From: James D. Andrews on

"BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote in message
> In news:hbsrl5$h1g$1(a)adenine.netfront.net,
> James D. Andrews typed on Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:11:50 -0500:
>> "JD" <No.Reply(a)sorry.com> wrote in message
>>> Who all Pre-orderd Win7 if anyone that is?
>>>
>>> JD
>>
>> Not I.
>> As a standard rule, I wait to see what happens to everyone else
>> before I upgrade. I'd rather their systems be trashy than mine -
>> although the reviews on Win7 are overwhelmingly positive and the
>> features displays I watched on ZDNet were pretty cool.
>
> Well I used to wait awhile before jumping on the bandwagon as well. And I
> said before Vista came out that I wouldn't run it before 2011 when I was
> forced into it. Well it looks like that isn't ever going happen. And I
> didn't even run any Windows XP machines until 2006! ;-)

> I also have so many computers and many backups that I can afford to try
> new things and it won't affect my other systems. And Windows 7 evaluation
> version is totally free anyway, so why not? I also preordered two Windows
> 7 copies back in July before I have had much experience with it.
>
> Now I have a lot my experience with Windows 7 on two different machines. I
> am not impressed with it at all. And I can see how inexperienced users
> would like it. As it holds your hand a lot. Protects one from doing
> something stupid, has a lot of eye candy, etc. But those kinds of things
> actually slow people like me down and are totally unnecessary. Worse, it
> is much slower than Windows 2000/XP. And I don't like this at all and I
> don't have any use for an OS like this.
>
> Now my preordered Windows 7 just came in. And I have no interested in it
> at all. So there they go on the shelf with the other unused junk I have
> sitting there. :-(
>
> --
> Bill
> Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2

I don't have the luxury of running numerous more-or-less up-to-date
machines, though I provide basic tech support to quite a few, so I make do
with what I have on hand. This is why I need to hold off and see what
problems are noted with the OS before I jump into the pool.

You point out two of Win7's features as "totally unnecessary," specifically
the improved user interface and improved protection against user errors.
Now, features that are a significant aid to most users aren't really
"unnecessary" just because you as an individual power user don't need or
want them. They're still there should you decide to use these features
later. I'm actually grateful for these features so that it's a little less
likely for my users to **** things up. Of course, I'm not making $$$ off my
repair work.

The biggest problem noted with Windows 7 so far is the lack of a mail tool.
Supposedly, neither Outlook Express nor Vista's mail program are included in
the Win7 package, and this bites. Now I have to try several mail tools and
find one I like. Since I've been using OE for so long, I'm not looking
forward to it. Something about old dogs and new tricks.

Whether I agree or not, it is good to hear your review of the OS. I like to
hear both good and bad things about a product before I buy. More informed
decision and all that.

Aren't you going to sell your unused copies of Win7 instead of leaving them
on a shelf?
Are you going to upgrade your XP to SP3? If not, why?

From: BillW50 on
James D. Andrews wrote on Sat, 24 Oct 2009 15:13:14 -0500:
> "BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote in message
>> In news:hbsrl5$h1g$1(a)adenine.netfront.net,
>> James D. Andrews typed on Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:11:50 -0500:
>>> "JD" <No.Reply(a)sorry.com> wrote in message

>>> Not I.
>>> As a standard rule, I wait to see what happens to everyone else
>>> before I upgrade. I'd rather their systems be trashy than mine -
>>> although the reviews on Win7 are overwhelmingly positive and the
>>> features displays I watched on ZDNet were pretty cool.
>> Well I used to wait awhile before jumping on the bandwagon as well. And I
>> said before Vista came out that I wouldn't run it before 2011 when I was
>> forced into it. Well it looks like that isn't ever going happen. And I
>> didn't even run any Windows XP machines until 2006! ;-)
>
>> I also have so many computers and many backups that I can afford to try
>> new things and it won't affect my other systems. And Windows 7 evaluation
>> version is totally free anyway, so why not? I also preordered two Windows
>> 7 copies back in July before I have had much experience with it.
>>
>> Now I have a lot my experience with Windows 7 on two different machines. I
>> am not impressed with it at all. And I can see how inexperienced users
>> would like it. As it holds your hand a lot. Protects one from doing
>> something stupid, has a lot of eye candy, etc. But those kinds of things
>> actually slow people like me down and are totally unnecessary. Worse, it
>> is much slower than Windows 2000/XP. And I don't like this at all and I
>> don't have any use for an OS like this.
>>
>> Now my preordered Windows 7 just came in. And I have no interested in it
>> at all. So there they go on the shelf with the other unused junk I have
>> sitting there. :-(
>>
>> --
>> Bill
>> Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2
>
> I don't have the luxury of running numerous more-or-less up-to-date
> machines, though I provide basic tech support to quite a few, so I make do
> with what I have on hand. This is why I need to hold off and see what
> problems are noted with the OS before I jump into the pool.

I believe that is the best way to do it James.

> You point out two of Win7's features as "totally unnecessary," specifically
> the improved user interface and improved protection against user errors.
> Now, features that are a significant aid to most users aren't really
> "unnecessary" just because you as an individual power user don't need or
> want them. They're still there should you decide to use these features
> later. I'm actually grateful for these features so that it's a little less
> likely for my users to **** things up. Of course, I'm not making $$$ off my
> repair work.

Yes I fully understand why Microsoft has done this and why most people
would welcome it. And I have no problems here at all. Although for me
and I am a minority, they all can't be disabled. So I am sort of out of
luck.

> The biggest problem noted with Windows 7 so far is the lack of a mail tool.
> Supposedly, neither Outlook Express nor Vista's mail program are included in
> the Win7 package, and this bites. Now I have to try several mail tools and
> find one I like. Since I've been using OE for so long, I'm not looking
> forward to it. Something about old dogs and new tricks.

Well Microsoft does have Windows Live Mail for free that works on
Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. Parts of it are OE like while other
parts are not. That is what I use on my Windows 7 machines.

> Whether I agree or not, it is good to hear your review of the OS. I like to
> hear both good and bad things about a product before I buy. More informed
> decision and all that.

Yes that is very wise. And remember I am just a minority.

> Aren't you going to sell your unused copies of Win7 instead of leaving them
> on a shelf?

I might do that. As it has passed my mind anyway. ;-)

> Are you going to upgrade your XP to SP3? If not, why?

Two of mine are SP3. But the others have to stay at SP2 do to I have
Microsoft EWF installed on them and SP3 breaks it. This makes the system
drive as read only. So it can't get infected with anything. But you can
toggle it on and off if you do want to write to it once in awhile.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
From: JD on
James D. Andrews wrote:

> I don't have the luxury of running numerous more-or-less up-to-date
> machines, though I provide basic tech support to quite a few, so I make do
> with what I have on hand. This is why I need to hold off and see what
> problems are noted with the OS before I jump into the pool.
>
> You point out two of Win7's features as "totally unnecessary," specifically
> the improved user interface and improved protection against user errors.
> Now, features that are a significant aid to most users aren't really
> "unnecessary" just because you as an individual power user don't need or
> want them. They're still there should you decide to use these features
> later. I'm actually grateful for these features so that it's a little less
> likely for my users to **** things up. Of course, I'm not making $$$ off my
> repair work.

I'm in two minds about the interface on one hand its clean and easy to
navigate, but they have hidden things like folder options,requires
serching the help file and clicking a button all this to turn off hide
extensions, show all files, as for the other nanying it can be turned
off however it is not as bad as vista.

other usefull features include xp mode (seperate download, win7 Pro+),
defender, MRT, windows firewall (inbound and outbound rules) and free
antivirus (seperate download, xp,vista,win7)

program compatability, no problems so far everything works, things that
do have small problems you just turn compatability mode on and tell the
program its XP sp2.

> The biggest problem noted with Windows 7 so far is the lack of a mail tool.
> Supposedly, neither Outlook Express nor Vista's mail program are included in
> the Win7 package, and this bites. Now I have to try several mail tools and
> find one I like. Since I've been using OE for so long, I'm not looking
> forward to it. Something about old dogs and new tricks.

I can see your point but Outlook is a huge problem there are plenty of
free email clients out there, and with most people using webmail these
days it's not really a probelm, but I guess your like me and like a mail
client :)

I do belive Outlook is still supplied in the MS Office package tho so it
wont effect buisness customers.

> Whether I agree or not, it is good to hear your review of the OS. I like to
> hear both good and bad things about a product before I buy. More informed
> decision and all that.

I have said before that I like win7, have been using it since beta and
RC and I receved my copy of win7 pro (full retail) on release day and
installed it, it is worth getting while its cheap BTW, I got the Full
retail as I'm a EU customer and the IE was supposed to be removed, but I
can confirm that the EU copy HAS IE and there were no choice windows
(supposed to chose between IE, firefox, opera and a few others)

Full retail package includes 32 bit, 64bit, upgrade and clean install.

> Aren't you going to sell your unused copies of Win7 instead of leaving them
> on a shelf?
> Are you going to upgrade your XP to SP3? If not, why?

SP3 has a few bugs, theres one particular one that messes up the Realtec
Audio driver, you have to install XP sp2 , audio driver then SP3 or it
will not work, so XP SP3 slipstream disks are problematic.

I think Bill mentiond on an erlier post that it was slow, I have not
expierenced this at all I'd say it was faster (Qaud core, virulisation
support, 4GB ram, also tested on AMD 64x2, 4Gb ram) should probably
assemble an old AMD socket A 2600+ and try it on that see how it pans out.

JD