From: Mark Ingle on
My partner is looking to get an iPad; and a friend of mine is coming to
visit me from the US (New York state).

Even with the sales taxes, it looks like quite a saving; are there any
drawbacks apart from it having the wrong plug?

I notice from my iPhone 4 that Apple now seems to have started using a
country specific adaptor, rather than the previous system of having a
removable country connector, though I don't know whether this applies to
the iPad.
From: Woody on
Mark Ingle <markinglenospam(a)nospamfastmail.fm> wrote:
> My partner is looking to get an iPad; and a friend of mine is coming
> visit me from the US (New York state).
>
> Even with the sales taxes, it looks like quite a saving; are there any
> drawbacks apart from it having the wrong plug?
>
> I notice from my iPhone 4 that Apple now seems to have started using a
> country specific adaptor, rather than the previous system of having a
> removable country connector, though I don't know whether this applies
> the iPad.

The iPad has a changeable end plug, although that won't help you much as
you only get the one. So you would need the other adapter. Check the
warantee is worldwide though, as the us has much shorter warantees than
we do.

I bought my iPod in the us. Not specifically to save money, they just
weren't out yet in the uk

--
Woody
From: Mark Ingle on
Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:

> The iPad has a changeable end plug, although that won't help you much as
> you only get the one. So you would need the other adapter. Check the
> warantee is worldwide though, as the us has much shorter warantees than
> we do.

If it's the same one as on the older iPhones (and MacBooks, etc), I've
got quite a few in stock!

Now just need to decide whether to go for the cheaper WiFi only one, or
the 3G?

There are some people saying that geting the WiFi only one and getting
one of those MiFi dongles gives one more flexibility for occasional use,
and I do get provided with a 3G T-Mobile dongle from work (though it is
just the usual USB one, not MiFi).

The 3G iPad is 130 dollars more expensive, and I suppose if I cut the
t-mobile simcard to size, presumably it would work; and if I wanted to
use it on the dongle, I've got one of the adapters from O2? It is a
difficult decision.

From: Woody on
Mark Ingle <markinglenospam(a)nospamfastmail.fm> wrote:

> Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > The iPad has a changeable end plug, although that won't help you much as
> > you only get the one. So you would need the other adapter. Check the
> > warantee is worldwide though, as the us has much shorter warantees than
> > we do.
>
> If it's the same one as on the older iPhones (and MacBooks, etc), I've
> got quite a few in stock!
>
> Now just need to decide whether to go for the cheaper WiFi only one, or
> the 3G?

That is a decision that only you can make!

> There are some people saying that geting the WiFi only one and getting
> one of those MiFi dongles gives one more flexibility for occasional use,
> and I do get provided with a 3G T-Mobile dongle from work (though it is
> just the usual USB one, not MiFi).

I have a mifi. I got it off ebay and put the sim of my USB 3 dongle in
it.

> The 3G iPad is 130 dollars more expensive, and I suppose if I cut the
> t-mobile simcard to size, presumably it would work; and if I wanted to
> use it on the dongle, I've got one of the adapters from O2? It is a
> difficult decision.

It was easy for me. I have a wifi one.

--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
From: SteveH on
Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:

> > The 3G iPad is 130 dollars more expensive, and I suppose if I cut the
> > t-mobile simcard to size, presumably it would work; and if I wanted to
> > use it on the dongle, I've got one of the adapters from O2? It is a
> > difficult decision.
>
> It was easy for me. I have a wifi one.

Same here - with an unlocked MiFi running generic firmware, so I can run
it on any SIM. Will be especially useful when I'm on holiday later this
year.
--
SteveH
 |  Next  |  Last