From: Paul on
Randy and Ann wrote:
> I want to thank everyone for the assistance, but this thing is still kicking
> my butt...
> It won't boot from the XP installation CD. I entered the BIOS and changed
> them
> so the computer boots from the CD first. The 'blue screen of death' comes
> about a
> second after the windows logo comes up. The blue screen has a code (maybe
> I should've brought this up in the first place) 0X00000024. I did some more
> research
> and found it at this website: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic5352.html
>
> I would appreciate the help if someone could "dumb this down" a little bit
> for me....
>
> Thank you to anyone who can assist in helping me (teaching me).
>
> Sam

Make sure it is actually booting from the CD, and not going to the hard
drive instead. Since you mention "Windows logo", that sounds like it
is still the hard drive that is doing the booting.

Some BIOS screens will say something like "press a key to boot from CD",
even though the CD is logically the thing the user wants to boot from.
So even if it is in the boot order, it may still require you to press
a key to get the CD to boot (within a short timeout period).

There are a number of options you could be following, to put Windows
back on the machine. Some of the options would do more damage than others.
For example, I could tell you to get a copy of DBAN and erase the entire
hard drive, but a side effect of that, is you could lose the recovery partition
if the machine was a Dell/HP etc.

On the one hand, we want to help. On the other, we have to be careful not
to recommend things you may later regret.

Examine your bootup process more carefully, to see whether the machine
is actually trying to boot from CD. Some of the screens flash by
so fast, that you may miss an option on the screen. You can try pressing
the "Pause" key, if this is happening at the BIOS level. Pressing another
key after "Pause" should allow the sequence to continue.

Also, take a look in the user manual that came with the computer.
It contains a lot of irrelevant info, but you could benefit from
reading the portion of the manual that deals with the recovery
partition and burning recovery media. The BIOS may have a key you
press, which causes the C: drive to be wiped out and returned to
factory condition. That is their idea of doing you a favor, by
wiping out all your user files on C :-(

Paul
From: Baron on
Randy and Ann Inscribed thus:

> I want to thank everyone for the assistance, but this thing is still
> kicking my butt...
> It won't boot from the XP installation CD. I entered the BIOS and
> changed them
> so the computer boots from the CD first. The 'blue screen of death'
> comes about a
> second after the windows logo comes up. The blue screen has a code
> (maybe I should've brought this up in the first place) 0X00000024. I
> did some more research
> and found it at this website:
> http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic5352.html

That suggests HDD failure...

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Randy and Ann on
Baron, Paul, James, Jeff, JD, Janus, and anyone eles who jumped in to
provide assistance,

I wanted to thank you for the help you provided. We ended up having
a bad hard drive.
Your assistance helped to save us $$$$$.

Thanks again! Sam

From: Jeff Strickland on

> Baron, Paul, James, Jeff, JD, Janus, and anyone eles who jumped in to
> provide assistance,
>
> I wanted to thank you for the help you provided. We ended up having
> a bad hard drive.
> Your assistance helped to save us $$$$$.
>

> Thanks again! Sam

You are welcome.

MORE MONEY SAVING TIPS
The failed drive might not be totally failed. You can frequently recover the
files on this kind of drive with a device that costs about $25. Basically
it's a power supply and a conector that fits a 3.5, 2.5, and SATA connection
on a drive, and a USB cable that then plugs into your laptop or PC. Or, Mac,
I suppose. Anyway, once the machine is up, you can connect the "failed"
drive with the device I described, and recover files from it.

My experience here is a bit limited, but I've alwasy found the boot sector
of the drive to be damaged, making the files on the drive recoverable if one
can boot from something else, such as a new HDD, or a different HDD on
another machine.

I found a device called EZ-CONNECT that lets me take a "failed" drive and
make it into a USB drive that I can then take stuff off of it and put it on
another drive.

If you are able to recover the data, then you can do several things with the
drive, including using it again as the main HDD. Once you get the files off,
you should reformat and see if the boot sector can be repaired through this
process. If it can't, then the drive can still be used as a backup file
storage device.

You can reformat and keep using the drive as the primary device, or set it
as a Slave and use it as a secondary device that is permantly mounted inside
the machine -- a laptop will not accomodate this usage but a desktop machine
will normally have an unused bay that will hold it.

You can get an enclosure that allows the drive to be used as an external
drive. This will convert the drive to a USB drive and have you place it into
a hardened enclosure. This allows the drive to be used as a temporary
storage device, much the same as a flash- or thumb-drive, or any other
external hard drive that you see on the market these days. You can store the
drive in a drawer or your briefcase, and pull it out when you want to use it
then put it away again. I'm not sure how much an enclosure should cost, but
you should be able to find representative samples on eBay.

From: Baron on
Randy and Ann Inscribed thus:

> Baron, Paul, James, Jeff, JD, Janus, and anyone eles who jumped in to
> provide assistance,
>
> I wanted to thank you for the help you provided. We ended up
> having
> a bad hard drive.
> Your assistance helped to save us $$$$$.
>

> Thanks again! Sam

You're welcome. Glad to help. (*)

--
Best Regards: