From: Jochem Huhmann on
thnews(a)poboxmolar.com.invalid (Tim Hodgson) writes:

> I think Sak mentioned this possibllity the other day, and I'm definitely
> seeing increasingly sluggish response on a 3GS between reboots. Anyone
> seen any word on this?

Doesn't need to be a real leak. Safari seems to cache much more now and
since it always runs in the background it just may suck up more memory.
iOS 4 is certainly designed for having more memory available and the
apps will try to exploit that. The 256MB of the 3GS are tight anyway.

Jochem

--
"A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away."
From: Matthew Sylvester on
Tim Hodgson <thnews(a)poboxmolar.com.invalid> wrote:

> I think Sak mentioned this possibllity the other day, and I'm definitely
> seeing increasingly sluggish response on a 3GS between reboots. Anyone
> seen any word on this?

If you install iStat
<http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/istat-sys-monitoring-battery/id303034517
?mt=8> (just 59p at the moment) you can keep an eye on memory usage. It
shows the usual wired/active/inactive/free along with page ins and outs
From: Jochem Huhmann on
matthew.sylvester(a)gmail.com (Matthew Sylvester) writes:

> Tim Hodgson <thnews(a)poboxmolar.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I think Sak mentioned this possibllity the other day, and I'm definitely
>> seeing increasingly sluggish response on a 3GS between reboots. Anyone
>> seen any word on this?
>
> If you install iStat
> <http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/istat-sys-monitoring-battery/id303034517
> ?mt=8> (just 59p at the moment) you can keep an eye on memory usage. It
> shows the usual wired/active/inactive/free along with page ins and
> outs

No, it doesn't. It does this for a remote Mac server, not for the iPhone.

Jochem

From: Jim on
Jochem Huhmann <joh(a)gmx.net> wrote:

> matthew.sylvester(a)gmail.com (Matthew Sylvester) writes:
>
> > Tim Hodgson <thnews(a)poboxmolar.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> I think Sak mentioned this possibllity the other day, and I'm definitely
> >> seeing increasingly sluggish response on a 3GS between reboots. Anyone
> >> seen any word on this?
> >
> > If you install iStat
> > <http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/istat-sys-monitoring-battery/id303034517
> > ?mt=8> (just 59p at the moment) you can keep an eye on memory usage. It
> > shows the usual wired/active/inactive/free along with page ins and
> > outs
>
> No, it doesn't. It does this for a remote Mac server, not for the iPhone.

Part of the description reads "See your iPhone's stats for battery,
memory, disk space, Wi-Fi and Cell IP addresses, uptime & load
averages."

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
From: Jochem Huhmann on
jim(a)magrathea.plus.com (Jim) writes:

> Jochem Huhmann <joh(a)gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> matthew.sylvester(a)gmail.com (Matthew Sylvester) writes:

>> > If you install iStat
>> > <http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/istat-sys-monitoring-battery/id303034517
>> > ?mt=8> (just 59p at the moment) you can keep an eye on memory usage. It
>> > shows the usual wired/active/inactive/free along with page ins and
>> > outs
>>
>> No, it doesn't. It does this for a remote Mac server, not for the iPhone.
>
> Part of the description reads "See your iPhone's stats for battery,
> memory, disk space, Wi-Fi and Cell IP addresses, uptime & load
> averages."

Yes, but this is quite useless to analyse memory problems. The more
interesting stuff is just not possible with the public APIs and this
apps offers more detailed things only for a remote Mac. And it surely
doesn't show wired/active/inactive/free stats and page ins and page outs
for the iPhone (and the iPhone has no swap to begin with anyway).

Jochem