From: Tim Conway on

"Han" <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote in message
> "Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote in
>

>> "Han" <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote in message
>>> "Mr.Jan" <jan.hertzsch(a)gmail.com> wrote in

>>> I think 5 years from now is a long time. Who knows what is going on
>>> then. I might retire fairly soon, and then perhaps I can reenter all
>>> my data into one of the Quicken competitors, such as they are. On
>>> the other hand, as long as I get at least an authoritative copy to
>>> keep on a home machine, much of what I do is downloading from
>>> internet sources anyway. Therefore, doing the "heavy" computing in
>>> the cloud should be OK. But I still like to see (at least previously
>>> entered) data without the necessity of an internet connection.
>>>

>> While it would be nice to have everything on the home pc, I could live
>> with it on the internet. Right now with windows and broadband, the
>> internet is interwoven with everyday computing so much that it's
>> almost seamless.
>
> Almost seamless. The problem is what happens if the "cloud" has an
> oopsie? And I need some data now? Even granting that the cloud should
> indeed have multiple backup redundancy, if the backbone goes down, or
> something gets scrambled between your screen and the data source, can you
> wait until things are back up? That presumes that your data are indeed
> secure.

Good point. Hopefully they will have it all backed up and instantly
available. History shows that that isn't always the case though. I find it
frightening to put all my data in someone else's hands. But, OTOH, even the
best laid plans at home can fail too. It looks as though we're always
vulnerable.

From: Mikel Sunova on

"Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Han" <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote in message
>> "Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote in
>>

>>> "Han" <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote in message

>>> While it would be nice to have everything on the home pc, I could live
>>> with it on the internet. Right now with windows and broadband, the
>>> internet is interwoven with everyday computing so much that it's
>>> almost seamless.
>>
>> Almost seamless. The problem is what happens if the "cloud" has an
>> oopsie? And I need some data now? Even granting that the cloud should
>> indeed have multiple backup redundancy, if the backbone goes down, or
>> something gets scrambled between your screen and the data source, can you
>> wait until things are back up? That presumes that your data are indeed
>> secure.
>
> Good point. Hopefully they will have it all backed up and instantly
> available. History shows that that isn't always the case though. I find
> it frightening to put all my data in someone else's hands. But, OTOH,
> even the best laid plans at home can fail too. It looks as though we're
> always vulnerable.

Yes, but much less so when we can maintain control over our own apps, our
own data. To rely on someone else to maintain, secure and present our data
for our use how and when it is needed is a frightening thought and will
inevitably cost the user, who has no other choice (which is another issue
relevant to the discussion).

Mikel

From: Tim Conway on

"Mikel Sunova" <msuno(a)att.net> wrote in message

> "Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Han" <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote in message
>>> "Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote in

>>> Almost seamless. The problem is what happens if the "cloud" has an
>>> oopsie? And I need some data now? Even granting that the cloud should
>>> indeed have multiple backup redundancy, if the backbone goes down, or
>>> something gets scrambled between your screen and the data source, can
>>> you
>>> wait until things are back up? That presumes that your data are indeed
>>> secure.
>>
>> Good point. Hopefully they will have it all backed up and instantly
>> available. History shows that that isn't always the case though. I find
>> it frightening to put all my data in someone else's hands. But, OTOH,
>> even the best laid plans at home can fail too. It looks as though we're
>> always vulnerable.
>
> Yes, but much less so when we can maintain control over our own apps, our
> own data. To rely on someone else to maintain, secure and present our data
> for our use how and when it is needed is a frightening thought and will
> inevitably cost the user, who has no other choice (which is another issue
> relevant to the discussion).

I don't see why Intuit doesn't keep Quicken desktop on indefinately. They
certainly have a captive clientele. It's arguably the best personal
financial softsware. They should see not to screw around with a good thing.

From: Han on
"Mikel Sunova" <msuno(a)att.net> wrote in

> Yes, but much less so when we can maintain control over our own apps,
> our own data. To rely on someone else to maintain, secure and present
> our data for our use how and when it is needed is a frightening
> thought and will inevitably cost the user, who has no other choice
> (which is another issue relevant to the discussion).

If you keep all your backups in the same location, a fire can wipe you out.
If you keep some off site, you also relinquish some control.

I like redundancy, and that would be how Intuit should approach this -
redundancy and control by the owner of the data, under multimodal access.

--
Best regards
Han
From: Mikel Sunova on

> "Mikel Sunova" <msuno(a)att.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Han" <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote in message

>>> Good point. Hopefully they will have it all backed up and instantly
>>> available. History shows that that isn't always the case though. I
>>> find it frightening to put all my data in someone else's hands. But,
>>> OTOH, even the best laid plans at home can fail too. It looks as though
>>> we're always vulnerable.
>>
>> Yes, but much less so when we can maintain control over our own apps, our
>> own data. To rely on someone else to maintain, secure and present our
>> data for our use how and when it is needed is a frightening thought and
>> will inevitably cost the user, who has no other choice (which is another
>> issue relevant to the discussion).
>>

> I don't see why Intuit doesn't keep Quicken desktop on indefinately. They
> certainly have a captive clientele. It's arguably the best personal
> financial softsware. They should see not to screw around with a good
> thing.

I think that Intuit follows a different logic than most of the world. They
make an excellent product, but they do tend to often make decisions that
seem to tell their customers to 'get screwed'. As has been discussed in
other threads, Intuit's mistake may be that they announced their intent so
early. This gives some enterprising fledgling (i.e., MoneyDance, etc.) the
opportunity to step up to the plate and offer a comparable product that
*will* stay on the desktop, thus capturing perhaps a large segment of the
market.

Mikel