From: The Grim Reaper on
Right.. after over 10 minutes of digging through my 500 gig hard drive....
lol... found my old code!
I used the MixerLine and Mixer structures and some different APIs to the
WaveOutSetVolume thingy.
A quick search on MSDN found the link below, which is a bit clearer than my
old code!

http://www.devx.com/vb2themax/Tip/19040?type=kbArticle&trk=MSCP

Hope that helps get your master volume under control!
The Grim Reaper

"Rich Milburn [MVP]" <richdotmilburnatapplebeesdotcom> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> This post sets the WaveOutVolume to 0. Note the different API
>> declaration to your "old" method.
>> http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=178167&SiteId=1
>>
>> Hope that gets you started.
>> The Grim Reaper
>>
>> "Rich Milburn [MVP]" <richdotmilburnatapplebeesdotcom> wrote in message
>>> Ok I am not a programmer, I copied some code and very painfully got it
>>> working in VB6. I can adjust the volume with waveOutSetVolume on
>>> winmm.dll. But I could not seem to be able to figure out how to adjust
>>> the master volume. I thought maybe if I upgraded this into VS2005
>>> VB.Net then it might be a little easier. But now I am getting
>>> PInvokeStackImbalance messages on this, and it doesn't even run. We're
>>> talking a very little program... A programmer-friend of mine told me
>>> this might be related to me calling dlls instead of using namespaces, he
>>> thinks something.computer.soundcard.volume.set or some such thing. My
>>> experience is vbScript so I am lost - I read you can't do this in
>>> vbScript, there are lots of questions out there about how do you control
>>> the master volume, lots of answers that dodge that question... anyone
>>> want to take a stab at fixing this, or pointing me to a good help-myself
>>> point? I do have MSDN Library but I have not made it through the whole
>>> DVD yet :op I'm not sure what to even search for. I suspect there is
>>> something like waveOutSetVolume but not starting with wave....
>>>
>>> Anyway first is the VB.Net conversion (this is all in the form code),
>>> complete with errors, then is the vb6 code that works - type in a
>>> percent and it sets the wave volume.
>>>
>>> TIA if anyone wants to take a stab at it...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rich Milburn
>>> [MVP - Directory Services]
>>>
>>> '----------------vbNet code-----------------------------
>>> ' This gets several errors from the conversion from vb6, most of it is
>>> copied and modified from vb6 (I think) examples
>>>
>>> Option Strict Off
>>> Option Explicit On
>>> Imports VB = Microsoft.VisualBasic
>>> Friend Class Form1
>>> Inherits System.Windows.Forms.Form
>>> Private Declare Function waveOutSetVolume Lib "WINMM.DLL" (ByVal
>>> wDeviceID As Short, ByVal dwVolume As Integer) As Short
>>> Private Declare Function waveOutGetVolume Lib "WINMM.DLL" (ByVal
>>> wDeviceID As Short, ByRef lpdwVolume As Integer) As Short
>>>
>>> Const SND_ASYNC As Short = &H1s
>>> Const SND_NODEFAULT As Short = &H2s
>>>
>>> Dim CurrentVolLeft As Integer
>>> Dim CurrentVolRight As Integer
>>>
>>> Private Sub SetMaxVol_Click(ByVal eventSender As System.Object, ByVal
>>> eventArgs As System.EventArgs) Handles SetMaxVol.Click
>>> Dim x As Short
>>> Dim a As Object
>>> Dim i As Integer
>>> Dim tmp As Object
>>> Dim vol As String
>>> vol = CStr(CDbl(Text1.Text) / 100 * 65535)
>>> 'UPGRADE_WARNING: Couldn't resolve default property of object tmp. Click
>>> 'ms-help://MS.VSCC.v80/dv_commoner/local/redirect.htm?keyword="6A50421D-15FE-4896-8A1B-2EC21E9037B2"'
>>> tmp = VB.Right(Hex(CDbl(vol) + 65536), 4)
>>> 'UPGRADE_WARNING: Couldn't resolve default property of object tmp. Click
>>> for more:
>>> 'ms-help://MS.VSCC.v80/dv_commoner/local/redirect.htm?keyword="6A50421D-15FE-4896-8A1B-2EC21E9037B2"'
>>> vol = CStr(CInt("&H" & tmp & tmp))
>>> 'UPGRADE_WARNING: Couldn't resolve default property of object a. Click
>>> for more:
>>> 'ms-help://MS.VSCC.v80/dv_commoner/local/redirect.htm?keyword="6A50421D-15FE-4896-8A1B-2EC21E9037B2"'
>>> a = waveOutSetVolume(0, CInt(vol))
>>>
>>> ' x = waveOutSetVolume(0, &HFFFFFFFF)
>>> End Sub
>>>
>>> Private Sub cmdRefresh_Click(ByVal eventSender As System.Object, ByVal
>>> eventArgs As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdRefresh.Click
>>> Dim x As Short
>>> Dim BothVolumes As Integer
>>> Dim tmp As String
>>>
>>> x = waveOutGetVolume(0, BothVolumes)
>>> CurrentVolLeft = BothVolumes And &HFFFF
>>>
>>> CurrentVolRight = (CShort(BothVolumes And &HFFFF0000) / &H10000) And
>>> &HFFFF
>>> LeftVol.Text = Hex(CurrentVolLeft)
>>> RightVol.Text = Hex(CurrentVolRight)
>>> tmp = "&h" & VB.Right(Hex(BothVolumes), 4)
>>> Text1.Text = CStr((CInt(tmp) / 65535) * 100)
>>>
>>> End Sub
>>>

>>> Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal eventSender As System.Object, ByVal
>>> eventArgs As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
>>> cmdRefresh_Click(cmdRefresh, New System.EventArgs())
>>> End Sub
>>> End Class
>>> '------------------ end vbNet code--------------------------
>>> 'vb6 code -----------------------------------------------
>>> 'this works for wave volume, but could not figure out master volume
>>> Option Explicit
>>> Private Declare Function waveOutSetVolume Lib "WINMM.DLL" (ByVal
>>> wDeviceID As Integer, ByVal dwVolume As Long) As Integer
>>> Private Declare Function waveOutGetVolume Lib "WINMM.DLL" (ByVal
>>> wDeviceID As Integer, lpdwVolume As Long) As Integer
>>> Const SND_ASYNC = &H1
>>> Const SND_NODEFAULT = &H2
>>> Dim CurrentVolLeft As Long
>>> Dim CurrentVolRight As Long
>>> Private Sub SetMaxVol_Click()
>>> Dim x As Integer
>>> Dim a, i As Long
>>> Dim tmp, vol As String
>>> vol = Text1 / 100 * 65535
>>> tmp = Right((Hex$(vol + 65536)), 4)
>>> vol = CLng("&H" & tmp & tmp)
>>> a = waveOutSetVolume(0, vol)
>>>
>>> ' x = waveOutSetVolume(0, &HFFFFFFFF)
>>> End Sub
>>> Private Sub cmdRefresh_Click()
>>> Dim x As Integer
>>> Dim BothVolumes As Long
>>> Dim tmp As String
>>>
>>> x = waveOutGetVolume(0, BothVolumes)
>>> CurrentVolLeft = BothVolumes And &HFFFF&
>>>
>>> CurrentVolRight = ((BothVolumes And &HFFFF0000) / &H10000) And
>>> &HFFFF&
>>> LeftVol.Caption = Hex$(CurrentVolLeft)
>>> RightVol.Caption = Hex$(CurrentVolRight)
>>> tmp = "&h" & Right(Hex$(BothVolumes), 4)

From: Rich Milburn [MVP] on
You Rock! it works great! I'll post the code here in case anyone is
interested. I have a command button called SetVol, and a text box called
Text1. Enter the percentage in the box and it sets both the master and wave
vol levels together.
it's mostly from that code at devx...
Rich

--
Rich Milburn
[MVP - Directory Services]

Const MMSYSERR_NOERROR = 0
Const MAXPNAMELEN = 32
Const MIXER_LONG_NAME_CHARS = 64
Const MIXER_SHORT_NAME_CHARS = 16
Const MIXER_GETLINEINFOF_COMPONENTTYPE = &H3&
Const MIXER_GETLINECONTROLSF_ONEBYTYPE = &H2&
Const MIXER_SETCONTROLDETAILSF_VALUE = &H0&
Const MIXERLINE_COMPONENTTYPE_DST_FIRST = &H0&
Const MIXERLINE_COMPONENTTYPE_DST_SPEAKERS = &H4
Const MIXERCONTROL_CONTROLTYPE_VOLUME = &H50030001

Private Declare Function mixerOpen Lib "WINMM.DLL" (phmx As Long, _
ByVal uMxId As Long, ByVal dwCallback As Long, ByVal dwInstance As Long,
_
ByVal fdwOpen As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function mixerGetLineInfo Lib "WINMM.DLL" Alias _
"mixerGetLineInfoA" (ByVal hmxobj As Long, pmxl As MIXERLINE, _
ByVal fdwInfo As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function mixerGetLineControls Lib "WINMM.DLL" Alias _
"mixerGetLineControlsA" (ByVal hmxobj As Long, pmxlc As
MIXERLINECONTROLS, _
ByVal fdwControls As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function mixerSetControlDetails Lib "WINMM.DLL" (ByVal
hmxobj _
As Long, pmxcd As MIXERCONTROLDETAILS, ByVal fdwDetails As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function mixerClose Lib "WINMM.DLL" (ByVal hmx As Long) As
Long
Private Declare Sub CopyMemory Lib "kernel32" Alias "RtlMoveMemory" _
(Destination As Any, Source As Any, ByVal Length As Long)
Private Declare Function GlobalAlloc Lib "kernel32" (ByVal wFlags As Long, _
ByVal dwBytes As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function GlobalLock Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hmem As Long) As
Long
Private Declare Function GlobalFree Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hmem As Long) As
Long
Private Declare Function waveOutSetVolume Lib "WINMM.DLL" (ByVal wDeviceID
As Integer, ByVal dwVolume As Long) As Integer

Private Type MIXERCONTROL
cbStruct As Long
dwControlID As Long
dwControlType As Long
fdwControl As Long
cMultipleItems As Long
szShortName As String * MIXER_SHORT_NAME_CHARS
szName As String * MIXER_LONG_NAME_CHARS
lMinimum As Long
lMaximum As Long
reserved(10) As Long
End Type

Private Type MIXERCONTROLDETAILS
cbStruct As Long
dwControlID As Long
cChannels As Long
item As Long
cbDetails As Long
paDetails As Long
End Type

Private Type MIXERCONTROLDETAILS_UNSIGNED
dwValue As Long
End Type

Private Type MIXERLINE
cbStruct As Long
dwDestination As Long
dwSource As Long
dwLineID As Long
fdwLine As Long
dwUser As Long
dwComponentType As Long
cChannels As Long
cConnections As Long
cControls As Long
szShortName As String * MIXER_SHORT_NAME_CHARS
szName As String * MIXER_LONG_NAME_CHARS
dwType As Long
dwDeviceID As Long
wMid As Integer
wPid As Integer
vDriverVersion As Long
szPname As String * MAXPNAMELEN
End Type

Private Type MIXERLINECONTROLS
cbStruct As Long
dwLineID As Long
dwControl As Long
cControls As Long
cbmxctrl As Long
pamxctrl As Long
End Type

' Set the master volume level.
'
' VolumeLevel is the level value in percentage (0 = min, 100 = max)
' Returns True if successful

Function SetVolume(VolumeLevel As Long) As Boolean
Dim hmx As Long
Dim uMixerLine As MIXERLINE
Dim uMixerControl As MIXERCONTROL
Dim uMixerLineControls As MIXERLINECONTROLS
Dim uDetails As MIXERCONTROLDETAILS
Dim uUnsigned As MIXERCONTROLDETAILS_UNSIGNED
Dim RetValue As Long
Dim hmem As Long

' VolumeLevel value must be between 0 and 100
If VolumeLevel < 0 Or VolumeLevel > 100 Then GoTo error

' Open the mixer
RetValue = mixerOpen(hmx, 0, 0, 0, 0)
If RetValue <> MMSYSERR_NOERROR Then GoTo error

' Initialize MIXERLINE structure and call mixerGetLineInfo
uMixerLine.cbStruct = Len(uMixerLine)
uMixerLine.dwComponentType = MIXERLINE_COMPONENTTYPE_DST_SPEAKERS
RetValue = mixerGetLineInfo(hmx, uMixerLine, _
MIXER_GETLINEINFOF_COMPONENTTYPE)
If RetValue <> MMSYSERR_NOERROR Then GoTo error

' Initialize MIXERLINECONTROLS strucure and
' call mixerGetLineControls
uMixerLineControls.cbStruct = Len(uMixerLineControls)
uMixerLineControls.dwLineID = uMixerLine.dwLineID
uMixerLineControls.dwControl = MIXERCONTROL_CONTROLTYPE_VOLUME
uMixerLineControls.cControls = 1
uMixerLineControls.cbmxctrl = Len(uMixerControl)

' Allocate a buffer to receive the properties of the master volume
control
' and put his address into uMixerLineControls.pamxctrl
hmem = GlobalAlloc(&H40, Len(uMixerControl))
uMixerLineControls.pamxctrl = GlobalLock(hmem)
uMixerControl.cbStruct = Len(uMixerControl)
RetValue = mixerGetLineControls(hmx, uMixerLineControls, _
MIXER_GETLINECONTROLSF_ONEBYTYPE)
If RetValue <> MMSYSERR_NOERROR Then GoTo error

' Copy data buffer into the uMixerControl structure
CopyMemory uMixerControl, ByVal uMixerLineControls.pamxctrl, _
Len(uMixerControl)
GlobalFree hmem
hmem = 0

uDetails.item = 0
uDetails.dwControlID = uMixerControl.dwControlID
uDetails.cbStruct = Len(uDetails)
uDetails.cbDetails = Len(uUnsigned)

' Allocate a buffer in which properties for the volume control are set
' and put his address into uDetails.paDetails
hmem = GlobalAlloc(&H40, Len(uUnsigned))
uDetails.paDetails = GlobalLock(hmem)
uDetails.cChannels = 1
uUnsigned.dwValue = CLng((VolumeLevel * uMixerControl.lMaximum) / 100)
CopyMemory ByVal uDetails.paDetails, uUnsigned, Len(uUnsigned)

' Set new volume level
RetValue = mixerSetControlDetails(hmx, uDetails, _
MIXER_SETCONTROLDETAILSF_VALUE)
GlobalFree hmem
hmem = 0
If RetValue <> MMSYSERR_NOERROR Then GoTo error

mixerClose hmx
' signal success
SetVolume = True
Exit Function

error:
' An error occurred

' Release resources
If hmx <> 0 Then mixerClose hmx
If hmem Then GlobalFree hmem
' signal failure
SetVolume = False

End Function

Private Sub SetWaveVol(VolumeLevel As Long)
Dim a As Long
Dim tmp, vol As String
vol = VolumeLevel / 100 * 65535
tmp = Right((Hex$(vol + 65536)), 4)
vol = CLng("&H" & tmp & tmp)
a = waveOutSetVolume(0, vol)
End Sub

Private Sub SetVol_Click()
SetVolume (Text1.Text)
SetWaveVol (Text1.Text)
End Sub

From: The Grim Reaper on
It's nice to hear that for a change!
If you ever get the code converted up to VB 2005, I'd be very interested!
Got a lot of other stuff to do before I get round to it though :(

> [...]
>>
>> http://www.devx.com/vb2themax/Tip/19040?type=kbArticle&trk=MSCP
>>
>> Hope that helps get your master volume under control!
>> The Grim Reaper
>>
>> "Rich Milburn [MVP]" <richdotmilburnatapplebeesdotcom> wrote in message
>>>I downloaded the source code you referred to, and tried to wade through
>>>it... it sure does a lot of stuff... I did indeed already find the MSDN
>>>link on waveOutSetVolume, and I have indeed gotten that one working.
>>>What I could not figure out is what is the comparable API for
>>>MasterOutSetVolume - not that it is called that, it's not - if it was, I
>>>wouldn't have to ask :)
>>> I did post this to directx.audio also, but that group is pretty slow...
>>>
>>> I cut my vb6 code down to:
>>>
>>> Private Declare Function waveOutSetVolume Lib "WINMM.DLL" (ByVal
>>> wDeviceID
>>> As Integer, ByVal dwVolume As Long) As Integer

>>> tmp = Right((Hex$(vol + 65536)), 4)
>>> vol = CLng("&H" & tmp & tmp)