From: Eric Sosman on
On 12/23/2009 5:24 AM, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
> "novickivan(a)gmail.com"<novickivan(a)gmail.com> writes:
>> [...]
>> The subtle question here is, are reads and writes of a variable
>> atomic?
>
> The short answer is 'yes'.

The short answer is "maybe."

--
Eric Sosman
esosman(a)ieee-dot-org.invalid
From: Rainer Weikusat on
Eric Sosman <esosman(a)ieee-dot-org.invalid> writes:
> On 12/23/2009 5:24 AM, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
>> "novickivan(a)gmail.com"<novickivan(a)gmail.com> writes:
>>> [...]
>>> The subtle question here is, are reads and writes of a variable
>>> atomic?
>>
>> The short answer is 'yes'.
>
> The short answer is "maybe."

That's the long answer, and it shouldn't be 'maybe' but 'very likely
so' and include a somewhat more detailed explanation. Possibly
including a list of platforms where the answer is actually no and the
addresses of the various museums where one can still see them[*].

[*] An example I remembler (from a past posting) was 'some
m68k platform' where the data bus width was smaller than the
'int size'.

BTW, there is no such thing as a good or even honest motive for trying
to conceal information by threatening others into voluntarily
blindfolding themselves.

From: Ralph Böhme on
Eric Sosman <esosman(a)ieee-dot-org.invalid> schrieb:
> On 12/23/2009 5:24 AM, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
>> "novickivan(a)gmail.com"<novickivan(a)gmail.com> writes:
>>> [...]
>>> The subtle question here is, are reads and writes of a variable
>>> atomic?
>>
>> The short answer is 'yes'.
> The short answer is "maybe."

I guess the helpful short answer is sig_atomic_t ?

-Ralph

--
s/-nsp// for mail
From: Golden California Girls on
Rainer Weikusat wrote:

> No I didn't, as you are very well aware. The relevant header which
> came with the original posting was

> AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.0.249.43 Safari/532.5,gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)

Which just means he has a Mac, it in no way implies that is the machine he is
writing code for.
From: David Schwartz on
On Dec 23, 2:29 am, Rainer Weikusat <rweiku...(a)mssgmbh.com> wrote:

> > It depends what the documentation for the threading standard you are
> > using says. If POSIX, you are not guaranteed anything at all, it could
> > even crash.

> This is a statement which goes beyond the realm of the standard,
> meaning, either it describes an actual example, then this example
> should be named, and otherwise, it is science fiction.

Huh? The POSIX standard is quite clear that it puts no restrictions
whatsoever on what an implementation can do in this case.

DS