From: annalissa on
Hi all,

can anybody explain me the trade off between a KVM switch and the use
of a Desktop sharing software such as VNC viewer ?
From: ray on
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 11:01:45 -0700, annalissa wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> can anybody explain me the trade off between a KVM switch and the use of
> a Desktop sharing software such as VNC viewer ?

For one thing, it's going to take a lot of bandwidth to display the
remote desktop on your current one - and it will be relatively slow
because of that. A KVM switch physically changes your connections from
one machine to the other so you are always operating 'locally' - no
additional overhead.
From: Chris Davies on
annalissa <aarklon(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> can anybody explain me the trade off between a KVM switch and the use
> of a Desktop sharing software such as VNC viewer ?

Unless you've got an enterprise grade server, desktop sharing software
won't allow you to watch the BIOS level boot process.

Chris
From: Lusotec on
annalissa wrote:
> can anybody explain me the trade off between a KVM switch and the use
> of a Desktop sharing software such as VNC viewer ?

KVM is limited to connecting local (as in same desk/room) machines but has
no performance overhead. VNC has performance penalties but can connect any
machines on the internet.

Regards.

From: Trevor Hemsley on
On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 18:01:45 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, annalissa
<aarklon(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> can anybody explain me the trade off between a KVM switch and the use
> of a Desktop sharing software such as VNC viewer ?

Sure, a KVM switch is a hardware solution and is generally used locally with
instant response times. Sometimes they are IP enabled and accessed by VNC anyway
but usually they are used locally. Using VNC tends to be slower and more limited
and gets you less access than a KVM switch. For example, you can't generally get
into the BIOS on a machine when using VNC as the server runs on the operating
system that hasn't yet booted. Using a KVM switch, you can get into the BIOS and
if it's IP enabled then you can get into the BIOS from a remote location.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com