From: Notan on
On 2/11/2010 7:51 PM, John Pollard wrote:
> Andrew Hamilton wrote:
>
>> If only there was a viable competitor to Intuit, I would have stopped
>> using Quicken (and TurboTax) years ago ...
>
> I doubt it's an accident that there is no "viable competitor".
>
> It's my assumption that most all customers - of any product - will switch
> to a better product ... if one exists. I surely would be one of those.
>
> The more important question is: what is the reason people believe no such
> *better* product exists. Entry into the software market is about as cheap
> as can be imagined. Would-be software gurus abound (so they keep telling
> everyone).
>
> If it's so simple to produce software that can compete with Quicken ...
> why has no one done it? Why is it that the software company with money to
> burn - failed to produce a competetive product. Why is that the "free
> software" movement has failed to provide a competetive product?
>
> Those are largely rhetorical questions. The reason is: it isn't that
> easy.
>
> In a free market system - such as that for personal financial software -
> those who believe a better product can be produced; must put up, or shut
> up.

Over the years, Intuit has established a relationship with many
Financial Institutions. Until they (Intuit) open their proprietary file
system to others (which won't happen), or FIs allow new companies to
access their records, I doubt there will be any serious competition.

From: Sharx35 on

"John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Andrew Hamilton wrote:
>
>> If only there was a viable competitor to Intuit, I would have stopped
>> using Quicken (and TurboTax) years ago ...
>
> I doubt it's an accident that there is no "viable competitor".
>
> It's my assumption that most all customers - of any product - will switch
> to a better product ... if one exists. I surely would be one of those.
>
> The more important question is: what is the reason people believe no such
> *better* product exists. Entry into the software market is about as cheap
> as can be imagined. Would-be software gurus abound (so they keep telling
> everyone).
>
> If it's so simple to produce software that can compete with Quicken ...
> why has no one done it? Why is it that the software company with money to
> burn - failed to produce a competetive product. Why is that the "free
> software" movement has failed to provide a competetive product?
>
> Those are largely rhetorical questions. The reason is: it isn't that
> easy.
>
> In a free market system - such as that for personal financial software -
> those who believe a better product can be produced; must put up, or shut
> up.
>
> --
>
> John Pollard
> Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

Most people these days seem to have little interest in frugality or other
ways of carefully monitoring how their money is spent. When I tell someone
that I can account for every penny of spending, income, net worth, etc..they
are usually shocked.

From: Andrew Hamilton on
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:14:13 -0600, "scott s." <75270_3703a(a)csi.xcom>
wrote:

>"Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote in

>I imagine the business model is not to sell software, but to get
>eyeballs to the web where they can more easily advertise and
>upsell you on Intuit web design, Intuit loans, etc.

You're assuming that there IS a business model, and not just a
lemming-like rush to SaaS "because that's what everyone is doing these
days."

-AH

From: John Pollard on
Notan wrote:

> Over the years, Intuit has established a relationship with many
> Financial Institutions. Until they (Intuit) open their proprietary
> file system to others (which won't happen), or FIs allow new
> companies to access their records, I doubt there will be any serious
> competition.

Establishing business relationships is one of the things a business needs
to do; but existing business relationships with one company don't prevent
new business relationships with another company ... if they did, the first
company with a given product/service would be the only company with that
product/service. Money and Mint, to name but two, were able to get data
from many (most?) of the same businesses that Quicken gets data from ...
after Quicken had established relationships with those businesses.

You can pickup a script off the web today, for free, that (with possible,
relatively minor, modifications) will allow you to pull (in a One Step
Update manner) transaction data from your financial institutions in OFX
format ... suitable for importing into Money (format-wise, it is suitable
for importing into Quicken; but for the Quicken requirement that the data
be from a verifiable Quicken "partner", I believe it would import
successfully into Quicken). No need to establish any new business
relationships, nor to know Money's proprietary file structure.

From: Notan on
On 2/12/2010 9:26 AM, John Pollard wrote:
> Notan wrote:
>>
>> Over the years, Intuit has established a relationship with many
>> Financial Institutions. Until they (Intuit) open their proprietary
>> file system to others (which won't happen), or FIs allow new
>> companies to access their records, I doubt there will be any serious
>> competition.
>
> Establishing business relationships is one of the things a business needs
> to do; but existing business relationships with one company don't prevent
> new business relationships with another company ... if they did, the first
> company with a given product/service would be the only company with that
> product/service. Money and Mint, to name but two, were able to get data
> from many (most?) of the same businesses that Quicken gets data from ...
> after Quicken had established relationships with those businesses.
>
> You can pickup a script off the web today, for free, that (with possible,
> relatively minor, modifications) will allow you to pull (in a One Step
> Update manner) transaction data from your financial institutions in OFX
> format ... suitable for importing into Money (format-wise, it is suitable
> for importing into Quicken; but for the Quicken requirement that the data
> be from a verifiable Quicken "partner", I believe it would import
> successfully into Quicken). No need to establish any new business
> relationships, nor to know Money's proprietary file structure.

Money has been discontinued.

Mint is a read-only service.

I don't see either of these as substitute for Quicken.

I also don't see anyone else with the relationship Intuit
has established with FIs. (Most of my FIs have Help Desks,
with one of the options being "if you're having trouble
with Quicken or MS Money...")

I'd love to see a Quicken substitute, without Intuit-like
arrogance.

If it does happen, it's not going to be anytime soon.