From: JACK on

My Compaq 6735s laptop suddenly just switches off. doesn't shut down or
anything, just goes off. I'm assuming it's overheating although I can hear
the fan come on so other suggestions welcome. How easy is it to change the
fan?
It's used for about 14 hours a day, connected tot he mains with the battery
removed.

From: JD on
JACK wrote:

> My Compaq 6735s laptop suddenly just switches off. doesn't shut down or
> anything, just goes off. I'm assuming it's overheating although I can
> hear the fan come on so other suggestions welcome. How easy is it to
> change the fan?
> It's used for about 14 hours a day, connected tot he mains with the
> battery removed.

Hi jack

it could be overheating as you say, as for changing the fan thats quite
a big job you will need to dismantle the whole laptop and thats no easy
task, you can try using an "air duster" to blow the crud out, you can
also get laptop coolers, these are metal plates the laptop sits on which
have inbuilt fan's.

I'd also check that the power supply it may be going faulty, or there
could be a break in the wire as you have no battery in the laptop if the
power cuts out for even a second the laptop will go off, removing the
battery while you use it from the mains is a good idea for the battery's
lifespan but not so good if the power goes out.

JD
From: Conor on
In article <n5SdnRH90OfTUKzWnZ2dnUVZ8ladnZ2d(a)brightview.co.uk>, JACK
says...

> My Compaq 6735s laptop suddenly just switches off. doesn't shut down or
> anything, just goes off. I'm assuming it's overheating although I can hear
> the fan come on so other suggestions welcome. How easy is it to change the
> fan?
> It's used for about 14 hours a day, connected tot he mains with the battery
> removed.

Unfortunately, its a model noted for problems...BUT

Chances are though that if its running for a short while before shutting
down - more than 10 minutes when just sat there although it might be
within a minute when working hard/booting, the space between the fan and
the heatsink has become blocked up with fluff. The downside of this is
that it usually means taking the laptop to bits to get to it. You can't
usually just blow it out with compressed air.

Most home laptops I refurb are like that. Its that packed that its like
felt underlay. It happens because the manufacturers have glue on the
plastic shroud between the fan and heatsink so dust just sticks to it
and builds up.

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everybody equally.
From: Baron on
JD Inscribed thus:

> JACK wrote:
>>
>> My Compaq 6735s laptop suddenly just switches off. doesn't shut down
>> or anything, just goes off. I'm assuming it's overheating although I
>> can hear the fan come on so other suggestions welcome. How easy is it
>> to change the fan?
>> It's used for about 14 hours a day, connected tot he mains with the
>> battery removed.
>
> Hi jack
>
> it could be overheating as you say, as for changing the fan thats
> quite a big job you will need to dismantle the whole laptop and thats
> no easy task, you can try using an "air duster" to blow the crud out,

I agree your machine probably is overheating ! The fan is unlikely to
be the problem insomuch as its the fluff that gets dragged into the fan
and blown into the heat exchanger.

Blowing air back into the outlet may remove most of the fluff by
ejecting it back through the fan inlet. But take care not to cause any
damage to the fan by using too much pressure.

On some of these machines, I don't know the particular model you have,
there is a removable panel that exposes the fan & heat exchanger. If
there is, removing the panel will give limited access.
Underneath there will be a self adhesive plastic cover between the fan
outlet and the heat exchanger inlet. You can carefully lift one edge
of this cover and pick the fluff out with tweezers.

Do take anti static precautions if you decide to go this route.

> you can also get laptop coolers, these are metal plates the laptop
> sits on which have inbuilt fan's.
>
> I'd also check that the power supply it may be going faulty, or there
> could be a break in the wire as you have no battery in the laptop if
> the power cuts out for even a second the laptop will go off, removing
> the battery while you use it from the mains is a good idea for the
> battery's lifespan but not so good if the power goes out.
>
> JD

This is also very common ! The break if there is one, is most likely to
be near the power plug, often between the choke and plug itself.

It would also be wise to run the battery down and recharge it every few
months, just to keep it in good condition. I've found that if the
battery is allowed to discharge on its own, the battery gets so low
that it will no longer charge up.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Paul on
JACK wrote:

> My Compaq 6735s laptop suddenly just switches off. doesn't shut down or
> anything, just goes off. I'm assuming it's overheating although I can
> hear the fan come on so other suggestions welcome. How easy is it to
> change the fan?
> It's used for about 14 hours a day, connected tot he mains with the
> battery removed.

There is a disassembly page here. I don't see a door for easy cleaning.

http://www.repair-laptop.com/?p=83

The exhaust could be on the left hand side of the unit.

http://www.repair-laptop.com/wp-content/upload/20090705/disassemble-notebook-17.jpg

A side view of the fan grill here.

http://images.tigerdirect.com/SkuImages/gallery/large/H24-15033-d06.jpg

*******

You could try a copy of Speedfan and monitor the temperatures through
the day, and see if the temperature peaks just before shutoff. Speedfan
has the ability to probe the appropriate system buses, looking for a
hardware monitor. It may list temperatures, without correctly identifying
the source, so may require some guessing on your part. At this point,
I don't recommend changing fan settings at all - just use the utility
for its measurement output.

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

http://www.almico.com/speedfan440.exe

Paul