From: Daave on
Please read it again, Jonny_S. SC Tom had written:

> Crosspost, do not multipost
> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm

Cross-posting is preferred over multi-posting. If someone multi-posts,
the original poster does not get the benefit of the maximum number of
potential responders (because a poster in one group won't get the chance
to add something important to a response made in the other group). It is
also a courtesy to the people who wish to follow the thread (not to
mention, it saves people who don't have unlimited Internet access a
little bit of money and/or time). Anything that improves your chances of
receiveing help is a good thing!

Of course, some of the above might not make sense to a person who is
using a Web site interface to Usenet. If you are interested in
participating in news groups, you will have a *much* better experience
using a news reader. Presumably you are running Windows XP, which comes
with Outlook Express, which can handle newsgroups. Further information
can be found here:

http://www.insideoe.com/resources/communities.htm

And here is a clickable link to the help_and_support newsgroup:

Another reason to avoid the Web interface is that often posts get lost
there!

From: Roy Smith on
On 1/18/2010 8:14 PM, SC Tom wrote:
> eleaticus wrote:
>> "SC Tom" <sc(a)tom.net> wrote in message

>>> Crosspost, do not multipost
>>> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm --
>>> SC Tom
>>
>> LOL Have heard a lot of "don't cross post" in the past.
>
> If you crosspost, you'll see all replies from each group you posted to
> in one message instead of having to go to each group, like you have to
> by multiposting.

Also another benefit of crossposting is that in a decent newsreader you
will only see the crossposted messages once, instead of seeing them in
each newsgroup they are posted in.

--

Roy Smith
Windows 7

Timestamp: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:50:43 AM
From: John John - MVP on
You're not crossposting you're multiposting, there is a difference.
Crossposting is fine as long as you don't overdo it and as long as you
crosspost to relevant groups.

For an example of why multiposting is bad go in the other newsgroups
where you posted to see possible solutions. If you had crossposted
instead of multiposting the answers from respondents in other groups
would also appear here. And of course you won't see this reply in the
other groups where you multiposted. This not only wastes your time,
going from one group to the other to read replies to your question, but
it also wastes the time of the respondents as they may be answering
questions that we already answered in another group. It can also reduce
the quality of the help that you receive as one of the strengths of peer
help groups is that the answers can be reviewed by other readers and
they can add supplementary information to the advice already given or
point out potential problems or mistakes with the suggested fix.
Finally, many of the helpers will not bother with your post if they see
that it was multiposted, they don't want to put their effort into giving
answers which might have already been suggested and discussed in other
groups.

Multiposting vs Crossposting

John

From: neil on

"eleaticus" <eleaticus(a)bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I have proved insufficient in finding web solution, so please tell me:
>
> how to get my old DOS database program running on XP? The error message
> is
> that it is trying to access the hard drive??
>
> That's true!
>
> As far as I know there is no firewall, the AVG is out on this inherited
> system
>
> Thanks
>
> oren

Try dosbox