From: Jeff Strickland on
You can't reformat the boot drive. Yoou have to boot to a different drive
and then format.

What you need is the XP Installation CD, put it in the tray, set the Boot
Priority in BIOS to look for the CD first, and then choose Install, not
Repair. After going through a couple of screens, then you can choose the
Repair option -- the C Drive will be listed as an installation location,
select it then choose the option for a fresh install.

The data on your HDD will be destroyed.

From: Jeff Strickland on

> JD,
>
> Thank you for the help. I should start out saying that I know just
> enough to be dangerous.... I'm not sure what you mean by 'the POST
> screen'. The computer is a DELL. It won't boot up in safe mode, last known
> good mode, or any other mode. I thought I would format the C drive from
> the F drive prompt and then just reinstall the soft ware, but it's not
> that easy.... I tried to install XP from the CD, but I get the blue screed
> of death (again), that's why I thought about scratching everything and and
> starting over. The error I get says to uninstall virus or back up software
> and/or to remove any firewalls. I can't do any of that if I can't boot up
> the computer. I appreciate any hand-holding assistance anyone can give me.
>
> Thanks, Sam

POST = Power On System Test.

From: JD on
Randy and Ann wrote:
> JD,
>
> Thank you for the help. I should start out saying that I know just
> enough to be dangerous.... I'm not sure what you mean by 'the POST screen'.
> The computer is a DELL. It won't boot up in safe mode, last known good mode,
> or any other mode. I thought I would format the C drive from the F drive
> prompt and then just reinstall the soft ware, but it's not that easy.... I
> tried to install XP from the CD, but I get the blue screed of death (again),
> that's why I thought about scratching everything and and starting over. The
> error I get says to uninstall virus or back up software and/or to remove any
> firewalls. I can't do any of that if I can't boot up the computer. I
> appreciate any hand-holding assistance anyone can give me.
>
> Thanks, Sam

The POST screen is the first thing you see when you turn the PC on some
people refer to it as the BIOS Screen, its all the same tho, it will
show you how much memory you have, type of CPU and your Drives, or it
will be the Dell logo (you can usually press the TAB key to see the info
if the logo is displayed, or you can turn it off in your BIOS settings)

The first thing I would try is seeing if it has a recovery partition
this will be easier than a full re/install as you will have to look for
driver's if you do that.

So turn on the PC wait for the BEEP just after the POST screen and
before the windows XP loading screen (or where that would normally be)
press F11 (it may also be CTRL + F11) and see if you get the Dell
recovery option if you do follow the instructions.

if not, make sure your computer is set to boot from CD first then HDD,
you will find these options in your BIOS settings, usually labeled BOOT
ORDER or something similar, you usually press DEL or F2 to get into the
BIOS settings but it will tell you at the bottom of the screen when you
turn the PC on "Press Del to enter Setup ....."

you can then insert your Windows XP disk, you should get the "Press any
Key to boot from CD .." press a key, all the following screens should be
Blue.

you should follow these instructions:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/install.mspx

the only difference for you will be the part about partitions, you will
want to select each one then delete them (highlight it and press D) once
all the partitions are gone it will show up as free space, just press
enter and select quick format, the rest should be a case of following
the on screen instructions.

You say you get a blue screen of death where does this happen and what
does it say ? As I'm not sure if your are loading the Repair disk or if
its the OS (XP) that is loading, BSOD Can mean Hardware Failure or it
could just be a faulty driver or .dll

JD
From: James D. Andrews on

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> You can't reformat the boot drive. Yoou have to boot to a different drive
> and then format.
>
> What you need is the XP Installation CD, put it in the tray, set the Boot
> Priority in BIOS to look for the CD first, and then choose Install, not
> Repair. After going through a couple of screens, then you can choose the
> Repair option -- the C Drive will be listed as an installation location,
> select it then choose the option for a fresh install.
>
> The data on your HDD will be destroyed.
>
> "Randy and Ann" <randyandann(a)cox.net> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>

>> I have been having issues with my computer and can't get it
>> to boot up. I've already tried to start it in safe mode and I tried
>> using the factory boot disk; neither one works. I decided to format the C
>> drive and reload windows, but I can't figure out how to format the C
>> drive, I've already tried standard format C:/ command at the DOS prompt.
>>
>> My computer is operating off Windows XP. When I try to format the C
>> drive, it comes up with this:
>>

>> FORMAT [/help] drive: [/F: size] [/N: sectors /T: tracks] [/1] [/4] [/8]
>>
>> [/A] [[/B : /S]] [/Q] [/V [Label]].
>>

>> Any idea of what I should type in to format the C drive and what the info
>> above means?
>>
>> Thanks in advance. My parents won't let me on their computer and told me
>> I had to fix mine.
>>
>> Sam

In simplest, non-computerese terms, when you start your computer, you enter
"Start Up" "Start Up" option appears at the top of your black screen when
your computer is first turned on, and it will tell you what button(s) you
have to push to enter Start Up. For some Dell's, it's one of the (f)Keys.
It will flash past this option fairly quick and go on to other things, so
you have to pay attention and act quickly when prompted.

Once inside Start Up, you'll find the Boot Sequence. Change as necessary.

IF other recovery options don't work for you AND you still want to attempt
to Format the drive:

IF you have a floppy drive:

IF you have a floppy boot disk (also called Start Up disk or Recovery Disk),
try booting from the floppy. Just put it in and Restart the computer to see
if it will boot from floppy first.

IF the floppy won't boot, then you'll have to change the Boot Sequence in
BIOS (Start Up) just as you would for attempting to boot from CD.

Floppy boot disks usually contain the bare minimum to boot your computer to
A: drive (the floppy drive), but sometimes have basic DOS commands.

THEN, on the boot disk itself OR if you have an old DOS disk, you might find
FORMAT.EXE on one of these.

IF SO, then you can Format from this disk. Just type Format C: and Execute.
It will give you the warning and cancel option. Just tell it to go ahead
and format. How long it takes depends on your HDD.

IF you can't boot to either CD or floppy, you may be looking at something
more serious than your hard drive or Operating System, possibly your Power
Supply.

From: Randy and Ann on
I want to thank everyone for the assistance, but this thing is still kicking
my butt...
It won't boot from the XP installation CD. I entered the BIOS and changed
them
so the computer boots from the CD first. The 'blue screen of death' comes
about a
second after the windows logo comes up. The blue screen has a code (maybe
I should've brought this up in the first place) 0X00000024. I did some more
research
and found it at this website: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic5352.html

I would appreciate the help if someone could "dumb this down" a little bit
for me....

Thank you to anyone who can assist in helping me (teaching me).

Sam

"James D. Andrews" <jamesdandrews(a)att.net> wrote in message

> [...]
>
> IF the floppy won't boot, then you'll have to change the Boot Sequence in
> BIOS (Start Up) just as you would for attempting to boot from CD.
>
> Floppy boot disks usually contain the bare minimum to boot your computer
> to A: drive (the floppy drive), but sometimes have basic DOS commands.
>
> THEN, on the boot disk itself OR if you have an old DOS disk, you might
> find FORMAT.EXE on one of these.
>
> IF SO, then you can Format from this disk. Just type Format C: and
> Execute. It will give you the warning and cancel option. Just tell it to
> go ahead and format. How long it takes depends on your HDD.
>
> IF you can't boot to either CD or floppy, you may be looking at something
> more serious than your hard drive or Operating System, possibly your Power
> Supply.
>

> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news(a)netfront.net ---

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: laptop turning itself off
Next: Bad_Pool_Header