From: dieHard� on
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 13:43:48 -0500, "Tim Conway"
<tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>>> While it would be nice to have everything on the home pc, I could live
>>> with it on the internet. Right now with windows and broadband, the
>>> internet is interwoven with everyday computing so much that it's
>>> almost seamless.
>>
>> Almost seamless. The problem is what happens if the "cloud" has an
>> oopsie? And I need some data now? Even granting that the cloud should
>> indeed have multiple backup redundancy, if the backbone goes down, or
>> something gets scrambled between your screen and the data source, can you
>> wait until things are back up? That presumes that your data are indeed
>> secure.
>
>Good point. Hopefully they will have it all backed up and instantly
>available. History shows that that isn't always the case though. I find it
>frightening to put all my data in someone else's hands. But, OTOH, even the
>best laid plans at home can fail too. It looks as though we're always
>vulnerable.

I'd rather have my personal private financial data securely in MY
hands rather than on some faceless, nameless server out in cyberspace.
Screw that.

That's why I not only do daily backups to my main HD but also to an SD
card and to an external HD. That, and I have Quicken installed on my
desktop AND two laptops. I even have a copy of Pocket Quicken on an
old Axim X51v with a fairly solid two-way sync.
This setup hasn't failed me in 20+ years, and I don't suspect it will
anytime soon... I want to be sure my info is safe, rather than just
"hope" someone else is doing it.
Not to mention... once my info is "out there" - who else has access to
it? I guarantee you, somebody does.
From: Mikel Sunova on

"Han" <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote in message
> "Mikel Sunova" <msuno(a)att.net> wrote in
>
>> Yes, but much less so when we can maintain control over our own apps,
>> our own data. To rely on someone else to maintain, secure and present
>> our data for our use how and when it is needed is a frightening
>> thought and will inevitably cost the user, who has no other choice
>> (which is another issue relevant to the discussion).
>
> If you keep all your backups in the same location, a fire can wipe you
> out.
> If you keep some off site, you also relinquish some control.

Agreed. I keep a backup HD offsite in a safe deposit box (2 HDs...rotating),
but I must admit that it gets 'rotated' not nearly as often as it should
(not even close). I must do something about that one day soon.

> I like redundancy, and that would be how Intuit should approach this -
> redundancy and control by the owner of the data, under multimodal access.

The problem is, given Intuit's track record of looking out for itself (even
at the expense of their own customers), how can we trust them to keep what
is most vaulable to us? To them, it's a buck gained, to us, it can often be
our livelihood or more. Trust is built, and although I've had no issues with
Intuit lately, I've also not had reason to deal with them. I still have a
sour taste in my mouth from past experiences with them. Trust Intuit? No, my
old school leanings dictate that they must earn my trust. Their software is
undoubtedly the best option for me (as it is now...), but if having Intuit
manage my data for me is my only option, I'll figure something else out.

Mikel

From: Notan on
On 2/10/2010 9:52 AM, Tim Conway wrote:

> "Han" <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote in message
>> "Mr.Jan" <jan.hertzsch(a)gmail.com> wrote in

>>> to the
>>> Mint.
>>>
>>> My mistake. I did not see the line about discontinuing the desktop
>>> version five years out. Must have had my beer goggles on or something.
>>> Thanks for pointing me to it.
>>
>> I think 5 years from now is a long time. Who knows what is going on
>> then. I might retire fairly soon, and then perhaps I can reenter all my
>> data into one of the Quicken competitors, such as they are. On the other
>> hand, as long as I get at least an authoritative copy to keep on a home
>> machine, much of what I do is downloading from internet sources anyway.
>> Therefore, doing the "heavy" computing in the cloud should be OK. But I
>> still like to see (at least previously entered) data without the
>> necessity of an internet connection.
>>

> While it would be nice to have everything on the home pc, I could live
> with it on the internet. Right now with windows and broadband, the
> internet is interwoven with everyday computing so much that it's almost
> seamless.

The same technology that makes data access seamless to you, frequently
makes the same data (i.e. your data) access seamless to others.
From: Notan on
On 2/11/2010 6:17 AM, Mr.Jan wrote:
> On Feb 10, 8:35 pm, Notan<notan(a)addressthatcanbespammed> wrote:
>> On 2/10/2010 9:52 AM, Tim Conway wrote:
>>

>>> "Han"<nob...(a)nospam.not> wrote in message

>>> While it would be nice to have everything on the home pc, I could live
>>> with it on the internet. Right now with windows and broadband, the
>>> internet is interwoven with everyday computing so much that it's almost
>>> seamless.
>>
>> The same technology that makes data access seamless to you, frequently
>> makes the same data (i.e. your data) access seamless to others.
>
> I think the idea is to vote with your dollars. Quicken is looking at
> this process as a business model. To say they don't care about their
> customers is true only that if they could get us to donate money
> without sending a product they would do it. So would your local
> barber or baker. I have never read of anyone breaking Quicken's
> encryption or hacking into Quicken to steal personal financial
> information. By hacking, I don't mean finding your password on a post
> it note.
>
> I think Quicken provides a very secure platform with excellent
> functionality. I started doing my personal accounting in a spreadsheet
> (Lotus!) and would go back to it if I thought Quicken was any more of
> a threat than the bank's or brokerage firms themselves. One thing I
> like about MINT.COM is that it will notify you if there is a large
> transaction. Most of what I use Quicken for today is to make sure
> nobody is playing with my accounts.

I, too, use Quicken for a "quick check" overview of my finances.

What bothers me is the idea of keeping ALL my statements, and the
associated access data, in one, online location. Currently, if one
of my FIs gets hacked (knock one wood, it hasn't happened yet), I
only have to deal with that one. Can you imagine the nightmare of
having ALL your FIs getting hacked at the same time!

Then again, maybe there'd be no more of a threat than there is now.
From: Mikel Sunova on

"Notan" <notan(a)addressthatcanbespammed> wrote in message
> On 2/11/2010 6:17 AM, Mr.Jan wrote:

>>> The same technology that makes data access seamless to you, frequently
>>> makes the same data (i.e. your data) access seamless to others.
>>
>> I think the idea is to vote with your dollars. Quicken is looking at
>> this process as a business model. To say they don't care about their
>> customers is true only that if they could get us to donate money
>> without sending a product they would do it. So would your local
>> barber or baker. I have never read of anyone breaking Quicken's
>> encryption or hacking into Quicken to steal personal financial
>> information. By hacking, I don't mean finding your password on a post
>> it note.
>>
>> I think Quicken provides a very secure platform with excellent
>> functionality. I started doing my personal accounting in a spreadsheet
>> (Lotus!) and would go back to it if I thought Quicken was any more of
>> a threat than the bank's or brokerage firms themselves. One thing I
>> like about MINT.COM is that it will notify you if there is a large
>> transaction. Most of what I use Quicken for today is to make sure
>> nobody is playing with my accounts.
>
> I, too, use Quicken for a "quick check" overview of my finances.
>
> What bothers me is the idea of keeping ALL my statements, and the
> associated access data, in one, online location. Currently, if one
> of my FIs gets hacked (knock one wood, it hasn't happened yet), I
> only have to deal with that one. Can you imagine the nightmare of
> having ALL your FIs getting hacked at the same time!
>
> Then again, maybe there'd be no more of a threat than there is now.

I'm not receptive at all to the 'Cloud' concept. I can't imagine that
they've plugged all possible security holes, and, of course, the bad guys
will figure out a way to get through many that have been plugged. I imagine
that, as time passes and technology advances, security technology will
eventually manage to stay ahead of the thieves. The bad news is that likely,
it will be a Big Brother event that will impact us in ways that neither we
nor the thieves will consider positive.

One other cloud issue that occurs to me is that the marketeers will find a
way to exploit it, all to our disadvantage and irritation.

Mikel