From: Richard Lamboj on

Hello,

try DRBD with OCFS2. I have tried this, but when the traffic was to high and
DRBD has two Masters(Both can write), than one Server will crash - from my
experience. Maybe a FUSE Cluster Filesystem can help you? I have written one,
but never finished it, or tested it in a Productiv Environment. There are
some others Cluster Filesystems in High Level Programming Languages, but i
don't know how fast this would be.

Kind Regards

Richi

On 03/24/2010 03:07 PM, PTaco wrote:
> Is there a way to synch multiple servers at once so when one is changed,
> samba updates all the other servers at the same time automatically?

Do you mean sync account information (e.g. if you want multiple domain
controllers) or changes in the files stored on the server? For
multiple domain controllers LDAP backend is the way to go. If you want
to sync files you could use rsync and have a cron job - I don't know
how you could have a trigger though.
>> Is there a way to synch multiple servers at once so when one is changed,
>> samba updates all the other servers at the same time automatically?
>>

> Do you mean sync account information (e.g. if you want multiple domain
> controllers) or changes in the files stored on the server?    For multiple
> domain controllers LDAP backend is the way to go.  If you want to sync files
> you could use rsync and have a cron job -  I don't know how you could have a
> trigger though.

The OP was talking about files. I suggested a network raid 1 type
setup with DRBD but forgot that that would not work unless you
combined that with GFS or OCFS2. I had thought about the rsync (or
even unison) solution but it depends on how much time can elapse
between the file changing on one server and that change appearing on
the others.

John
Forgot to send this to the list:

On 26 March 2010 15:44, John Drescher <drescherjm(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is there a way to synch multiple servers at once so when one is changed,
>>> samba updates all the other servers at the same time automatically?
>>>

>> Do you mean sync account information (e.g. if you want multiple domain
>> controllers) or changes in the files stored on the server? For multiple
>> domain controllers LDAP backend is the way to go. If you want to sync files
>> you could use rsync and have a cron job - I don't know how you could have a
>> trigger though.
>
> The OP was talking about files. I suggested a network raid 1 type
> setup with DRBD but forgot that that would not work unless you
> combined that with GFS or OCFS2. I had thought about the rsync (or
> even unison) solution but it depends on how much time can elapse
> between the file changing on one server and that change appearing on
> the others.

How about something with rsync and inotify? A program could use
inotify to watch for changes, queue up the changed files and call
rsync on the files in the queue. If a file is changed more than once
before being copied the first time, the other entries in the queue
could be skipped.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot(a)gmail.com>

DRDB is a whole file system correct?