of previous
errors.
SQL0091W Precompilation or binding was ended with "6"
errors and "0" warnings.

Frank