From: Nancy on
I have disabled most programs on the startup tab so my computer starts up
well. My question is, can I disable some of the programs on the "services"
tab so that my computer will run faster?
From: Unknown on
Many are stopped (disabled) . Give an example.

From: henry markov on
Yes but you need to know what you're doing. Visit www.blackviper.com for
advice.

From: Gerry on
Nancy

You are misusing msconfig. It is a tool for troubleshooting a
problematic boot. It is is not intended to be used to disable start up
items.

To identify what loads when you boot use Autoruns (freeware) from
Microsoft.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/Autoruns.mspx

With Autoruns you can uncheck an item, which disables it from
starting,or you can right click an item and then delete it. If you
uncheck you can recheck to re-enable the item. It is a much safer
approach than editing the Registry and better than using msconfig..
Another useful feature of the programme is that you can right click an
item and select Search Online to get information about the item
selected.

Turning off services is likely to lead to problems. Many users that do
then ask later why does this not works. If you are seeking better system
performance there are better ways to go about it.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~