From: michael adams on

"Joe" <joe(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Gee, my 8 year old Dell is finally losing its battery. I now get a warning
> when booting up- (forgot to write it down exactly) warning about battery
> failure. So, I bought a new battery- but I just noticed that the manual says
> I need to write down everything in Setup. Is that really necessary? One
> friend suggested that if I make a restore point before the replacement- it
> should contain that info, but I'm not so sure of that.
>
> So, should I bother to write down everything in Setup? I should think that a
> PC should be able to do this itself!
>
> Joe

There's no need to write anything down.

Switch on your printer.

Reboot.

Press the [F2] key during reboot to bring up page 1 the BIOS screen

Press the [Print Screen] key.

The machine will eventually print out page 1 of the BIOS settings

Press [Alt] [P] to bring up page 2 of the BIOS settings

Again press the [Print Screen ] key and the machine should eventually
print out page 2 of the Bios settings.

Printing page 2 can sometimes create problems - the printer may give an out
of paper request which needs to be cancelled, on mine anyway. But persistence
pays off.

I only know this because I've got still a copy of the bios settings titled
"CMOS SETUP" of two previous Dell machines, all neatly printed out.
Not quite remembering how I did this, I've just now done this one as well,
to be sure

michael adams

From: Boris on
"michael adams" <mjadams25(a)ontel.net.uk> wrote in

> "Joe" <joe(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Gee, my 8 year old Dell is finally losing its battery. I now get a
>> warning when booting up- (forgot to write it down exactly) warning
>> about battery failure. So, I bought a new battery- but I just noticed
>> that the manual says I need to write down everything in Setup. Is
>> that really necessary? One friend suggested that if I make a restore
>> point before the replacement- it should contain that info, but I'm
>> not so sure of that.
>>
>> So, should I bother to write down everything in Setup? I should think
>> that a PC should be able to do this itself!
>>
>> Joe
>
> There's no need to write anything down.
>
> Switch on your printer.
>
> Reboot.
>
> Press the [F2] key during reboot to bring up page 1 the BIOS screen
>
> Press the [Print Screen] key.
>
> The machine will eventually print out page 1 of the BIOS settings
>
> Press [Alt] [P] to bring up page 2 of the BIOS settings
>
> Again press the [Print Screen ] key and the machine should eventually
> print out page 2 of the Bios settings.
>
> Printing page 2 can sometimes create problems - the printer may give
> an out of paper request which needs to be cancelled, on mine anyway.
> But persistence pays off.
>
> I only know this because I've got still a copy of the bios settings
> titled "CMOS SETUP" of two previous Dell machines, all neatly printed
> out. Not quite remembering how I did this, I've just now done this one
> as well, to be sure
>

> michael adams

That's news to me. I never thought you could print while in BIOS screens
because print drivers haven't loaded up yet. I'll have to try it. I've
always written down every BIOS setting when necessary, esp. when
resurecting someone else's machine.
From: Tom Lake on

>> So, should I bother to write down everything in Setup? I should think
>> that a
>> PC should be able to do this itself!
>>
>> Joe
>
> There's no need to write anything down.
>
> Switch on your printer.
>
> Reboot.
>
> Press the [F2] key during reboot to bring up page 1 the BIOS screen
>
> Press the [Print Screen] key.
>
> The machine will eventually print out page 1 of the BIOS settings

It doesn't work on a Studio XPS 9000 with no parallel port.
Are you using a parallel printer or a USB printer?

Tom Lake

From: Joe on
Well, I replaced the battery with no problem. The system booted up normally
into Windows but the time and date needed to be reset. The system was 8
years old so I supposed it was time for the battery to go.

BTW, I get better responses from this newsgroup- than from Dell's web based
support forum where I usually get no responses.

thanks,
Joe

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

Were it me, I'd forget totally about the Dell support forum. You will
generally get better information here anyway, because a lot of us have
numerous Dell systems in operation, both new and old.

William