From: scott s. on
"Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote in

> I don't see why Intuit doesn't keep Quicken desktop on indefinately.
> They certainly have a captive clientele. It's arguably the best
> personal financial softsware. They should see not to screw around
> with a good thing.

I imagine the business model is not to sell software, but to get
eyeballs to the web where they can more easily advertise and
upsell you on Intuit web design, Intuit loans, etc.

scott s.
..
From: Tim Conway on

"scott s." <75270_3703a(a)csi.xcom> wrote in message
> "Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote in
>

>> I don't see why Intuit doesn't keep Quicken desktop on indefinately.
>> They certainly have a captive clientele. It's arguably the best
>> personal financial softsware. They should see not to screw around
>> with a good thing.
>>

> I imagine the business model is not to sell software, but to get
> eyeballs to the web where they can more easily advertise and
> upsell you on Intuit web design, Intuit loans, etc.

That's probably the case. There is a lot of money being made in advertising
on the web and Intuit would undoubtedly welcome the free exposure to their
other products.

From: Andrew Hamilton on
On 10 Feb 2010 17:03:39 GMT, Han <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote:

>Almost seamless. The problem is what happens if the "cloud" has an
>oopsie? And I need some data now? Even granting that the cloud should
>indeed have multiple backup redundancy, if the backbone goes down, or
>something gets scrambled between your screen and the data source, can you
>wait until things are back up? That presumes that your data are indeed
>secure.

Or what if you are somehow not connected to the omniscient web? On a
plane? Somewhere where you don't have excellent connectivity?

Or what if hackers manage to break into that site, or do any one of an
number of other bad things? Instead of an individual's PC being
compromised, EVERYONE's data is compromised.

I think that the "kids" pushing this web-only idea haven't spent
enough time away from their lattes and $300 designer jeans.

-AH
From: Andrew Hamilton on
On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 08:14:15 -0700, Robert Neville <dont(a)bother.com>
wrote:

>"Mr.Jan" <jan.hertzsch(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>You know, I have not seen anything about them abandoning the desktop
>>version. Quicken Online? Yes, that is why they bought Mint.com but
>>where did yo see that they were going to abandon the desktop version?
>
>Google Groups is your friend. Earlier in this thread the link was posted to the
>BusinessWeek article where the new Quicken Product Manager discussed his
>sunsetting plans for Quicken Desktop and plans to migrate those users to Mint.

Reminds me once when I was working for a medium-sized company that got
acquired. The big company doing the acquisition was so out of ideas
that they basically turned over the entire business unit to us, the
acquirees, instead of firing most of us.

I suspect that Intuit is similarly out of ideas. That is what happens
when you lose contact with your customers, because you basically hold
them in contempt.

If only there was a viable competitor to Intuit, I would have stopped
using Quicken (and TurboTax) years ago ...

-AH
From: John Pollard on
Andrew Hamilton wrote:

> If only there was a viable competitor to Intuit, I would have stopped
> using Quicken (and TurboTax) years ago ...

I doubt it's an accident that there is no "viable competitor".

It's my assumption that most all customers - of any product - will switch
to a better product ... if one exists. I surely would be one of those.

The more important question is: what is the reason people believe no such
*better* product exists. Entry into the software market is about as cheap
as can be imagined. Would-be software gurus abound (so they keep telling
everyone).

If it's so simple to produce software that can compete with Quicken ...
why has no one done it? Why is it that the software company with money to
burn - failed to produce a competetive product. Why is that the "free
software" movement has failed to provide a competetive product?

Those are largely rhetorical questions. The reason is: it isn't that
easy.

In a free market system - such as that for personal financial software -
those who believe a better product can be produced; must put up, or shut
up.

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help