From: dieHard� on
On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 07:10:15 -0800 (PST), TomYoung <sombodee(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Feb 8, 5:39�am, dieHard� <dieH...(a)msn.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 09:18:25 -0800 (PST), TomYoung <sombo...(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Just killing time I went over to the Quicken Live Community site to
>> >see what the chatter was about Intuit abandoning desktop Quicken in
>> >favor of Mint and I couldn't find a single post on the subject! �Tried
>> >several different searches with various combinations of the words
>> >"Intuit", "Quicken", "abandon", "abandoning", "Mint", and "Mint.com"
>> >and didn't find a thing.
>>
>> >Odd.
>>
>> >Tom Young
>>
>> Intuit doesn't care about customer concerns, and their "Community" is
>> the last place to try and reach anyone from the company.
>>
>> Ask any Intuit employee how they feel about ignorance and apathy and
>> their response would be "We don't know and we don't care".
>
>Oh, you're preaching to the choir here. I'm guessing Intuit might be
>applying a little judicious censorship in their "Community." You'd
>think there would be a least *some* comment on the subject over there.
>
>Tom Young

more than just censorship... they actively use creative "editing" and
outright removal of posts that paint their cash cow in anything less
than a favorable light.
the entire "community" is nothing more than a hangout for the fanboys
& rabid apologists, a few of which practice here.
From: Robert Neville on
"Mr.Jan" <jan.hertzsch(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>You know, I have not seen anything about them abandoning the desktop
>version. Quicken Online? Yes, that is why they bought Mint.com but
>where did yo see that they were going to abandon the desktop version?

Google Groups is your friend. Earlier in this thread the link was posted to the
BusinessWeek article where the new Quicken Product Manager discussed his
sunsetting plans for Quicken Desktop and plans to migrate those users to Mint.
From: Han on
"Mr.Jan" <jan.hertzsch(a)gmail.com> wrote in

> On Feb 9, 10:14�am, Robert Neville <d...(a)bother.com> wrote:
>> "Mr.Jan" <jan.hertz...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >You know, I have not seen anything about them abandoning the desktop
>> >version. Quicken Online? �Yes, that is why they bought Mint.com but
>> >where did yo see that they were going to abandon the desktop
>> >version?
>>
>> Google Groups is your friend. Earlier in this thread the link was
>> posted
> to the
>> BusinessWeek article where the new Quicken Product Manager discussed
>> his sunsetting plans for Quicken Desktop and plans to migrate those
>> users to
> Mint.
>
> My mistake. I did not see the line about discontinuing the desktop
> version five years out. Must have had my beer goggles on or something.
> Thanks for pointing me to it.

I think 5 years from now is a long time. Who knows what is going on
then. I might retire fairly soon, and then perhaps I can reenter all my
data into one of the Quicken competitors, such as they are. On the other
hand, as long as I get at least an authoritative copy to keep on a home
machine, much of what I do is downloading from internet sources anyway.
Therefore, doing the "heavy" computing in the cloud should be OK. But I
still like to see (at least previously entered) data without the
necessity of an internet connection.

--
Best regards
Han
From: Tim Conway on

"Han" <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote in message
> "Mr.Jan" <jan.hertzsch(a)gmail.com> wrote in

>>> Google Groups is your friend. Earlier in this thread the link was
>>> posted
>> to the
>>> BusinessWeek article where the new Quicken Product Manager discussed
>>> his sunsetting plans for Quicken Desktop and plans to migrate those
>>> users to
>> Mint.
>>
>> My mistake. I did not see the line about discontinuing the desktop
>> version five years out. Must have had my beer goggles on or something.
>> Thanks for pointing me to it.
>
> I think 5 years from now is a long time. Who knows what is going on
> then. I might retire fairly soon, and then perhaps I can reenter all my
> data into one of the Quicken competitors, such as they are. On the other
> hand, as long as I get at least an authoritative copy to keep on a home
> machine, much of what I do is downloading from internet sources anyway.
> Therefore, doing the "heavy" computing in the cloud should be OK. But I
> still like to see (at least previously entered) data without the
> necessity of an internet connection.

While it would be nice to have everything on the home pc, I could live with
it on the internet. Right now with windows and broadband, the internet is
interwoven with everyday computing so much that it's almost seamless.

From: Han on
"Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote in

> "Han" <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote in message
>> "Mr.Jan" <jan.hertzsch(a)gmail.com> wrote in

>>> to the
>>> Mint.
>>>
>>> My mistake. I did not see the line about discontinuing the desktop
>>> version five years out. Must have had my beer goggles on or
>>> something. Thanks for pointing me to it.
>>
>> I think 5 years from now is a long time. Who knows what is going on
>> then. I might retire fairly soon, and then perhaps I can reenter all
>> my data into one of the Quicken competitors, such as they are. On
>> the other hand, as long as I get at least an authoritative copy to
>> keep on a home machine, much of what I do is downloading from
>> internet sources anyway. Therefore, doing the "heavy" computing in
>> the cloud should be OK. But I still like to see (at least previously
>> entered) data without the necessity of an internet connection.
>>

> While it would be nice to have everything on the home pc, I could live
> with it on the internet. Right now with windows and broadband, the
> internet is interwoven with everyday computing so much that it's
> almost seamless.

Almost seamless. The problem is what happens if the "cloud" has an
oopsie? And I need some data now? Even granting that the cloud should
indeed have multiple backup redundancy, if the backbone goes down, or
something gets scrambled between your screen and the data source, can you
wait until things are back up? That presumes that your data are indeed
secure.

--
Best regards
Han