From: Sara on
In article <0001HW.C87C8FAB0ACC2199F0407648(a)news.eclipse.co.uk>,
Stimpy <stimpy1997uk(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 14:35:43 +0100, Gwynne Harper wrote
> > Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone else got that problem? Software that you fetch when you hear
> >> about it, installed for `as and when I need to do what it does', then
> >> promptly forgotten about?
> >
> > Yup - sometimes, given the cryptic names, I can't even remember what
> > it's actually for, or even why I thought I wanted it in the first place.
>
> if it's not obvious from the name, I add a comment to the file so I remember
> what it's for!

Far too sensible.

--
Sara

Run out of ideas for a sig for the moment
From: Jim on
On 2010-08-02, Sara <saramerriman(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>> > Yup - sometimes, given the cryptic names, I can't even remember what
>> > it's actually for, or even why I thought I wanted it in the first place.
>>
>> if it's not obvious from the name, I add a comment to the file so I remember
>> what it's for!
>
> Far too sensible.

My thoughts exactly :-)

In fact I quite often forget that you can add comments in the Get Info
panel.

Jim
--
Twitter:@GreyAreaUK

"If you have enough book space, I don't want to talk to you."
Terry Pratchett
From: Sara on
In article <slrni5dlcp.1jpe.jim(a)wotan.magrathea.local>,
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> >> if it's not obvious from the name, I add a comment to the file so I
> >> remember
> >> what it's for!
> >
> > Far too sensible.
>
> My thoughts exactly :-)
>
> In fact I quite often forget that you can add comments in the Get Info
> panel.

Until I read the above, I'd had no idea that you could.

From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 15:29:40 +0100, Sara
<saramerriman(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <slrni5dlcp.1jpe.jim(a)wotan.magrathea.local>,
> Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

>> > Far too sensible.
>>
>> My thoughts exactly :-)
>>
>> In fact I quite often forget that you can add comments in the Get Info
>> panel.
>>
>Until I read the above, I'd had no idea that you could.

That's too far to look, for me - I tend to just put a note in the
filename. And the serial, if I've registered it.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Jim on
On 2010-08-02, Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

>>> My thoughts exactly :-)
>>>
>>> In fact I quite often forget that you can add comments in the Get Info
>>> panel.
>>>
>>Until I read the above, I'd had no idea that you could.
>
> That's too far to look, for me - I tend to just put a note in the
> filename. And the serial, if I've registered it.

I tend to email serials to one of my GMail addresses.

Jim