From: smurf on
the_niner_nation wrote:
> ok windows convert for the time it takes for apple to start shipping
> it's quadcore mac..and wondering whats a good newsreader for the mac?
>
> in windows, windows mail/outlook express were more than adequate for
> my needs, and looking for something similar to run on a mac. i dont
> have any need whatsoever for binary NG's, just text ones like these...
>
> so sorry if this has been asked before, but thanks in advance to all..

I give up and now remote desktop into my xp machine and read newsgroups from
there. I dont even like windows mail newsgroups, yuk, has to be outlook
express with oe-quotefix.

From: Andy Hewitt on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> Andy Hewitt <thewildrover(a)me.com> wrote:
[..]
> > It's been asked many many times, and you'll get many many different
> > answers, and indeed many silly arguments as to what's best.
>
> Such arguments here tend to be purely silly, with no-one taking them
> seriously.
>
> > Best thing to do, IMHO, is trundle off to www.macorchard.com. and have a
> > look and see what takes your fancy, download demos, and give them a try
> >
> > Personally, I've tried most of them, and still stick with MacSOUP.
>
> Ditto. But: I found MacSoup to be an acquired taste. I didn't like it
> for several weeks but now it'd be hard to persuade me to give it up.

Indeed, much the same here. In fact IIRC it was yourself that convinced
me to keep trying, and I did get it in the end. It's by no means
perfect, but I can't find any other news reader that's any better either
(at least not one with such a neat way to view threads).

--
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>
From: J. J. Lodder on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> J. J. Lodder <nospam(a)de-ster.demon.nl> wrote:
>
> > the_niner_nation <the_niner_nation(a)sf49ers.com> wrote:
> >
> > > ok windows convert for the time it takes for apple to start shipping it's
> > > quadcore mac..and wondering whats a good newsreader for the mac?
> > >
> > > in windows, windows mail/outlook express were more than adequate for my
> > > needs, and looking for something similar to run on a mac. i dont have any
> > > need whatsoever for binary NG's, just text ones like these...
> > >
> > > so sorry if this has been asked before, but thanks in advance to all..
> >
> > For just text try MacSoup
> > It's a disaster to learn,
>
> <puzzled> Not really - and that's me saying so, me who bangs on about
> the need for really good manuals and so on.

Perhaps you have forgotten?

> > you really have to read the manual,
>
> Only for how to set it up and what the symbols in the graphical thread
> display mean. The manual's not hugely useful if you understand Usenet,
> since the UI is mostly bloody obvious and it seems to me that the fancy
> keyboard navigation stuff is all pointless. Certainly, MacSoup's author
> seems to want to force his users to interact with Usenet in a way that I
> don't want to.

The efficiency of MacSoup results from using its keyboard shortcuts.

> > and it takes time to get used to its quirks.
>
> Yep.
>
> > Once learned it is an efficient tool
> > to handle large volumes of postings.
>
> Eh? Not sure what you mean by that.
>
> > Don't use it's built in mailer though,
>
> Yep. I've set the email server details to a non-existent server so I
> don't run in to trouble that way.

And MacSoup allows for some redirection of email
to an external mailer, Eudora for example,

Jan
From: Simon Dobbs on
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 10:50:29 +0000, Rowland McDonnell wrote
(in article
<1j8jubw.bojjoh1nrrhkrN%real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid>):

> Simon Dobbs <simondobbs(a)froglet.net> wrote:
>
>> Rowland McDonnell wrote:
>>
>>> Most Mac-like means that there's not anything to recommend it - it's
>>> like claiming that something's `old' and must be replaced with the `new'
>>> stuff because `new' is always better, sortathing, changing the issue
>>> under discussion away from `useful functional issues' to `pointless
>>> bickering about meaningless bollocks'.
>>
>> no it doesn't
>
> QED.
>
> Rowland.

Ok- I happen to like hogwasher, you happen to prefer macsoup. I guess that we
have both tried both (or else we wouldn't be able to be so assertive in our
opinions), and having done so still maintain the same position. I wonder why
your opinion is so much better than mine?

From: Rowland McDonnell on
Andy Hewitt <thewildrover(a)me.com> wrote:

> Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Andy Hewitt <thewildrover(a)me.com> wrote:
> [..]
> > > It's been asked many many times, and you'll get many many different
> > > answers, and indeed many silly arguments as to what's best.
> >
> > Such arguments here tend to be purely silly, with no-one taking them
> > seriously.
> >
> > > Best thing to do, IMHO, is trundle off to www.macorchard.com. and have a
> > > look and see what takes your fancy, download demos, and give them a try
> > >
> > > Personally, I've tried most of them, and still stick with MacSOUP.
> >
> > Ditto. But: I found MacSoup to be an acquired taste. I didn't like it
> > for several weeks but now it'd be hard to persuade me to give it up.
>
> Indeed, much the same here. In fact IIRC it was yourself that convinced
> me to keep trying, and I did get it in the end. It's by no means
> perfect, but I can't find any other news reader that's any better either
> (at least not one with such a neat way to view threads).

It's the graphical thread display and the off-line-ness which I like the
most. Quite a lot of the MacSoup UI is a bit odd and I can think of
modifications I'd find useful, but like you I can't find anything
better.

I've tried a few on-line newsreaders and I really can't see the
attraction. Well, aside from browsing for pictures - but I've only ever
done that in a spirit of investigation (honest, yer honour).

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me