From: Mike Scott on
Michael Adams wrote:
> I sometimes get a little jaded by those that do not adequately explain their
> issue.

An art in terminal decay, methinks.

--
Mike Scott

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Barbara Duprey on
Mike Scott wrote:
> Barbara Duprey wrote:
>> Mike Scott wrote:
>>>>

>>> Unless you cc'd the OP, they won't see any of this anyway.... yet
>>> another unsubscribed user. (I don't think they've used gmane.)
>>>

>> I did copy the OP (as another To:). When I respond to an unsubscribed
>> user, as in this case, I generally include a statement at the top that
>
> That's good, except others can't see that you've done this!

?? Thunderbird, and I thought all other e-mail programs, will
automatically display a list of the To and CC recipients of a message
(not BCC'ed ones, of course). The other two things (the note about the
user being unsubscribed, and the note that the OP should respond to the
list) are part of the message itself. What can't others see?
> But they'll still not receive replies to replies on the list (such as
> this one) because people don't realize/care that the OP (a mile off
> the screen top) wasn't subscribed. But we keep coming here, no?

Yes. So far the best option I've found is to give the OP a link into the
old.nabble copy of the thread (they can follow the discussion and
respond; I think that also gets them into an Injected-by situation that
means their responses are not moderated). It's also, I think, less
intimidating for a newbie to use than Gmane for this purpose. But I'm
not sure of the overall stability of this solution, so I hesitate to
recommend it as a general response. There's been talk of moving the OOo
lists to another part of nabble, for instance, and the OOo
administrators have no control over what nabble (or Gmane,for that
matter) chooses to do. The real solution should be contained within
OOo's own control. I'm hoping that the Kenai implementation will take
this in hand.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Mike Scott on
Barbara Duprey wrote:
>>> I did copy the OP (as another To:). When I respond to an unsubscribed
>>> user, as in this case, I generally include a statement at the top that
>>
>> That's good, except others can't see that you've done this!
>
> ?? Thunderbird, and I thought all other e-mail programs, will
> automatically display a list of the To and CC recipients of a message

No, that's not necessarily true. It rather depends on the display
options set - for various reasons, irrelevant here, I only see subject,
from, and date without additional multiple mouse clicks.

From: Barbara Duprey on
Mike Scott wrote:

>>> That's good, except others can't see that you've done this!
>>
>> ?? Thunderbird, and I thought all other e-mail programs, will
>> automatically display a list of the To and CC recipients of a message
>
> No, that's not necessarily true. It rather depends on the display
> options set - for various reasons, irrelevant here, I only see
> subject, from, and date without additional multiple mouse clicks.

If you've set the options that way, what about in the list of available
messages? In the default setup for TB, the "Recipient" field shows the
To list (not cc's) -- so I can sometimes see if the reply was sent to
the OP without even looking at the header. Since it doesn't show the
cc's, I have to look at the header to check if somebody else has
responded to the OP that way, but when people use the To mechanism it's
obvious. I certainly wouldn't have any use for the kind of option you're
referring to, though, because it's so often relevant to know who else
has gotten the messages I'm seeing (not just for the lists, but
everywhere). And having message content like what I typically use at
least shows that I'm aware they're not subscribed (though that doesn't
necessarily mean I remembered to copy them :-) ).

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org