From: Wes Groleau on
On 08-04-2010 15:46, John Varela wrote:
> That appears to be an artifact of your news reader. My newsreader

interesting. Thunderbird has its flaws but that's one that's hard
to understand.

It may be something non-standard in headers. I do see that somewhere
in the loop me-to-you-to-me, some server or client ignored, changed, or
removed the encoding header.

--
Wes Groleau

"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.
But I'm not so sure about the universe."
-- Albert Einstein
From: gtr on
On 2010-08-04 14:35:19 -0700, Wayne C. Morris said:

> InEven if you have every reason to believe they're identical, it
> wouldn't hurt to
> try resetting the genre for those songs. Select the music library, sort by
> genre, shift-select all the Gilbert & Sullivan songs, Get Info, and set the
> genre again. That ought to eliminate the duplicate genre.

I agree. I've created a number of duped or misspelled genre's. Once
all of them are selected and changed to either of the two tags, the
other tag goes away.

Set a smart folder to include anything with a Genre starting with
"Gilb". Change them all to either one. Or change them to "Pizza".
You'll find the Gilb's are gone.

I just did it myself on a random subset.
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

From: Wes Groleau on
Report on an experiment:

I selected a track and invoked Get Info.
Looked at the Genre menu and noted no duplicates.

Selected another track (could have done the same one)
and invoked GetInfo. Put cursor in the Genre box
at the end of the text and added a space.

Selected another track and invoked Get Info.
Looked at the Genre menu and noted that genre
appeared twice.

Closed iTunes and opened "iTunes Music Library.xml"
in an editor. Searched for that genre with a space,
and sure enough, found

I could have done a search and replace there, but
I am aware that a lot of my MP3 files have that
string within them, so I'm not sure whether the
XML is sufficient.

But iTunes will allow you to select many files
at once and change the Genre of all with one GetInfo dialog.

--
Wes Groleau

There ain't no right wing,
there ain't no left wing.
There's only you and me and we just disagree.
(apologies to Jim Krueger)
From: David Empson on
Richard Maine <nospam(a)see.signature> wrote:

> Gerry <everyday(a)sunrise.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <51W5y0sPNk52-pn2-hdBvFJOpLIh2(a)localhost>,
> > "John Varela" <newlamps(a)verizon.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any way to delete a Genre from iTunes? I have inadvertantly
> > > created some dupes, and many of the existing default genres will
> > > never be used by me. I'd like to get rid of them.
> >
> > No, they are part of the iTunes app.
> >
> > What do you mean by "inadvertantly [sic] created some dupes"?
>
> Well, the default list might be part of the iTunes app and there might
> be no way to delete items from it. I'm not sure of that part (though I'd
> be interested in the answer - if I was more confident of its accuracy,
> because I'll never use most of them).
>
> But you can create your own genres. Searching on "genre" in iTunes help
> explicitly mentions how. Indeed, when I look at the list of available
> genres for a song, "custom" is one of them, as the help suggests, and it
> allows me to start typing in an arbitrary name. It seems fairly evident
> to me that one could easily create duplicates that way. Darned if I'm
> about to try the last step of hitting return and actually creating such
> a duplicate, because then I'd end up in the same situation as the OP....
> and if there really wasn't a way to fix it, then I'd be annoyed.

I tried. It is impossible to create duplicate genres in iTunes 9.2.1. If
I type in a custom genre which matches an existing one (standard or
custom), it uses the existing one.

If I type in a custom genre which didn't previously exist, the list now
shows that new custom genre. If I then edit the only song using that
genre to something else, the custom entry disappears from the list
again.

In other words, the list of genres displayed in the menu by iTunes is a
combination of the built-in standard genres, and any custom ones you are
actually using on one or more items in your library. Disused custom
genres are forgotten.

In the OP's case, what has probably happened is the "duplicate" custom
genres aren't actually duplicates at all. There will be a subtle
difference between the genre names, perhaps as simple as capitalisation,
punctuation or a space after the genre name.

I was able to replicate this situation with an apparent duplicate genre
by appending a space to the genre name for one song. As soon as I edited
that song's genre to get rid of the trailing space, the "duplicate"
genre entry disappeared from the list.

To fix:

Sort your library by genre, locate the first song with the "duplicate"
genre, and do a Get Info on it. Click in the Genre field and do a Select
All. Note whether there are any extra spaces before, after or in the
middle. You can use the arrow keys to count the characters if necessary.

Repeat for the last song with the "duplicate" genre. I'll bet you see a
difference between the genres of the first and last songs, such as the
latter having a trailing space.

Now you can select all of the songs with both variants of the genre, do
a Get Info and change all of their genre to the same value (preferably
the one without the trailing space).

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: John Varela on
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 21:35:19 UTC, "Wayne C. Morris"
<wayne.morris(a)this.is.invalid> wrote:

> Even if you have every reason to believe they're identical, it wouldn't hurt to
> try resetting the genre for those songs. Select the music library, sort by
> genre, shift-select all the Gilbert & Sullivan songs, Get Info, and set the
> genre again. That ought to eliminate the duplicate genre.

A great suggestion! It worked.

Now if only I could get rid of all of the excess built-in
categories...

--
John Varela