From: Lauren Orda on
Hello,
Since early this morning I have been receiving constant repeats of an email
(the source is a friend). The email in question has several picture
attachments. My system has been blocked and slowed down considerably because
it takes five or more minutes to receive one of these emails and at any one
time there are over 30 waiting to download. I cannot send any emails because
that rogue email is constantly being downloaded. I have used several good
virus protection programs and scanned the entire PC several times. No
problems were found. I have a Gmail account so I can send emails from there.
But my systems has slowed down because of the bottleneck on the email
downloads.
Can any kind sould please offer advice.
I have notified sender of the email, but not heard back yet. Will advise
further if anything comes to hand.
Thanks

From: Rob on
On 2/02/2010 9:16 PM, Lauren Orda wrote:
> Hello,
> Since early this morning I have been receiving constant repeats of an email
> (the source is a friend). The email in question has several picture
> attachments. My system has been blocked and slowed down considerably because
> it takes five or more minutes to receive one of these emails and at any one
> time there are over 30 waiting to download. I cannot send any emails because
> that rogue email is constantly being downloaded. I have used several good
> virus protection programs and scanned the entire PC several times. No
> problems were found. I have a Gmail account so I can send emails from there.
> But my systems has slowed down because of the bottleneck on the email
> downloads.
> Can any kind sould please offer advice.
> I have notified sender of the email, but not heard back yet. Will advise
> further if anything comes to hand.
> Thanks

Two things you may have a look at doing

If you have access to your email through a web browser you can delete it
all there without downloading if off the server.

or Download Mailwasher www.firetrust.com use as a trial this will look
at your emails which are on your server and can delete them.

Either way your not downloading the entire email just the information
headers.
From: z1 on
Lauren Orda wrote:
> Hello,
> Since early this morning I have been receiving constant repeats of an email
> (the source is a friend). The email in question has several picture
> attachments. My system has been blocked and slowed down considerably because
> it takes five or more minutes to receive one of these emails and at any one
> time there are over 30 waiting to download. I cannot send any emails because
> that rogue email is constantly being downloaded. I have used several good
> virus protection programs and scanned the entire PC several times. No
> problems were found. I have a Gmail account so I can send emails from there.
> But my systems has slowed down because of the bottleneck on the email
> downloads.
> Can any kind sould please offer advice.
> I have notified sender of the email, but not heard back yet. Will advise
> further if anything comes to hand.
> Thanks

So are you referring to the email address you have from your ISP?

If that is the case, then you can try this work-around:

1. In the email client you are using, delete your email account.
2. Access your ISP email account via your browser.
3. Anything you see there you don't want, you can immediately delete.
4. Just use Gmail

Alternatively:
If you use Thunderbird, you can limit the amount of email [size] in Disk
Space (do not dowmload messages larger than 20K) which means you will
get a message where you can choose to download further.

Also get onto your ISP and ask if they can tweet their filter [if your
ISP does this - some don't].

You can use Outlook Express to send and receive Gmail btw.

If you need any further help keep us posted.
From: Sandgroper on

"Lauren Orda" <cis123(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> Since early this morning I have been receiving constant repeats of an
> email (the source is a friend). The email in question has several picture
> attachments. My system has been blocked and slowed down considerably
> because it takes five or more minutes to receive one of these emails and
> at any one time there are over 30 waiting to download. I cannot send any
> emails because that rogue email is constantly being downloaded. I have
> used several good virus protection programs and scanned the entire PC
> several times. No problems were found. I have a Gmail account so I can
> send emails from there. But my systems has slowed down because of the
> bottleneck on the email downloads.
> Can any kind sould please offer advice.
> I have notified sender of the email, but not heard back yet. Will advise
> further if anything comes to hand.

As others have said , access your email account with your web browser and
delete the emails directly of the mail server.
As well , since you are using Outlook Express , you can create a email
message rule and check the box that says don't download message from the
server.

--

Sandgroper
Save planet Earth !

From: Fred on
Lauren Orda wrote:
> Hello,
> Since early this morning I have been receiving constant repeats of an
> email (the source is a friend). The email in question has several
> picture attachments. My system has been blocked and slowed down
> considerably because it takes five or more minutes to receive one of
> these emails and at any one time there are over 30 waiting to
> download. I cannot send any emails because that rogue email is
> constantly being downloaded. I have used several good virus
> protection programs and scanned the entire PC several times. No
> problems were found. I have a Gmail account so I can send emails from
> there. But my systems has slowed down because of the bottleneck on
> the email downloads. Can any kind sould please offer advice.
> I have notified sender of the email, but not heard back yet. Will
> advise further if anything comes to hand.
> Thanks

Is the email being sent to your Bigpond address?
If so as others have said follow their customer help guide to delete the
email using webmail
Not sure if this link will work but.
http://bigpond.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bigpond.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=181&p_created=1044639520&p_sid=D8LInxTj&p_accessibility=&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjcyLDI3MiZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfcGxhdGZvcm09JnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9ZGVsZXRlIGVtYWls&p_li=&p_topview=1

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Firefox - Resource Hungry
Next: modem help again please