From: the_niner_nation on
ok windows convert for the time it takes for apple to start shipping it's
quadcore mac..and wondering whats a good newsreader for the mac?

in windows, windows mail/outlook express were more than adequate for my
needs, and looking for something similar to run on a mac. i dont have any
need whatsoever for binary NG's, just text ones like these...

so sorry if this has been asked before, but thanks in advance to all..

From: T i m on
On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 19:52:28 -0000, "the_niner_nation"
<the_niner_nation(a)sf49ers.com> wrote:

>ok windows convert for the time it takes for apple to start shipping it's
>quadcore mac..and wondering whats a good newsreader for the mac?

Highly subjective that one.

For example the lack of an sufficiently Agent-alike n/r is one of the
main things stopping me using OSX as a daily desktop OS.

Further, recommendations re what is a good n/r are often way off what
I would even consider functional, let alone good, yet many folk may
think same is the best thing since sliced bread and hate Agent etc.

However, if you were happy with the Usenet client in OE (don't think
I've ever used it in earnest myself) then you may have more of a
choice.

I have tried the one in Thunderbird and whilst I think it 'worked', it
wasn't Agent. ;-)

Cheers and good luck!

T i m

p.s. I'm still using a fairly old version (V2) and not necessarily in
the default layout (before people go on about 'multiple panes') ;-)
From: Gareth Slee on
the_niner_nation <the_niner_nation(a)sf49ers.com> wrote:

> ok windows convert for the time it takes for apple to start shipping it's
> quadcore mac..and wondering whats a good newsreader for the mac?
>
> in windows, windows mail/outlook express were more than adequate for my
> needs, and looking for something similar to run on a mac. i dont have any
> need whatsoever for binary NG's, just text ones like these...
>
> so sorry if this has been asked before, but thanks in advance to all..

Age old question but still a valid one.
I use MacSoup but it's *nothing* like Outllok Express.
Thunderbird is similar so maybe start there and in time try MacSoup or
the myriad of other Mac apps...

Start here...
http://www.newsreaders.com/mac/clients.html

--
Gareth Slee
From: Simon Dobbs on
On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 20:23:53 +0000, Gareth Slee wrote
(in article <1j8ir48.6i942u1tefhk8N%gax.slee(a)ntlworld.com>):

> the_niner_nation <the_niner_nation(a)sf49ers.com> wrote:
>
>> ok windows convert for the time it takes for apple to start shipping it's
>> quadcore mac..and wondering whats a good newsreader for the mac?
>>
>> in windows, windows mail/outlook express were more than adequate for my
>> needs, and looking for something similar to run on a mac. i dont have any
>> need whatsoever for binary NG's, just text ones like these...
>>
>> so sorry if this has been asked before, but thanks in advance to all..
>
> Age old question but still a valid one.
> I use MacSoup but it's *nothing* like Outllok Express.
> Thunderbird is similar so maybe start there and in time try MacSoup or
> the myriad of other Mac apps...
>
> Start here...
> http://www.newsreaders.com/mac/clients.html

Use Hogwasher- it's the most mac- like newsreader, and is thoroughly
consistent. Otherwise, try MT newswatcher.

From: Andy Hewitt on
the_niner_nation <the_niner_nation(a)sf49ers.com> wrote:

> ok windows convert for the time it takes for apple to start shipping it's
> quadcore mac..and wondering whats a good newsreader for the mac?
>
> in windows, windows mail/outlook express were more than adequate for my
> needs, and looking for something similar to run on a mac. i dont have any
> need whatsoever for binary NG's, just text ones like these...
>
> so sorry if this has been asked before, but thanks in advance to all..

It's been asked many many times, and you'll get many many different
answers, and indeed many silly arguments as to what's best.

Best thing to do, IMHO, is trundle off to www.macorchard.com. and have a
look and see what takes your fancy, download demos, and give them a try

Personally, I've tried most of them, and still stick with MacSOUP.

--
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>