From: calin.morar on
Recently I ugraded my PC up to the ifamous SP2 .. all is fine just a
small tiny problem. My HP 3670 scanner stopped working. I reinstalled
the drivers and did all the tricks in the book to get the thing working
and no luck so far - even talked with HP support :) - what a waste of
time :) ..

Here is what it happens: I start the preview (or scan directly - no
matters) .. the lamp makes few moves (i can hear it) and then the thing
remains on Warming up lamp message indefinitely until either me either
Windows gets bored :)

I changed USB cables etc. did self test for the scanner .. reinstalled
drivers and HP's software .. same result. And this on two machines with
of course the same Win version.

Oh ... I am no novice in doing this things ... I have wrote few drivers
(for Linux of course as any NORMAL programmer does :) ) and I know how
the things should work. I think MR Bill G has made SP2 so secure that
it refuses to even download data from my scanner :) .. kiding And no
ofense to Windows lovers, but I am still kicking my self for not
chosing an Linux supported scanner and letting me taken by the nice
3670 ..:) . If it keeps screwing with me I'll start wrinting a driver
for this thing in Linux -- a SANE backend. Probably I'll write the
driver faster than solving this Windows mess :)

Any brilliant idea is welcome .

From: Surfer! on
In message <1145327789.044171.214740(a)v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>,
calin.morar(a)gmail.com writes
>Recently I ugraded my PC up to the ifamous SP2 .. all is fine just a
>small tiny problem. My HP 3670 scanner stopped working. I reinstalled
>the drivers and did all the tricks in the book to get the thing working
>and no luck so far - even talked with HP support :) - what a waste of
>time :) ..
>
>Here is what it happens: I start the preview (or scan directly - no
>matters) .. the lamp makes few moves (i can hear it) and then the thing
>remains on Warming up lamp message indefinitely until either me either
>Windows gets bored :)
>
>I changed USB cables etc. did self test for the scanner .. reinstalled
>drivers and HP's software .. same result. And this on two machines with
>of course the same Win version.
>
>Oh ... I am no novice in doing this things ... I have wrote few drivers
>(for Linux of course as any NORMAL programmer does :) ) and I know how
>the things should work. I think MR Bill G has made SP2 so secure that
>it refuses to even download data from my scanner :) .. kiding And no
>ofense to Windows lovers, but I am still kicking my self for not
>chosing an Linux supported scanner and letting me taken by the nice
>3670 ..:) . If it keeps screwing with me I'll start wrinting a driver
>for this thing in Linux -- a SANE backend. Probably I'll write the
>driver faster than solving this Windows mess :)
>
>Any brilliant idea is welcome .

I take it you are using the latest driver...

Firstly, does the built-in firewall cause a problem?

Secondly, can another application access the scanner using it's TWAIN
interface?

Thirdly have you tried Google?

Fourthly are there any hidden or ghost drivers for the scanner present?
Set the following DOS variable and then use View, Show Hidden Devices in
Device Manager. If you have any uninstall them as well as the software
etc. and have another go.

devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

I ran into a problem with my Canon camera and the latest software in
that the Canon software couldn't access the camera but TWAIN could. In
the end I reformatted and reinstalled XP - it solved a few other
problems.

--
Surfer!
Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net
From: CSM1 on
<calin.morar(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Recently I ugraded my PC up to the ifamous SP2 .. all is fine just a
> small tiny problem. My HP 3670 scanner stopped working. I reinstalled
> the drivers and did all the tricks in the book to get the thing working
> and no luck so far - even talked with HP support :) - what a waste of
> time :) ..
>
> Here is what it happens: I start the preview (or scan directly - no
> matters) .. the lamp makes few moves (i can hear it) and then the thing
> remains on Warming up lamp message indefinitely until either me either
> Windows gets bored :)
>
> I changed USB cables etc. did self test for the scanner .. reinstalled
> drivers and HP's software .. same result. And this on two machines with
> of course the same Win version.
>
> Oh ... I am no novice in doing this things ... I have wrote few drivers
> (for Linux of course as any NORMAL programmer does :) ) and I know how
> the things should work. I think MR Bill G has made SP2 so secure that
> it refuses to even download data from my scanner :) .. kiding And no
> ofense to Windows lovers, but I am still kicking my self for not
> chosing an Linux supported scanner and letting me taken by the nice
> 3670 ..:) . If it keeps screwing with me I'll start wrinting a driver
> for this thing in Linux -- a SANE backend. Probably I'll write the
> driver faster than solving this Windows mess :)
>
> Any brilliant idea is welcome .

No need to reinvent the wheel....
Download and install the correct driver. (209 MB download).

Windows XP drivers are here for HP3670 scanner:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&cc=us&lang=en&dlc=en&product=298540&os=228

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

From: Terry on
Check this link out:
http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml;jsessionid=YEL5P5TCKYQGUQSNDBECKHSCJUMEKJVN?articleId=185302749

It seems that the latest Microsoft security patches and HP hardware
don't like each other.

From: CSM1 on
"Terry" <tyamada(a)wans.net> wrote in message
> Check this link out:
> http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml;jsessionid=YEL5P5TCKYQGUQSNDBECKHSCJUMEKJVN?articleId=185302749
>
> It seems that the latest Microsoft security patches and HP hardware
> don't like each other.

Does seem that way.

Just uninstall the patch that caused the problems.
Microsoft does screw up once in a while.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com