From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> That's news to me. I never thought you could print while in BIOS screens
> because print drivers haven't loaded up yet. I'll have to try it. I've
> always written down every BIOS setting when necessary, esp. when
> resurecting someone else's machine.

You can only do this if there is a "real" printer attached to the *parallel
port*. USB printers and printers that don't have enough intelligence onboard
to print without hand-holding from a print driver won't work at all for this
trick.

But if you have an older inkjet or almost any laser printer that understands
PCL input without a special driver, and it's connected to the printer port,
this does usually work.

You may have to issue a "form feed" command to your printer if it seems to
do something but the page with the results doesn't actually come out.

William

From: Boris on
"William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1(a)idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com>
wrote in news:QPKdncr0OIJWBsnRnZ2dnUVZ_sqdnZ2d(a)mchsi.com:

> Hi!
>
>> That's news to me. I never thought you could print while in BIOS
>> screens because print drivers haven't loaded up yet. I'll have to
>> try it. I've always written down every BIOS setting when necessary,
>> esp. when resurecting someone else's machine.
>
> You can only do this if there is a "real" printer attached to the
> *parallel port*. USB printers and printers that don't have enough
> intelligence onboard to print without hand-holding from a print driver
> won't work at all for this trick.
>
> But if you have an older inkjet or almost any laser printer that
> understands PCL input without a special driver, and it's connected to
> the printer port, this does usually work.
>
> You may have to issue a "form feed" command to your printer if it
> seems to do something but the page with the results doesn't actually
> come out.
>
> William

Ah, I see. I have a LaserJet 6L (still going strong), connected via
parallel port to my Dell 4550. I'll try it. It does read PCL.
From: Boris on
Boris <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in

> "William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1(a)idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com>
> wrote in news:QPKdncr0OIJWBsnRnZ2dnUVZ_sqdnZ2d(a)mchsi.com:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>>> That's news to me. I never thought you could print while in BIOS
>>> screens because print drivers haven't loaded up yet. I'll have to
>>> try it. I've always written down every BIOS setting when necessary,
>>> esp. when resurecting someone else's machine.
>>
>> You can only do this if there is a "real" printer attached to the
>> *parallel port*. USB printers and printers that don't have enough
>> intelligence onboard to print without hand-holding from a print driver
>> won't work at all for this trick.
>>
>> But if you have an older inkjet or almost any laser printer that
>> understands PCL input without a special driver, and it's connected to
>> the printer port, this does usually work.
>>
>> You may have to issue a "form feed" command to your printer if it
>> seems to do something but the page with the results doesn't actually
>> come out.
>>
>> William
>>

> Ah, I see. I have a LaserJet 6L (still going strong), connected via
> parallel port to my Dell 4550. I'll try it. It does read PCL.

William,

Cool. Worked like a charm. I F2'd into Setup, simply pressed the "Print
Screen" key, the receiving data light on the 6L blinked, then solid, and
I pressed the "form feed" button on the 6L, and out came a beautiful
print screen.