From: jny0 on
I've just turned on my computer, and instead of Linux booting as
normal, I get a grub> prompt. What could be going on here?
From: Niels Dettenbach on
jny0 wrote:

> I've just turned on my computer, and instead of Linux booting as
> normal, I get a grub> prompt. What could be going on here?
it seems your grub bootloader is not able to load the boot loader menu /
configuration (typically somewhere in grub.conf / menu.lst).

There could be several reasons why this could he "sporadically" happen -
i.e. grub can't reach / load the partition with grub.conf / menu.lst,
sometimes wrong suspend to disk configurations of newer distros leads to
"scrumbled" grub configurations sometimes.

With
grub> help

you should get out a list of grub commands which let i.e. modify
configurations or "booting by hand".

cheers,

Niels.
From: mjt on
On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 01:18:17 -0700 (PDT)
jny0 <jny0(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've just turned on my computer, and instead of Linux booting as
> normal, I get a grub> prompt. What could be going on here?

Do you get a response from the following grub command:
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1

--
College football is a game which would be much more interesting if the
faculty played instead of the students, and even more interesting if

From: jny0 on

boot = Kernel must be loaded before loaded

find /boot/grub/stage1 = Error 15: File not found

I'm still at a loss!

From: mjt on
On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 09:51:17 -0700 (PDT)
jny0 <jny0(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> boot = Kernel must be loaded before loaded
>
> find /boot/grub/stage1 = Error 15: File not found

Hmmm. Is this a multi-boot machine? Or do you only
have a Linux distro installed? How many partitions?

Did you do anything with the computer prior to when
this issue showed up?

It seems there an issue with the hard drive or one
or more of the partitions on the hard drive. I'd
recommend getting SystemRescueCD or Knoppix and burn
(which ever one) to CD and boot from the CD and see
if you can mount the hard drive's partiion(s).

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

http://www.knoppix.com/

Another option is to boot from your distro's install CD
and see if you can run a diagnostics. What distro does
this machine have installed?

--
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.
- Emerson