From: Raoul on
HI,

I'm trying to install SAS v9.1, however, I cannot update microsoft
runtime components 7.0.
I've checked whether some of the .dll files (see below) are read only,
but none are, so that can't be the problem.Any suggestions? Thanks.

Raoul

Atl70.dll (Unicode) 7.0.9466.0 All versions
Mfc70.dll 7.0.9466.0 All versions
Mfc70u.dll 7.0.9466.0 All versions
Msvci70.dll 7.0.9466.0 All versions
Msvcp70.dll 7.0.9466.0 All versions
Msvcr70.dll 7.0.9466.0 All versions
etc.

From: Gerhard Hellriegel on
Try to stop everything which might be running. Detatch the computer from the
network and stop all anti-virus, anti-spam, anti-anything software and
firewalls. Start the task manager to control, what might be running still.
Perhaps have a look on all the autoexec, autorun in registry, ... - stuff,
deactivate them and restart the system.
How ist it now, when you install on your fresh-booted windows?
Not better?
Can you deinstall the MS runtime-components? If you have the chance, do it
and try to reinstall that tool from scratch.
Hope you are successful!
Gerhard

From: Gerhard Hellriegel on
another thing: if you are still not successful, try to find actual releases
of that MS tools on the MS webpages and install them. Reboot your PC after
that and try to install SAS after that. If there is still something missing,
the install routine should tell you that.
Tell us about your success.
Did you contact SI's tech support? Maybe they had already heared about that
problem.
Regards,
Gerhard

From: Raoul on
Thanks Gerhard,

I contacted SAS and they told me that the problem was that I have winXP
Home edition and not professional. According to them, SAS doesn;t run
on WinXp Home.

From: Gerhard Hellriegel on
Raoul,
this I cannot believe! There are no elementary differences between the Home
and Prof edition! The differences are all in some network security things.
There are some guides in the web how you can change the home into a prof
edition with a few patches.
I installed SAS 9.1.2 on a PC with windows home! So that seems to be not the
right idea!
What I'd do is to find out, what the MS components are and try to get them
from MS instead of SAS. If that doesn't help, SI should send you a CD with a
former SAS version, e.g. 9.1.1 or 9.1.2 (only the MS tools). They should do it.
However, if it is no problem for you to change to prof-edition, that might
be the easiest way to go.

What SAS modules you want to install? Maybe if there is much with
communication and net-security, that with the prof edition could be true.
Somewhat with CONNECT, BI servers, SPDS, ...? My installation on
home-edition was only Base, FSP, ACCESS to PC files, GRAPH.

Cheers,
Gerhard