From: Lars Uffmann on
Hi everyone!

As you probably saw in my other thread, I only just managed to configure
my eclipse CDT to compile and link wxWidgets libraries with the managed
make project.

Now it appears to me that my current settings statically link a massive
overhead from precompiled DLLs, stuff that I don't need, boosting my
executable for wxWidgets-2.8.7/samples/minimal/ to the enormous size of
~27MBytes.
Btw, this is just slightly bigger than Cywgin links it with
g++ minimal.cpp `wx-config --libs --cxxflags` -o minimal.exe

So here's my question:
Can I - and if so, how - massively reduce the file size for an
executable standalone wxWidgets-application by statically linking only
the classes/methods that I _really_ need in my project?

Is it possible to extract that functionality from precompiled libraries?
I guess not, and that would mean that I have to include the wxWidgets
sources in my project, instead of precompiled stuff, wouldn't it?

Thanks in advance!

Lars
From: Werner Smekal on
Hi Lars,

this is a common question and there is a wiki entry for that question:

http://www.wxwidgets.org/wiki/index.php/Reducing_Executable_Size

Maybe this is of any help for you.

Regards,
Werner

--
Dr. Werner Smekal
Institut fuer Allgemeine Physik

email: smekal(a)iap.tuwien.ac.at
web: http://www.iap.tuwien.ac.at/~smekal
phone: +43-(0)1-58801-13463 (office), +43-(0)1-58801-13469 (laboratory)
fax: +43-(0)1-58801-13499

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: "Guru Kathiresan" on
Hi,
You can find the information at
http://www.wxwidgets.org/wiki/index.php/Reducing_Executable_Size

Small note: Please do a search on the wxWidgets.org wiki or the mailing list
(via google groups) before sending a question.

-Thanks,
Guru Kathiresan
Cross platform Form Designer for C++ Builder http://www.twinforms.com/

From: Lars Uffmann on
Hi Werner!

Werner Smekal wrote:
> this is a common question and there is a wiki entry for that question:
> http://www.wxwidgets.org/wiki/index.php/Reducing_Executable_Size

Sorry - tbh I didn't check for a wiki entry, but from what I can tell:

> Maybe this is of any help for you.
No, it isn't helping :/

Unless that really means I have to manually edit every single define
statement in the setup.h header file.

I was definitely not looking for options to optimize size vs. speed, and
definitely not looking for suggestions to dynamically link libraries (my
OP stated that I believe) - merely for a possibility to drop all the
functionality that I do not need at all.

From what I can tell, I'd have to exclude all those libraries not only
from linkage, but also #define the appropriate flags as 0 in the setup.h
- that's hardly convenient.

Edit: Just removed all the libraries that wx-config --libs links from
the statement and manually built minimal sample and apparently it
doesn't decrease executable size by one bit.

Sooo - what's the minimum size of a standalone(*) wxwidgets executable?
1MB? 5MB? 26MB???

Anyone? :)

Best Regards,

Lars

PS: And by standalone I mean that it comes with all the USED wxwidgets
related functions/classes statically linked
From: Chris Elliott on

On 25 Jan 2008, at 13:16, Lars Uffmann wrote:

> Hi Werner!
>
> Werner Smekal wrote:
>> this is a common question and there is a wiki entry for that
>> question:
>> http://www.wxwidgets.org/wiki/index.php/Reducing_Executable_Size
>
> Sorry - tbh I didn't check for a wiki entry, but from what I can tell:
>
>> Maybe this is of any help for you.
> No, it isn't helping :/
>
> Unless that really means I have to manually edit every single define
> statement in the setup.h header file.

That's the way, the linker is completely hopeless at removing code you
don't use
chris

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org