From: Jay on
When I open iCal (version 3.0.8) the are no entries visible on the
calendar. There are no calendars listed down the left-hand side and a
lot of the menu items are greyed out. Clicking the + to add a new
calendar has no effect.

The application will not quit unless I force quit.

iMac with OSX 10.5.8

Any help gratefully received.

Jay
From: Jim on
Jay <trident047(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> When I open iCal (version 3.0.8) the are no entries visible on the
> calendar. There are no calendars listed down the left-hand side and a
> lot of the menu items are greyed out. Clicking the + to add a new
> calendar has no effect.
>
> The application will not quit unless I force quit.
>
> iMac with OSX 10.5.8
>
> Any help gratefully received.

First thing I'd be inclined to try is to move the files
'com.apple.ical.plist' and 'com.apple.iCal.helper.plist' from your
~/Library/Preferences folder to your desktop.

Give that a try and see if it helps. If not, move the files back
(overwriting the news ones that will have been created).

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
From: Jim on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> First thing I'd be inclined to try is to move the files
> 'com.apple.ical.plist' and 'com.apple.iCal.helper.plist' from your
> ~/Library/Preferences folder to your desktop.

Forgot to add - do this when iCal *isn't* running.

Jim
From: Jay on
On Jul 18, 5:50 pm, j...(a)magrathea.plus.com (Jim) wrote:
> Jim <j...(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
> > First thing I'd be inclined to try is to move the files
> > 'com.apple.ical.plist' and 'com.apple.iCal.helper.plist' from your
> > ~/Library/Preferences folder to your desktop.
>
> Forgot to add - do this when iCal *isn't* running.
>
> Jim
> --
> "Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
> product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
> understatement since the captain of the Titanic reported some
> slightly damp tablecloths."http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/

Jim

With iCal NOT open, I found the 'com.apple.ical.plist' which I moved
to the desktop. I could not find 'com.apple.iCal.helper.plist'.

I then opened iCal and the 'com.apple.ical.plist' file was recreated.
Unfortunately it has made no difference to the iCal calendar and I
still had to use 'Force Quit' to close it. Do you have any other
suggestions?

Jay
From: Sara Merriman on
In article
<3bb3c704-cf53-4743-8978-1f27313628ef(a)q35g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
Jay <trident047(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 18, 5:50�pm, j...(a)magrathea.plus.com (Jim) wrote:
> > Jim <j...(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
> > > First thing I'd be inclined to try is to move the files
> > > 'com.apple.ical.plist' and 'com.apple.iCal.helper.plist' from your
> > > ~/Library/Preferences folder to your desktop.
> >
> > Forgot to add - do this when iCal *isn't* running.
> >
> > Jim
> > --
> > "Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
> > product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
> > understatement since the captain of the Titanic reported some
> > slightly damp tablecloths."http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
>
> Jim
>
> With iCal NOT open, I found the 'com.apple.ical.plist' which I moved
> to the desktop. I could not find 'com.apple.iCal.helper.plist'.
>
> I then opened iCal and the 'com.apple.ical.plist' file was recreated.
> Unfortunately it has made no difference to the iCal calendar and I
> still had to use 'Force Quit' to close it. Do you have any other
> suggestions?
>
> Jay

I haven't followed the whole thread so apologies of this has already
been mentioned, but have you tried creating a new user account and
checking how iCal behaves in that? If you see the same problems then I'd
suggest digging out the install disks and a copy of Pacifist and
reinstalling iCal.

--
Sara

Cuddler of rats, cats and husband