From: Caryl on
Quicken 2008D, Windows XP

One of the companies that I use for investing merged with another
company and is changing its name to that of the other company. Can I
handle this by just going to the account details page and changing the
name there, or is there something else that I should do?

Thank you.
Caryl
From: TomYoung on
On Feb 8, 7:16 pm, Caryl <c.dreibl...(a)verizon.net> wrote:
> Quicken 2008D, Windows XP
>
> One of the companies that I use for investing merged with another
> company and is changing its name to that of the other company. Can I
> handle this by just going to the account details page and changing the
> name there, or is there something else that I should do?
>
> Thank you.
> Caryl

Yes, that should be fine. You might make a note to yourself in the
comments section about the name change and when it took place, just in
case the issue ever comes up.

In theory you could also create a new Quicken account using the "other
company" name and then do a "Shares transferred between accounts"
action, but I've found that sometimes to be a problem when I've tried
in; some sort of bug in Quicken I've never sorted out. If nothings
really changing but the name of the account (e.g., from "my old
investment company brokerage account" to "the company they merged with
brokerage account") then I'd just change the account's name.

Tom Young

From: Caryl on

> If nothings
> really changing but the name of the account (e.g., from "my old
> investment company brokerage account" to "the company they merged with
> brokerage account") then I'd just change the account's name.

Thank you, Tom, for your response. I am sorry that it has taken me so
long to acknowledge your help.

Since it was just a name change, I changed the account name in
Quicken. The account was Bear Stearns and when they merged with J.P.
Morgan they were known as "Bear Stearns, a division of J.P. Morgan."
But now they have changed to J.P. Morgan Securities, so I figured it
was time to change the name on Quicken. I added a reminder to the
transaction list so I can remember when I made the change.

Caryl