From: baron on
JD Inscribed thus:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Advent-4489-laptop-keyboard-V022322BK1-k808kb_W0QQitemZ390099634550QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_ComputerComponents_KeyboardsMice?hash=item5ad3c00976

> if you take it to a pc repair shop they will charge you a fortune esp
> PC World.
>
> Good luck
> JD

I wouldn't touch the above part with a barge pole at that price under
those conditions. In my experience an awful lot of insurance claims
are for damage because of liquid spillage. Also coffee is quite
nasty ! It can do irepairable damage to the printed tracks on the
keyboard foils used.

The OP might get away with removing the keyboard and giving it a wash
with plain water and then letting it drain and dry out over a few days
in a warm airing cupboard.

This assumes that the OP has the skills to go down this route and remove
the keyboard without causing further damage.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Jeff Strickland on

"JD" <No.Reply(a)sorry.com> wrote in message
> DJH wrote:
>> I slopped half a cup of coffee (with sugar) over my Advent 4489. It
>> didn't all go directly over it but it splashed it. I dried it out and the
>> processor etc works ok but most of the keys on the keyboard aren't
>> working. It's only 6 months old but of course I can't find the receipt
>> etc for it now :-(. What's the likelihood of it being repaired at a
>> reasonable cost (i.e. under 100 quid - I'm in the UK) or is it scrap?
>>

> Hi DJH
>
> if it is only the keyboard that is not working this should be pretty
> simple to fix, the part you need is only �24 and you should be able to do
> it yourself, you usually take off the bezel above the keyboard (may have
> some buttons on it) and there will be a couple of screws once these are
> removed the keyboard will lift out, there is only one ribbon cable to
> remove/connect (there are release catches on the connector side use a
> small screwdriver and push them outward)
>
> once the keyboard is removed you can wash it using a shower head, wrap it
> in a towel and leave it on a radiator or somewhere warm for a few days
> till its completely dry then refit it, or replace with a new one
>
> part you might want:
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Advent-4489-laptop-keyboard-V022322BK1-k808kb_W0QQitemZ390099634550QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_ComputerComponents_KeyboardsMice?hash=item5ad3c00976
>
> if you take it to a pc repair shop they will charge you a fortune esp PC
> World.
>
> Good luck
> JD

The price is okay, I suppose. I don't know the exchange rate of the pound
vs. the dollar, but assuming an even exchange, twenty five dollars doesn't
seem bad. The problem is, you have no idea if the part works until you
discover that it doesn't. I have to know the price of a known-good keyboard
before I could pass judgement on the value of the part you found on eBay.

For a coffee (with cream and surgar) spill, I'd try cleaning the switches
before I spent a dime on parts or service. Keyboard these days are designed
well enough that internal damage should be minimal to non-existant for a
minor spill. Sticky keys might result, but this should be able to be
remedied through careful removal of the buttons affected and cleaning with a
suitable product. I'd consider contact cleaner, but a consideration is the
lubricant inside of the key switches that one would not want to wash out.

From: JD on
Jeff Strickland wrote:
> "JD" <No.Reply(a)sorry.com> wrote in message
>> DJH wrote:
>>> I slopped half a cup of coffee (with sugar) over my Advent 4489. It
>>> didn't all go directly over it but it splashed it. I dried it out and the
>>> processor etc works ok but most of the keys on the keyboard aren't
>>> working. It's only 6 months old but of course I can't find the receipt
>>> etc for it now :-(. What's the likelihood of it being repaired at a
>>> reasonable cost (i.e. under 100 quid - I'm in the UK) or is it scrap?
>>>
>> Hi DJH
>>
>> if it is only the keyboard that is not working this should be pretty
>> simple to fix, the part you need is only �24 and you should be able to do
>> it yourself, you usually take off the bezel above the keyboard (may have
>> some buttons on it) and there will be a couple of screws once these are
>> removed the keyboard will lift out, there is only one ribbon cable to
>> remove/connect (there are release catches on the connector side use a
>> small screwdriver and push them outward)
>>
>> once the keyboard is removed you can wash it using a shower head, wrap it
>> in a towel and leave it on a radiator or somewhere warm for a few days
>> till its completely dry then refit it, or replace with a new one
>>
>> part you might want:
>> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Advent-4489-laptop-keyboard-V022322BK1-k808kb_W0QQitemZ390099634550QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_ComputerComponents_KeyboardsMice?hash=item5ad3c00976
>>
>> if you take it to a pc repair shop they will charge you a fortune esp PC
>> World.
>>
>> Good luck
>> JD
>

> The price is okay, I suppose. I don't know the exchange rate of the pound
> vs. the dollar, but assuming an even exchange, twenty five dollars doesn't
> seem bad. The problem is, you have no idea if the part works until you
> discover that it doesn't. I have to know the price of a known-good keyboard
> before I could pass judgement on the value of the part you found on eBay.
>
> For a coffee (with cream and surgar) spill, I'd try cleaning the switches
> before I spent a dime on parts or service. Keyboard these days are designed
> well enough that internal damage should be minimal to non-existant for a
> minor spill. Sticky keys might result, but this should be able to be
> remedied through careful removal of the buttons affected and cleaning with a
> suitable product. I'd consider contact cleaner, but a consideration is the
> lubricant inside of the key switches that one would not want to wash out.

breakers, it was an example there are plenty of them on ebay, and quite
frankly the risk of �24 Vs �100+ is worth it. but you are quite right I
should have pointed out this fact (or possibly used one of the other
results).

as with all posts on newsgroups there are no guarantee's given, I
would assume the OP would remove his keyboard or atempt it before doing
anything else, once he has removed the keyboard, washing it would be a
sensible and free step, if that step didnt work, aquiring a keyboard
would be his next step, be it a cheap recovered/repaired or new. ether
way removing the keyboard is the first step even just to get the part
number, serching for the laptop make/model will yield some results but
the keyboard part number will result in many more options (part no. on
underside of KB), as keyboards are often used in different machines.

as for spills being the gratest cuase of laptop repairs thats debatable
I've seen far more drops than spills, where its the casings and screens
rather than spill's on the keyboard.

on a lighter note, this reminds me of when I bought a Brand new GFX
card, a X1950 PCI-E (was quite a while ago now) took it out of its
packaging, dismantled my pc, reached onto my desk to get my coffee and
knocked the mug of the desk the entire mug of coffee landed on the GFX
card, warrenty now stuffed i only had one choice, strip the card down
(remove heatsink and fan unit) wash the card, dry it and reassemble it
(reaplying thermal paste's etc) it worked perfictly, no real harm done.

guess the moral of the story is keep liquids away from electronic equipment.

Who all Pre-orderd Win7 if anyone that is?

JD
From: James D. Andrews on

> Who all Pre-orderd Win7 if anyone that is?
>
> JD

Not I.
As a standard rule, I wait to see what happens to everyone else before I
upgrade. I'd rather their systems be trashy than mine - although the
reviews on Win7 are overwhelmingly positive and the features displays I
watched on ZDNet were pretty cool.

From: BillW50 on
In news:hbsrl5$h1g$1(a)adenine.netfront.net,
James D. Andrews typed on Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:11:50 -0500:
> "JD" <No.Reply(a)sorry.com> wrote in message
>> Who all Pre-orderd Win7 if anyone that is?
>>
>> JD
>
> Not I.
> As a standard rule, I wait to see what happens to everyone else
> before I upgrade. I'd rather their systems be trashy than mine -
> although the reviews on Win7 are overwhelmingly positive and the
> features displays I watched on ZDNet were pretty cool.

Well I used to wait awhile before jumping on the bandwagon as well. And
I said before Vista came out that I wouldn't run it before 2011 when I
was forced into it. Well it looks like that isn't ever going happen. And
I didn't even run any Windows XP machines until 2006! ;-)

I also have so many computers and many backups that I can afford to try
new things and it won't affect my other systems. And Windows 7
evaluation version is totally free anyway, so why not? I also preordered
two Windows 7 copies back in July before I have had much experience with
it.

Now I have a lot my experience with Windows 7 on two different machines.
I am not impressed with it at all. And I can see how inexperienced users
would like it. As it holds your hand a lot. Protects one from doing
something stupid, has a lot of eye candy, etc. But those kinds of things
actually slow people like me down and are totally unnecessary. Worse, it
is much slower than Windows 2000/XP. And I don't like this at all and I
don't have any use for an OS like this.

Now my preordered Windows 7 just came in. And I have no interested in it
at all. So there they go on the shelf with the other unused junk I have
sitting there. :-(

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2