From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 15:38:51 +0000, Michal Jaegermann wrote:

> General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> The laptop has an Nvidia 440 GO graphics chip on it which requires the
>> legacy Nvidia drivers. The legacy drivers aren't in the Fusion
>> repositories yet so I was forced to stick with the Nouveau driver which
>> has miserable performance.
>
> Not at all; in general. Only you have to install
> mesa-dri-drivers-experimental package which is not a default set. That
> does have an "experimental" status so it may fail to work in your case
> but you would not know until you tried.
>
> --mj

It's the kmod-nvidia-173xx package that's missing the F13 fusion
repositories. Are you saying that mesa-dri-drivers-experimental contains
the legacy Nvidia driver?

From: Michal Jaegermann on
Thomas Richter <thor(a)math.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

> I don't know how the ath5k chipsets "work", I haven't tried them yet,

ath5k and ath9k work very well and for quite a while now. I have a
direct experience with both and long time ago I had to use madwifi
driver for ath5k. As a matter of fact this is typed through ath5k using
very marginal AP which would likely make a Redmond driver puke.

> but I had two laptops, both with intel chips, and I was "less than
> impressed" by their performance.

On these I cannot comment.

Michal
From: Michal Jaegermann on
General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 15:38:51 +0000, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
>
>> General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The laptop has an Nvidia 440 GO graphics chip on it which requires the
>>> legacy Nvidia drivers. The legacy drivers aren't in the Fusion
>>> repositories yet so I was forced to stick with the Nouveau driver which
>>> has miserable performance.
>>
>> Not at all; in general. Only you have to install
>> mesa-dri-drivers-experimental package which is not a default set. That
>> does have an "experimental" status so it may fail to work in your case
>> but you would not know until you tried.
>>
> It's the kmod-nvidia-173xx package that's missing the F13 fusion
> repositories.

I have no idea either way.

> Are you saying that mesa-dri-drivers-experimental contains
> the legacy Nvidia driver?

Nothing even close. This is a Fedora package. These are "missing
pieces" enabling a DRI support with nouveau. I already wrote that
your statement about "miserable performance" is not exactly true; at
least in general.

Michal
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 16:24:47 +0000, Michal Jaegermann wrote:

> General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Not at all; in general. Only you have to install
>>> mesa-dri-drivers-experimental package which is not a default set.
>>> That does have an "experimental" status so it may fail to work in your
>>> case but you would not know until you tried.
>>>
>> It's the kmod-nvidia-173xx package that's missing the F13 fusion
>> repositories.
>
> I have no idea either way.
>
>> Are you saying that mesa-dri-drivers-experimental contains the legacy
>> Nvidia driver?
>
> Nothing even close. This is a Fedora package. These are "missing
> pieces" enabling a DRI support with nouveau. I already wrote that your
> statement about "miserable performance" is not exactly true; at least in
> general.
>
> Michal

I've found Nouveau performance to be decent on middling quality GPUs,
although the Nvidia binary performance is noticeably better. The 440 Go
is a pathetic GPU and it needs all the help it can get. With Nouveau the
performance is just below the threshold of acceptable, with the Nvidia
driver the 440 GO is fine. BTW I'm talking about 2D performance, I don't
use Compviz.

This thread was about wireless and my original point was that if you have
a FOSS option that doesn't compromise performance that's a vastly better
choice then having to rely on a binary driver. I was giving Nvidia as an
example of what can go wrong when you have to use a binary driver. Nvidia
isn't keeping up with the changes in the Linux world. Their driver can't
coexist with Nouveau which means that you have to hand edit the /etc/
grub.conf to blacklist the nouveau driver. The Nvidia driver also still
requires an xorg.conf file which is no longer automatically installed, as
a result you have to run a couple of commands to generate the xorg.conf
file. Finally the legacy drivers haven't been updated for Xorg 1.8, which
is why there are no legacy drivers for Fedora 13.

From: Henrik Carlqvist on
Dan C <youmustbejoking(a)lan.invalid> wrote:
> If a person has this hardware in their system, what should they do?

You are absolutely right there. A binary working driver for existing
hardware is better than no driver at all.

However, it is a well known fact that it is a lot easier to buy hardware
that works good with Linux than trying to get hardware from bad vendors
working. When a vendor has a reason to refuse you to get the
specifications for the hardware that you bought and or refuses to let you
look at the source for the drivers you know that there must be something
fishy about that hardware.

So if you are fortunate enough to choose the hardware yourself make sure
to choose well supported hardware with open drivers.

regards Henrik
root(a)localhost postmaster(a)localhost