From: Woody on
Tim Streater <timstreater(a)waitrose.com> wrote:

> Can all you iPhone users send mails wherever you happen to be - if so
> how is your device configured? My BiL was holding his iPhone up to the
> camera and I read the mirror-writing settings, but couldn't see very
> much in the Sending Mail Settings part.

My phone can. I have both yahoo and gmail which provide a password
protected mail sending, and my own local mail server which has the same.

You won't be able to use your ISPs mail sending unless you have a secure
connection to it. Many ISPs will offer a webmail and a connection if you
ask them about it (or search).

--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
From: Martin S Taylor on
Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote
> As above - usually it's the same servers, but no-password only works
> from the ISP's network, while passworded works from anywhere.
>
> So set it up passworded.

And if you can't do this, just set up a googlemail account and *send* mail
using that. (No need to use it to receive.)

Mail on the iPhone will try one server, and if it can't send mail using that
server will switch to one of the others set up on the phone.

MST

From: Woody on
Martin S Taylor <mst(a)hRyEpMnOoVtEiTsHm.cIo.uSk> wrote:
> Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote
>> As above - usually it's the same servers, but no-password only works
>> from the ISP's network, while passworded works from anywhere.
>>
>> So set it up passworded.
>
> And if you can't do this, just set up a googlemail account and *send*
> mail
> using that. (No need to use it to receive.)

You probably will need it to receive as gmail likes to use it's own
address even if you set the return address to yours.

> Mail on the iPhone will try one server, and if it can't send mail
> using that
> server will switch to one of the others set up on the phone.

Will it? Mine just tells me I can't send if I use the wrong account. I
can then select the mail and sent it from the next account

--
Woody
From: Martin S Taylor on
Woody wrote
>> Mail on the iPhone will try one server, and if it can't send mail
>> using that
>> server will switch to one of the others set up on the phone.
>
> Will it? Mine just tells me I can't send if I use the wrong account. I
> can then select the mail and sent it from the next account

Yes.

Settings > Mail &c > MyAccount > Account Info > SMTP

lists a Primary Mail Server and several Other SMTP Servers. If it can't use
the Primary, it tries the others, in order.

MST

From: Woody on
Martin S Taylor <mst(a)hRyEpMnOoVtEiTsHm.cIo.uSk> wrote:
> Woody wrote
>>> Mail on the iPhone will try one server, and if it can't send mail
>>> using that
>>> server will switch to one of the others set up on the phone.
>>
>> Will it? Mine just tells me I can't send if I use the wrong account.
>> can then select the mail and sent it from the next account
>
> Yes.
>
> Settings > Mail &c > MyAccount > Account Info > SMTP

I don't have that setting at all. Maybe ut is different in an iPhone 4
running os 4. Mine is an iPhone 3 running os 4.

I have 'accounts' but not 'my account'. Each account has an smtp
setting.

Oh, I see, that is new for 4. Each account lists every other account
smtp server with a default to being off.

--
Woody