From: Lars Uffmann on
Julian Smart wrote:
> VC++ (which you can get free) compiles much smaller executables.

VC is baaad, mkaay? :) It's spreading Microsoft's sloppy approach at
doing their software (banana products), it's not open source(!) and thus
nobody can keep M$ from doing any license changes on the next version of
VC++ that render it useless (or expensive to use) for the average
programmer.

> However, I feel that we can probably do something about GCC static
> binary sizes by passing extra flags:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2003-08/msg00128.html
> Has anyone tried it?

I just tried that, apparently -fvtable-gc is no longer supported (got a
compiler warning) and it didn't accect the outcome by one byte.

Best Regards,

Lars
From: Julian Smart on
Lars Uffmann wrote:

> Julian Smart wrote:
>> VC++ (which you can get free) compiles much smaller executables.
>
> VC is baaad, mkaay? :) It's spreading Microsoft's sloppy approach at
> doing their software (banana products), it's not open source(!) and
> thus nobody can keep M$ from doing any license changes on the next
> version of VC++ that render it useless (or expensive to use) for the
> average programmer.
I'm not particularly a fan of Microsoft, but VC++ is fast and produces
small binaries compared with GCC and I wouldn't consider using another
compiler on Windows - I just don't want to wait around for gcc compiles.
Mind you, I'm still using VC++ 6. Until I absolutely have to I'm not
going to use their latest compiler for real work (just for testing
wxWidgets/DialogBlocks against).

>> However, I feel that we can probably do something about GCC static
>> binary sizes by passing extra flags:
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2003-08/msg00128.html
>> Has anyone tried it?
>
> I just tried that, apparently -fvtable-gc is no longer supported (got
> a compiler warning) and it didn't accect the outcome by one byte.
Ah. One can also apparently pass -ffunction-sections and -fdata-sections
to the compiler and --gc-sections to the linker but I've seen a note
about this actually increasing executable size...

Regards,

Julian

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: Harry "harry dot news at armadillo dot on

I was looking into the question of static library size, since for me the
added size from xw is a whopping 2.3 MB !

I believe that in my case the problem resides the XRC module that
references many object types in wx.
Using XRC therefore causes the linking-in of a lot of libraries that are
not otherwise used.
The only way to reduce the link size is to turn off options in setup.h .
I tried that, but got compile errors. Apparently some dependencies are
undocumented and unchecked.

Regards
Harry
From: Igor Korot on
Harry,

>I was looking into the question of static library size, since for me the
>added size from xw is a whopping 2.3 MB !
>
>I believe that in my case the problem resides the XRC module that
>references many object types in wx.
>Using XRC therefore causes the linking-in of a lot of libraries that are
>not otherwise used.
>The only way to reduce the link size is to turn off options in setup.h .
>I tried that, but got compile errors. Apparently some dependencies are
>undocumented and unchecked.

Which is sooo unfortunate... ;-)

>Regards
>Harry

Thank you.

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: Harry "harry dot news at armadillo dot on
Igor Korot wrote:
>> The only way to reduce the link size is to turn off options in setup.h .
>> I tried that, but got compile errors. Apparently some dependencies are
>> undocumented and unchecked.
>>
> Which is sooo unfortunate... ;-)

Yes, it would perhaps be a good idea for someone to create the
XRC-specific equivalent of setup.h
to make it possible to turn off references to unused wx types in XRC itself.
It makes no sense to turn these options off for all the libraries,
besides the risk of compilation errors.
The libraries may stay fully compiled - it's XRC that should be
selectively reduced.
After all, if a module in a link library is unreferenced then it's not
loaded.
If this will be done, than there won't be such a need to monkey around
with setup.h.

Regards
Harry