From: Fred on
Hi,

I've lost my phone. I don't know if it's lost or stolen. My network
provider (o2) tells me there have been no calls on it. I assume they
mean no calls charged to my sim? But what if a thief removed my sim
card and replaced it with another? Is it possible to see if a certain
handset, I.e. with a certain imea, is being used? If I knew it was in
use I would know it had been stolen and I could stop looking for it!
How secure are sims and imeas? Can the imea be replaced with another
one? My sim required a pin when switched on; would that make it
difficult to use the sim?

TIA
From: R. Mark Clayton on
O" will disable the SIM and send you a new one.

If stolen (or lost and found) then in the UK it can be found from the IMEI.

From: Steve Terry on
"Fred" <fred(a)no-email.here.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I've lost my phone. I don't know if it's lost or stolen. My network
> provider (o2) tells me there have been no calls on it. I assume they
> mean no calls charged to my sim? But what if a thief removed my sim
> card and replaced it with another? Is it possible to see if a certain
> handset, I.e. with a certain imea, is being used? If I knew it was in
> use I would know it had been stolen and I could stop looking for it!
> How secure are sims and imeas? Can the imea be replaced with another
> one? My sim required a pin when switched on; would that make it
> difficult to use the sim?
> TIA

No point changing the IMEI, simply export the phone outside the
Dublin blacklist database area, Africa, Asia. etc.

There can't be a legitimate phone in Africa as they would have to
compete with the vast black market of stolen European phones.

A few years back TV journo Donal Macintyre had himself mugged
for his phone which he'd had bugged, and traced it to Ghana.

Steve Terry
--
Get a free Three 3pay Sim with �2 bonus after �10 top up
http://freeagent.three.co.uk/stand/view/id/5276

From: Fred on
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 19:03:05 -0000, "R. Mark Clayton"
<nospamclayton(a)btinternet.com> wrote:

>O" will disable the SIM and send you a new one.

They've done that for me.

>If stolen (or lost and found) then in the UK it can be found from the IMEI.

How do i do that? Do I need to contact anyone to trace the IMEI?
From: Ian Smith on
Steve Terry wrote:
> "Fred" <fred(a)no-email.here.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I've lost my phone. I don't know if it's lost or stolen. My network
>> provider (o2) tells me there have been no calls on it. I assume they
>> mean no calls charged to my sim? But what if a thief removed my sim
>> card and replaced it with another? Is it possible to see if a certain
>> handset, I.e. with a certain imea, is being used? If I knew it was in
>> use I would know it had been stolen and I could stop looking for it!
>> How secure are sims and imeas? Can the imea be replaced with another
>> one? My sim required a pin when switched on; would that make it
>> difficult to use the sim?
>> TIA
>>

> No point changing the IMEI, simply export the phone outside the
> Dublin blacklist database area, Africa, Asia. etc.
>
> There can't be a legitimate phone in Africa as they would have to
> compete with the vast black market of stolen European phones.
>
> A few years back TV journo Donal Macintyre had himself mugged
> for his phone which he'd had bugged, and traced it to Ghana.

.... and then exported back to London!

regards, Ian