From: jones on
The PPP light on the modem is starting to drop out.

I then have to turn it off and on again. I must do this several times during
a session.

Any ideas why it is doing that please before I ring TPG, whom I haven't had
trouble with so far.

Thank you
Katherine

From: jones on
Thank you for your advice/s.

I had to ring them and the fellow (who was helpful I think), after working
through differint tests, said it is probably the cables are too far away
from the phone socket.

I do have an extension of the phone cable to plug the modem, and filter
into - about 18 metres.
He said it would be better to move the modem closer to the phone socket - no
further than 3 metres, otherwise it distorts the line/signal.

Will try anything once.

Katherine

From: Rob on
On 3/02/2010 1:29 PM, Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF > wrote:
> jones wrote:
>> Thank you for your advice/s.
>>
>> I had to ring them and the fellow (who was helpful I think), after
>> working through differint tests, said it is probably the cables are
>> too far away from the phone socket.
>>
>> I do have an extension of the phone cable to plug the modem, and
>> filter into - about 18 metres.
>> He said it would be better to move the modem closer to the phone
>> socket - no further than 3 metres, otherwise it distorts the line/signal.
>>
>> Will try anything once.
>
> I don't buy it. My cable from the phone socket to the modem is 5 metres.
> I don't get any problems. This is irrelevant anyway, since you have a
> lot of line distance on the other side of the socket. Considerably more
> than 18 metres - all the way to the exchange.

Reading some of the forums where this has been reported, seems that the
solution for the ISP is to move the modem.

It has not been a solution to the problem BTW.
From: Sandgroper on

"jones" <jones(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
> The PPP light on the modem is starting to drop out.
>
> I then have to turn it off and on again. I must do this several times
> during a session.
>
> Any ideas why it is doing that please before I ring TPG, whom I haven't
> had trouble with so far.

Log onto your modem's web page and look for your line attenuation , signal
to noise ratio (SNR) and sync speed stats and post them here so people can
see what your line condition is like along with the type of modem you have.
( you will find these stats somewhere listed under the WAN section )

You can also try an isolation test by unplugging all telephones, faxes ....
etc and just having the modem connected to the socket. ( with filter )
Generally speaking , it is the line distance from your telephone exchange to
your telephone socket that is determines most of your line conditions and
sync speed and having a telephone extension of up to 3 - 5 metres is OK at
times , but you may need to keep it away from any electrical interference.

--

Sandgroper
Save planet Earth !

From: idgat on
On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 12:59:06 +1100, "jones" <jones(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

>Thank you for your advice/s.
>
>I had to ring them and the fellow (who was helpful I think), after working
>through differint tests, said it is probably the cables are too far away
>from the phone socket.
>
>I do have an extension of the phone cable to plug the modem, and filter
>into - about 18 metres.
>He said it would be better to move the modem closer to the phone socket - no
>further than 3 metres, otherwise it distorts the line/signal.

++1.

Phone line cable should be absolute minimum with modem nearest the
phone socket as possible .... then you can have the network cable to
the computer as l-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-n-g as you like.
--
idgat
Compuglobalhypermeganet Inc.