From: Richard Kimber on
Hi:

I'm thinking of getting a new laptop. Given that I've had endless
problems with the wireless on my old one (Acer Aspire 5002), I wondered
if anyone had a recommendation for a brand of laptop on which the
wireless "just works". I'll be using Ubuntu 10.04. I have been looking
at a Samsung:

Samsung R730 17.3-inch Notebook (PDC T4300 2.1 GHz Processor, 4 GB RAM,
320 GB HDD HDD, DVDRW, 6 Cell Battery, HD+, HDMI, Webcam, Windows 7 Home
Premium, Red/Silver)

.... but I get the impression people have had wireless problems with that.

Thanks.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources
From: Dan C on
On Mon, 24 May 2010 12:16:01 -0500, Richard Kimber wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I'm thinking of getting a new laptop. Given that I've had endless
> problems with the wireless on my old one (Acer Aspire 5002), I wondered
> if anyone had a recommendation for a brand of laptop on which the
> wireless "just works". I'll be using Ubuntu 10.04. I have been looking
> at a Samsung:
>
> Samsung R730 17.3-inch Notebook (PDC T4300 2.1 GHz Processor, 4 GB RAM,
> 320 GB HDD HDD, DVDRW, 6 Cell Battery, HD+, HDMI, Webcam, Windows 7 Home
> Premium, Red/Silver)
>
> ... but I get the impression people have had wireless problems with
> that.
>
> Thanks.

Doesn't matter what brand. They all work fine.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he got cattle-prodded in the groin.
From: Jerry Peters on
Richard Kimber <richardkimber(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm thinking of getting a new laptop. Given that I've had endless
> problems with the wireless on my old one (Acer Aspire 5002), I wondered
> if anyone had a recommendation for a brand of laptop on which the
> wireless "just works". I'll be using Ubuntu 10.04. I have been looking
> at a Samsung:
>
> Samsung R730 17.3-inch Notebook (PDC T4300 2.1 GHz Processor, 4 GB RAM,
> 320 GB HDD HDD, DVDRW, 6 Cell Battery, HD+, HDMI, Webcam, Windows 7 Home
> Premium, Red/Silver)
>
> ... but I get the impression people have had wireless problems with that.
>
> Thanks.

You need to know what wireless chipset the laptop uses and if there's
good support in the kernel. Find out the wireless chipset used and
search on that.
I've had good luck with the ath5k driver for Atheros 5xxx chipsets.
AFAIK, Intel is also OK, but Broadcom is questionable (no vendor
support).

Jerry
From: Zebee Johnstone on
In comp.os.linux.hardware on Mon, 24 May 2010 20:14:40 +0000 (UTC)
Jerry Peters <jerry(a)example.invalid> wrote:
> You need to know what wireless chipset the laptop uses and if there's
> good support in the kernel. Find out the wireless chipset used and
> search on that.
> I've had good luck with the ath5k driver for Atheros 5xxx chipsets.
> AFAIK, Intel is also OK, but Broadcom is questionable (no vendor
> support).

I've found Intel works well in Fedora. I use HP 6730b with
"Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5100AGN REV=0x54" and NetworkManager handles
it easily.

Zebee

From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Mon, 24 May 2010 12:16:01 -0500, Richard Kimber wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I'm thinking of getting a new laptop. Given that I've had endless
> problems with the wireless on my old one (Acer Aspire 5002), I wondered
> if anyone had a recommendation for a brand of laptop on which the
> wireless "just works". I'll be using Ubuntu 10.04. I have been looking
> at a Samsung:
>
> Samsung R730 17.3-inch Notebook (PDC T4300 2.1 GHz Processor, 4 GB RAM,
> 320 GB HDD HDD, DVDRW, 6 Cell Battery, HD+, HDMI, Webcam, Windows 7 Home
> Premium, Red/Silver)
>
> ... but I get the impression people have had wireless problems with
> that.
>
> Thanks.

Make sure you get an Intel wireless chipset, Intel is fully committed to
providing open source drivers, Intel chipsets always work.