From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
"nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote:

>if i open it with notepad and add stuff, will it fail to mount ?

Depends on what you changed. :-) You might have just wiped out some
mailboxes, the attachment table, or something else that wouldn't make
the database unmountable (just unusable).

If you're goig to do this, make sure you /kill/ the IS process and
/then/ stuff something into the databae. That'll ensure that the
database is in an inconsistent state when you mount (or try to mount)
it.

>will
>isinteg and eseutil fix the database?

No. A restore will, followed by a replay of the log files.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: nobody on
i tried opening with notepad but it says too large to open.

so I did it in dos

echo #%$#@#$^@#%@#%@#%@#% >> priv1.edb

it worked

but when i tried to mount it it still mounts

From: Oliver Moazzezi [MVP] on
Do this if this is just a test scenario. Dismount the database, then rename
the files, say priv_old.edb and stm. Mount database.

You will find it will still mount, but create an empty database, you can,
use any backups you have to perform your DR.

If you are just wanting to play around with eseutil though however, you will
have to come up with a really good way of corrupting the database.

Oliver

From: Andy David {MVP} on
On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 15:17:25 -0800, "nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote:

>I havent came across a database that will not mount yet. but if i do what
>will i do first?

First try to determine why.
If its unmountable after troubleshooting, restore from backup.

But, that doesnt mean understandin how eseutil and isinteg work and
how they differ isnt woth knowing.
So, mess around with those utils on a test store if you want.

From: nobody on
ok i added some weird characters to one database but still mounts. so i
dismounted it and ran

isinteg /g priv1.edb

E:\EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA>"c:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin\eseutil.exe" /g priv1.edb

Microsoft(R) Exchange Server Database Utilities
Version 6.5
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Initiating INTEGRITY mode...
Database: priv1.edb
Streaming File: priv1.STM
Temp. Database: TEMPINTEG3516.EDB

Checking database integrity.

Integrity check completed. Database is CORRUPTED!

but database still mounts. whats going on?