From: suhas_tu on
A ppt file which I had worked on earlier now refuses to open using
PowerPoint. I get a error window with the message " PowerPoint can't read the
outline from c:\users|abcd.ppt. No text converter is installed for this file
type.

I am surprised because this is a file that I had created and worked on and
now it doesn't open in PowerPoint. All work gone to waste?
From: Michael Koerner on
If your using PowerPoint 2007 it might be that the PowerPoint presentation
was created in PowerPoint 95 and 2007 cannot open presentations created that
far back. You would have to use an earlier version of PowerPoint to open the
presentation.

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint

From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <756FEAB5-0762-49BC-8F1B-0CCBA0BC0AD4(a)microsoft.com>, Suhas tu wrote:
> A ppt file which I had worked on earlier now refuses to open using
> PowerPoint. I get a error window with the message " PowerPoint can't read the
> outline from c:\users|abcd.ppt. No text converter is installed for this file
> type.
>
> I am surprised because this is a file that I had created and worked on and
> now it doesn't open in PowerPoint. All work gone to waste?

If you normally save files to a removable drive (external hard drive, USB memory
stick or the like) I wouldn't do that. Instead, save to your local hard drive
then COPY to the external. Otherwise your files can be corrupted, which is one
cause for the error message you're seeing.

Here are some suggestions you can try to recover the presentation:

Recovering a corrupt presentation
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00108.htm

PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/