From: Wes Groleau on
On 08-03-2010 21:21, John Varela wrote:
> Exactly. "Gilbert& Sullivan" and "Children's Music" are among the
> genres that appear twice in my list.

I see two spaces after the & with none before. Is the other one
the same? Or could there be a trailing space after? Are the
two apostrophes the same, or are they ' and ' ?

We have a stupid bug in some code at work: If you triple-click
to grab a whole line and copy, the clipboard also gets the line-break.
Paste it in a field intended to be only one line, and the line-break
becomes a space. That makes it different from one without a space.

Now comes the good part. When the display software asks the database
for a list without duplicates, those two aren't the same so both are
served. Then the display software trims all leading and trailing
spaces, so anyone who knows how to check can't find any difference.

--
Wes Groleau

Hispanics Hold the Key to Texas' Economic Future
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/russell?itemid=1564
From: Sander Tekelenburg on
In article <51W5y0sPNk52-pn2-hdBvFJOpLIh2(a)localhost>,
"John Varela" <newlamps(a)verizon.net> wrote:

> Is there any way to delete a Genre from iTunes?

You can delete (only) user-created genres, simply by ensuring that none
of you tracks are set to be of that genre.

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>

Mac user: "Macs only have 40 viruses, tops!"
PC user: "SEE! Not even the virus writers support Macs!"
From: John Varela on
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 12:10:42 UTC, Wes Groleau
<Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org> wrote:

> On 08-03-2010 21:21, John Varela wrote:
> > Exactly. "Gilbert& Sullivan" and "Children's Music" are among the
> > genres that appear twice in my list.
>
> I see two spaces after the & with none before.

That appears to be an artifact of your news reader. My newsreader
displays my posting with one space before and one after the &. My
newsreader displays the quotation of my posting inside your posting
with two spaces after the &, as you describe.

> Is the other one
> the same? Or could there be a trailing space after? Are the
> two apostrophes the same, or are they ' and  ?

I'm confident that they are identical.

--
John Varela
From: John Varela on
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 18:26:37 UTC, Sander Tekelenburg
<user(a)domain.invalid> wrote:

> In article <51W5y0sPNk52-pn2-hdBvFJOpLIh2(a)localhost>,
> "John Varela" <newlamps(a)verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > Is there any way to delete a Genre from iTunes?
>
> You can delete (only) user-created genres, simply by ensuring that none
> of you tracks are set to be of that genre.

I don't see how that would work on dupes.

--
John Varela
From: Wayne C. Morris on
In article <51W5y0sPNk52-pn2-hUM6I91hBGfC(a)localhost>,
"John Varela" <newlamps(a)verizon.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 12:10:42 UTC, Wes Groleau
> <Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org> wrote:
>
> > On 08-03-2010 21:21, John Varela wrote:
> > > Exactly. "Gilbert& Sullivan" and "Children's Music" are among the
> > > genres that appear twice in my list.
> >
> > I see two spaces after the & with none before.
>
> That appears to be an artifact of your news reader. My newsreader
> displays my posting with one space before and one after the &. My
> newsreader displays the quotation of my posting inside your posting
> with two spaces after the &, as you describe.

That's how I see both posts too.

> > Is the other one
> > the same? Or could there be a trailing space after? Are the
> > two apostrophes the same, or are they ' and  ?
>
> I'm confident that they are identical.

Do you have a particular reason for your confidence, other than "They look the
same"?

Even if you have every reason to believe they're identical, it wouldn't hurt to
try resetting the genre for those songs. Select the music library, sort by
genre, shift-select all the Gilbert & Sullivan songs, Get Info, and set the
genre again. That ought to eliminate the duplicate genre.

(You could also try creating a Smart Playlist, for example "genre starts with
'Gilb'", then select all the songs listed in that playlist and change their
genre.)

If that doesn't work, try changing them all to a new temporary genre (e.g.
"Gulbert"), then look to see if there are still any songs tagged as "Gilbert &
Sullivan". When the Gilbert & Sullivan genre no longer appears (or when the
duplicate is gone), select all the "Gulbert" songs and change them to what they
should be.