From: z1 on
Fred wrote:
> Lauren Orda wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Since early this morning I have been receiving constant repeats of an
>> email (the source is a friend). The email in question has several
>> picture attachments. My system has been blocked and slowed down
>> considerably because it takes five or more minutes to receive one of
>> these emails and at any one time there are over 30 waiting to
>> download. I cannot send any emails because that rogue email is
>> constantly being downloaded. I have used several good virus
>> protection programs and scanned the entire PC several times. No
>> problems were found. I have a Gmail account so I can send emails from
>> there. But my systems has slowed down because of the bottleneck on
>> the email downloads. Can any kind sould please offer advice.
>> I have notified sender of the email, but not heard back yet. Will
>> advise further if anything comes to hand.
>> Thanks
>
> Is the email being sent to your Bigpond address?
> If so as others have said follow their customer help guide to delete the
> email using webmail
> Not sure if this link will work but.
> http://bigpond.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bigpond.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=181&p_created=1044639520&p_sid=D8LInxTj&p_accessibility=&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjcyLDI3MiZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfcGxhdGZvcm09JnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9ZGVsZXRlIGVtYWls&p_li=&p_topview=1

does that mean that BP doesn't run a filter at their end?
From: Rod Speed on
z1 wrote:
> Lauren Orda wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Since early this morning I have been receiving constant repeats of
>> an email (the source is a friend). The email in question has several
>> picture attachments. My system has been blocked and slowed down
>> considerably because it takes five or more minutes to receive one of
>> these emails and at any one time there are over 30 waiting to
>> download. I cannot send any emails because that rogue email is
>> constantly being downloaded. I have used several good virus
>> protection programs and scanned the entire PC several times. No
>> problems were found. I have a Gmail account so I can send emails
>> from there. But my systems has slowed down because of the bottleneck
>> on the email downloads. Can any kind sould please offer advice.
>> I have notified sender of the email, but not heard back yet. Will
>> advise further if anything comes to hand.
>> Thanks
>>

> So are you referring to the email address you have from your ISP?
>
> If that is the case, then you can try this work-around:
>
> 1. In the email client you are using, delete your email account.

You dont need to do that, just dont load your email client.

From: Axel Hammerschmidt on
Lauren Orda:

<snip>

> But my systems has slowed down because of the bottleneck on the
> email downloads.
>
> Can any kind sould please offer advice.

POP3? IMAP?

Outlook? Outlook Express? Eudora? ...

No Web Mail? Windows?

OK, assume Windows, POP3 and Outlook Express.

Open a Terminal: Start -> Run.

Type: cmd in the box and hit Return.

In the Command window, at the Prompt

Type: telnet <your_isp's_mail_server> 110
Type: Return
Type: user <mail_account_your_username>
Type: Return
Type: pass <your_account_password>
Type: Return
Type: list
Type: Return

You will get a list of massages with each message's number and size
on your account on the POP3 server. Make a note of the number(s) of
these *big* messages, n1, n2, ... nk.

For each *big* message number 'np'

Type: dele np, p = 1, 2, ... k.
Type: Return

[continue until p = k]

Type: quit
Type: Return
Type: exit
Type: Return

Start Outlook Express and download the rest.

--
2GB RAM should be enough for anyone.
From: Axel Hammerschmidt on
Axel Hammerschmidt <hlexa(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> In the Command window, at the Prompt
>
> Type: telnet <your_isp's_mail_server> 110
> Type: Return

[...]

Damn! All the "Type: Return"s should have been "Hit Return"s.
From: Hugh Jeego on
If you stopped the email from downloading (any email waiting) before the
whole lot is finished then it will continue from the start all over again.

You can make up a rule in your email program to delete "from server" and
email coming from that email address. It wont attempt to download it, just
delete it. Remember to remove the rule later.

"Lauren Orda" <cis123(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> Since early this morning I have been receiving constant repeats of an
> email (the source is a friend). The email in question has several picture
> attachments. My system has been blocked and slowed down considerably
> because it takes five or more minutes to receive one of these emails and
> at any one time there are over 30 waiting to download. I cannot send any
> emails because that rogue email is constantly being downloaded. I have
> used several good virus protection programs and scanned the entire PC
> several times. No problems were found. I have a Gmail account so I can
> send emails from there. But my systems has slowed down because of the
> bottleneck on the email downloads.
> Can any kind sould please offer advice.
> I have notified sender of the email, but not heard back yet. Will advise
> further if anything comes to hand.
> Thanks

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3