From: Bert L.am on
I would like to create (or rather emulate) the mythbusters logo. Mythbusters
is a TV series on Discovery channel very popular with 12 year old boys as
well as boys above that age.
I'm going to try to write my sons name in this style (metal looking
background, metal letters, bevel). Has anyone ever seen a tutorial that can
help me in the correct direction?

TIA

B.ert L. from NL (EU)

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
From: Andrew Morton on
Bert L.am wrote:
> I would like to create (or rather emulate) the mythbusters logo.
> Mythbusters is a TV series on Discovery channel very popular with 12
> year old boys as well as boys above that age.
> I'm going to try to write my sons name in this style (metal looking
> background, metal letters, bevel). Has anyone ever seen a tutorial
> that can help me in the correct direction?

Well, if your son's name uses only letters from M,Y,T,H,B,U,S,E,R,S then you
could go to http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/mythbusters.html,
cut the letters out and arrange them appropriately.

Otherwise, would you get in trouble if you used the kitchen for casting
metal?

(There are plenty of Photoshop tutorials findable with google, at a quick
glance it looks like you could combine some from www.myjanee.com to get the
desired effect.)

Andrew

From: fungusamungus on

"Bert L.am" <bert(a)l.am.com> wrote in message news:43c66f5f$1(a)news.nb.nu...
|I would like to create (or rather emulate) the mythbusters logo.
Mythbusters
| is a TV series on Discovery channel very popular with 12 year old boys as
| well as boys above that age.
| I'm going to try to write my sons name in this style (metal looking
| background, metal letters, bevel). Has anyone ever seen a tutorial that
can
| help me in the correct direction?
|
| TIA
|
| B.ert L. from NL (EU)

The font they use looks like a simple "Stamp" font. As for the rest, a
rounded, smooth (not too crisp) bevel, and for the texture, look up "rust".

From: Hunt on
In article <43c66f5f$1(a)news.nb.nu>, bert(a)l.am.com says...

>I would like to create (or rather emulate) the mythbusters logo. Mythbusters
>is a TV series on Discovery channel very popular with 12 year old boys as
>well as boys above that age.
>I'm going to try to write my sons name in this style (metal looking
>background, metal letters, bevel). Has anyone ever seen a tutorial that can
>help me in the correct direction?
>
>TIA
>
>B.ert L. from NL (EU)

First thing I'd do is to make a mask for the outline of the letters (of your
choice) and use a small, round, hard-edged brush with jitter, to work on the
mask. The metal-like background can be easily made, and if you's do an emboss
to make the type appear to come out of it, the effect should be similar.

There are several add-ons that "distress" type. Some of those effects might
fill the bill. Seems that AutoFX has one. Someplace, I have a pile of type-
effects, but don't have them on this machine, and cannot recall the producer.

Hunt

From: Hunt on
In article <dq7525124c9(a)news3.newsguy.com>, noone(a)hunt.com says...

>In article <43c66f5f$1(a)news.nb.nu>, bert(a)l.am.com says...
>>
>>I would like to create (or rather emulate) the mythbusters logo. Mythbusters
>>is a TV series on Discovery channel very popular with 12 year old boys as
>>well as boys above that age.
>>I'm going to try to write my sons name in this style (metal looking
>>background, metal letters, bevel). Has anyone ever seen a tutorial that can
>>help me in the correct direction?
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>B.ert L. from NL (EU)
>
>First thing I'd do is to make a mask for the outline of the letters (of your
>choice) and use a small, round, hard-edged brush with jitter, to work on the
>mask. The metal-like background can be easily made, and if you's do an emboss
>to make the type appear to come out of it, the effect should be similar.
>
>There are several add-ons that "distress" type. Some of those effects might
>fill the bill. Seems that AutoFX has one. Someplace, I have a pile of type-
>effects, but don't have them on this machine, and cannot recall the producer.
>
>Hunt

While searching for a font (problem) on my system, I think I found the exact
font that you need, to do the MythBuster's treatment, Wobbly BRK. I do not
recall where this font came from, but it has the distressed edge, that I
suggested "making," with a mask. One good thing about using the font, and not
having to work on an outline Selection, is that it will stay editible in the
Text Layer. Might want to go to one of the fonts NG's and inquire about Wobbly
BRK. Also, www.whatthefont.com (I think that is correct), might offer similar
or Wobbly.

Hunt