From: Rod Speed on
idgat wrote
> jones <jones(a)nowhere.com> wrote

>> I had to ring them and the fellow (who was helpful I think),
>> after working through differint tests, said it is probably
>> the cables are too far away from the phone socket.

>> I do have an extension of the phone cable to plug
>> the modem, and filter into - about 18 metres.

>> He said it would be better to move the modem closer to the phone
>> socket - no further than 3 metres, otherwise it distorts the line/signal.

> Phone line cable should be absolute minimum with
> modem nearest the phone socket as possible ....

That is just plain wrong. Consider how long it is from the socket to the exchange.

> then you can have the network cable to the
> computer as l-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-n-g as you like.

Wrong again.

From: Sandgroper on

"idgat" <anon(a)anon.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 12:59:06 +1100, "jones" <jones(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>Thank you for your advice/s.
>>
>>I had to ring them and the fellow (who was helpful I think), after working
>>through differint tests, said it is probably the cables are too far away
>>from the phone socket.
>>
>>I do have an extension of the phone cable to plug the modem, and filter
>>into - about 18 metres.
>>He said it would be better to move the modem closer to the phone socket -
>>no
>>further than 3 metres, otherwise it distorts the line/signal.
>
> ++1.
>
> .... then you can have the network cable to
> the computer as l-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-n-g as you like.

Network cable must be less then 100 metres.

--

Sandgroper
Save planet Earth !

From: idgat on
On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 19:44:51 +1000, Andy <nospam@> wrote:

>idgat wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 12:59:06 +1100, "jones" <jones(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Thank you for your advice/s.
>>>
>>>I had to ring them and the fellow (who was helpful I think), after working
>>>through differint tests, said it is probably the cables are too far away
>>>from the phone socket.
>
>Unfortunately, no, he wasn't overly helpful. He used one of the oldest
>excuses in the book and didn't RESOLVE anything.
>
>>>I do have an extension of the phone cable to plug the modem, and filter
>>>into - about 18 metres.
>>>He said it would be better to move the modem closer to the phone socket - no
>>>further than 3 metres, otherwise it distorts the line/signal.
>>
>> ++1.
>>
>> Phone line cable should be absolute minimum with modem nearest the
>> phone socket as possible .... then you can have the network cable to
>> the computer as l-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-n-g as you like.
>
>No, this is bullshit.

Yes, I agree. What you posted following really is bullshit. Totally
disregards the laws of electronic data transmission.

--
idgat
Compuglobalhypermeganet Inc.
From: Rob on
On 3/02/2010 8:44 PM, Andy wrote:
> idgat wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 12:59:06 +1100, "jones"<jones(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you for your advice/s.
>>>
>>> I had to ring them and the fellow (who was helpful I think), after working
>>> through differint tests, said it is probably the cables are too far away
>> >from the phone socket.
>
> Unfortunately, no, he wasn't overly helpful. He used one of the oldest
> excuses in the book and didn't RESOLVE anything.
>
>>> I do have an extension of the phone cable to plug the modem, and filter
>>> into - about 18 metres.
>>> He said it would be better to move the modem closer to the phone socket - no
>>> further than 3 metres, otherwise it distorts the line/signal.
>>
>> ++1.
>>
>> Phone line cable should be absolute minimum with modem nearest the
>> phone socket as possible .... then you can have the network cable to
>> the computer as l-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-n-g as you like.
>
> No, this is bullshit.
>
> And unfortunately, it's 'popular' bullshit, but bullshit nonetheless.
>
> Just the ISP shirking responsibility and blaming the customer.
>
> Consider that a good percentage of folks are over 2 KILOMETRES
> (that's 2000 metres, yes?) away from the exchange they're connected to,
> then try and figure out how much difference in attenuation and signal
> to noise ratio an endpoint phone cable longer than 3 metres will make.
>
> Show your work.

Is there a difference between ADSL1 and ADSL2 when calculating the
figures? One better than the other?
From: jones on
yes that is how the man explained it to me. A short phone cable but I can
buy a longer extension of the yellow cable from the modem to the computer.
And just plug the black heavy power thingy into another power point.

Katherine

"idgat" <anon(a)anon.com> wrote in message

> Phone line cable should be absolute minimum with modem nearest the
> phone socket as possible .... then you can have the network cable to
> the computer as l-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-n-g as you like.
> --
> idgat
> Compuglobalhypermeganet Inc.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Help Requested With Internet Problem
Next: How frustrating