From: D.M. Procida on
What's the best way to achieve this? I don't think it can be done in the
Finder, because the files need to be in the right order and the Mac does
in alphabetically (which turns out to be wrong).

Daniele
From: David Empson on
D.M. Procida <real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk> wrote:

> What's the best way to achieve this? I don't think it can be done in the
> Finder, because the files need to be in the right order and the Mac does
> in alphabetically (which turns out to be wrong).

That isn't the problem. The files are stored "alphabetically" on a DVD.

The problem is that for compatibility with all DVD players, the DVD must
be written using the correct file system: UDF. When Finder is used to
burn a DVD, it writes it using a hybrid ISO 9660 and HFS+ file system.

Some DVD players will be able to handle the ISO 9660 file system
(ignoring the HFS+ part), but most require UDF. You therefore have to
use software which is able to burn the DVD using the correct file
system, and that isn't Finder. iDVD and Toast are two that immediately
come to mind, but there are many others.

The VIDEO_TS folder must be placed at the top level of the DVD, and thre
should be an empty AUDIO_TS folder alongside it.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: Rowland McDonnell on
D.M. Procida <real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk> wrote:

> What's the best way to achieve this? I don't think it can be done in the
> Finder, because the files need to be in the right order and the Mac does
> in alphabetically (which turns out to be wrong).

DVDRemaster does it for me.

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Ian McCall on
On 2010-08-01 03:55:17 +0100,
real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid (Rowland McDonnell) said:

> D.M. Procida <real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> What's the best way to achieve this? I don't think it can be done in the
>> Finder, because the files need to be in the right order and the Mac does
>> in alphabetically (which turns out to be wrong).
>
> DVDRemaster does it for me.

There's the freebie Burn too:
<http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html>

Cheers,
Ian

From: Jim on
Ian McCall <ian(a)eruvia.org> wrote:

> On 2010-08-01 03:55:17 +0100,
> real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid (Rowland McDonnell) said:
>
> > D.M. Procida <real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> What's the best way to achieve this? I don't think it can be done in the
> >> Finder, because the files need to be in the right order and the Mac does
> >> in alphabetically (which turns out to be wrong).
> >
> > DVDRemaster does it for me.
>
> There's the freebie Burn too:
> <http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html>

Burn used to crash if you tried to make it do a DVD menu - this is no
longer the case, I'm glad to see.

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious