From: Randy and Ann on
Hi,

I have been having issues with my computer and can't get it to
boot up. I've already tried to start it in safe mode and I tried using the
factory boot disk; neither one works. I decided to format the C drive and
reload windows, but I can't figure out how to format the C drive, I've
already tried standard format C:/ command at the DOS prompt.

My computer is operating off Windows XP. When I try to format the C drive,
it comes up with this:

FORMAT [/help] drive: [/F: size] [/N: sectors /T: tracks] [/1] [/4] [/8]

[/A] [[/B : /S]] [/Q] [/V [Label]].

Any idea of what I should type in to format the C drive and what the info
above means?

Thanks in advance. My parents won't let me on their computer and told me I
had to fix mine.

Sam

From: JD on
Randy and Ann wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have been having issues with my computer and can't get it to
> boot up. I've already tried to start it in safe mode and I tried using the
> factory boot disk; neither one works. I decided to format the C drive and
> reload windows, but I can't figure out how to format the C drive, I've
> already tried standard format C:/ command at the DOS prompt.
>
> My computer is operating off Windows XP. When I try to format the C drive,
> it comes up with this:
>

> FORMAT [/help] drive: [/F: size] [/N: sectors /T: tracks] [/1] [/4] [/8]
>
> [/A] [[/B : /S]] [/Q] [/V [Label]].
>

> Any idea of what I should type in to format the C drive and what the info
> above means?
>

> Thanks in advance. My parents won't let me on their computer and told me I
> had to fix mine.
>

> Sam

Hi There

You cannot format a drive you are using, also if you are reinstalling
you do not need to format it as the Operating System disk will do this
for you.

I suggest you read this thoroughly before you do anything:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/overview.mspx

there may also be an easier way to fix it, what make is the PC if its a
shop bough PC it most probably has a recovery partition on it, a few key
presses and it could be back to the way it was when new, usually you
press F11 just after the POST screen, then follow the instructions.

JD
From: Randy and Ann on
JD,

Thank you for the help. I should start out saying that I know just
enough to be dangerous.... I'm not sure what you mean by 'the POST screen'.
The computer is a DELL. It won't boot up in safe mode, last known good mode,
or any other mode. I thought I would format the C drive from the F drive
prompt and then just reinstall the soft ware, but it's not that easy.... I
tried to install XP from the CD, but I get the blue screed of death (again),
that's why I thought about scratching everything and and starting over. The
error I get says to uninstall virus or back up software and/or to remove any
firewalls. I can't do any of that if I can't boot up the computer. I
appreciate any hand-holding assistance anyone can give me.

Thanks, Sam

From: igotsaurus on
You may have a hardware failure, the most common being power supply or hard
drive.
Do you see the BIOS information when the computer starts up?
Can you enter the BIOS? For most motherboards pressing the delete key while
booting enters the BIOS but I have not seen a Dell in many years so they may
be different.
If you can enter the BIOS does it identify your hard drive?
If you do not see the hard drive listed it has probably gone to hard drive
heaven. You can turn off the computer, unplug it, open the case and reseat
the cables but that will not likely help.
Power supply failures take many forms: before they totally fail you start to
get random blue screens or crashes. As they die it takes many attempts to
get the computer to boot because the PS is not giving the appropriate
signal, and possibly power, to the motherboard.
If you are unable to boot from the Windows install disc without a freeze
that suggests the power supply, although it could also be a motherboard
component.

From: "Repelsteeltje" henbrosj.2 on

"Randy and Ann" <randyandann(a)cox.net> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
>

> I have been having issues with my computer and can't get it to
> boot up. I've already tried to start it in safe mode and I tried using
> the factory boot disk; neither one works. I decided to format the C drive
> and reload windows, but I can't figure out how to format the C drive, I've
> already tried standard format C:/ command at the DOS prompt.
>
> My computer is operating off Windows XP. When I try to format the C drive,
> it comes up with this:
>

> FORMAT [/help] drive: [/F: size] [/N: sectors /T: tracks] [/1] [/4] [/8]
>
> [/A] [[/B : /S]] [/Q] [/V [Label]].
>

> Any idea of what I should type in to format the C drive and what the info
> above means?
>

> Thanks in advance. My parents won't let me on their computer and told me I
> had to fix mine.
>

> Sam
>
>Why don't you used PowerMax?
This programm is freeware and will absolutely format your drive.
You'll find this programm on www.powermax.com
Just copy this file to a diskette and start up again.
It will start at once.
And then you will be able to re-install Windows.
Janus

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: laptop turning itself off